Military Discounts

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
A couple of notes on these discounts:

Home-Depo is now requiring "Service Connected" on the VA card and enforcing it unlike in the past.

Also, at Cabela's, they no longer give the vet discount on firearms. I just discovered that an hour ago. Cabela's was recently bought out by Bass Pro Shops and are stopping *ALL* discounts on firearms, which includes the vet discount.

-Don- Reno

toyhunt

Obsessed Member
A couple of notes on these discounts:

Home-Depo is now requiring "Service Connected" on the VA card and enforcing it unlike in the past.

Also, at Cabela's, they no longer give the vet discount on firearms. I just discovered that an hour ago. Cabela's was recently bought out by Bass Pro Shops and are stopping *ALL* discounts on firearms, which includes the vet discount.

-Don- Reno
Depends on store manager and employee.Someone setting up this has no clue what they are talking about.. I get it at my closest HD, all the time,, but the other side of Flagstaff, at times doesn't?

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Here, in Auburn, CA, it used to depend on the employee and I could always get the discount without the "Service Connected". Just find the older employees who didn't enforce it. The new hires always did. Anyway, all that changed and now they all want to see the "Service Connected", even the employees that never did before. It's to the point I gave up even trying here in Auburn. Perhaps Reno HD will still accept the VA card that is not "service connected".

I think it's a bad policy and they shouldn't have the discount at all or else give it to all vets. My Fudd friend who never left the USA during the Vietnam Era, has "Service Connected" on his VA card because he was an aircraft mechanic in Phoenix , AZ and flunked a hearing test at VA a few years ago. That they never question and automatically assume the hearing loss is "service connected". But the real reason could be that he rides motorcycles a lot, which is well proven to be bad for hearing. Or it could be just because of aging.

I was a grunt in Vietnam, but no known problems, so I am not "service connected".

But even if somebody has a Medal of Honor or whatever, if not "service connected", no discount. I think HD's policy can piss a lot of people off.

BTW, I could probably also get the "Service Connected" VA card by flunking their hearing test. There are a lot of loud noises associated with being a combat vet and we didn't have ear muffs. I assume I also had an army MOS (11B) that they won't question if I have bad hearing even now in my old age.

-Don- Auburn, CA

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
On the Lowe's v. Home Depot tangent; Lowe's new way to do the discount is that you can register online or show your DD-214 to the Customer Service Desk, and they will verify your military veteran status ONCE into their system. Now, I just check out with a phone number (which I used anyway to track purchases for returns and other reasons) and I get my 10% off everything in the store.

Guess where my $1-3k monthly hardware store budget now goes?

I usually had defaulted to Home Depot because they still have more inventory, especially with less common electrical fittings, but well, 10% is 10% and Lowe's has what I need most of the time. That was when it didn't matter because all of them stopped accepting DD-214 at the register.