• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Montana Elk Hunt during the Rut

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Getting ready to head to Montana, Hunting Elk during the rut with a rifle, we'll be in there for a week in our drop camp....should be a blast. We have an outfitter that is going to take us in on horseback and drop us off in the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness area just north of Yellowstone park...Should be awesome if we can keep from getting eaten by grizzlies and wolves!! We are planning on bringing lots of ammo...may have to defend our kill until the outfitter comes back in to get us.

I will post pictures...also I am driving up so I am going to stop and pick up game cameras in Utah so I will post any pictures that I may have up there in my mule deer unit...looking forward to a busy hunting season this year!!! Here is the practice target:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Rut

The elk are rutting from mid September to mid October....last time I checked anyway...:smilewinkgrin: Usually the only people who get to hunt while the ELK are in the rut are the bow and arrow guys, but Montana allows the rifle guys to join in the fun in certain wilderness areas that are only accessible by horse back...or a very dedicated hiker who is willing to make many many trips back in and out to pack out an animal on their back.

copied from a montana website:

The peak of the elk rut is approximately September 15-22. ...

The season opens on the 15th of september, we are going in on the 13th so we will be in there and set up for opening day. I didn't realize that I hadn't posted the date.

Last edited:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
practicing

Yeah, was sending some rounds with the 06, making sure that I can hit the broad side of an elk out to 300...past that we will break out the artillery.

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
The 30/06

Yeah, it is doing good so far. I shot at 100, 200, and 300. I could aim center mass at 1 and 2. At 3 I had to hold top of back to get center mass hit.

If I get the NF in the next few days it is going to make the trip with me so I will be swapping it out and re-zeroing this weekend. I am planning on making some range cards for deer and elk, so I can just count the moa lines on the reticle and quickly look at my card and make a range determination....especially if the laser isn't working (sometimes on non reflective targets, the laser rangefinder can be a challenge) Anything outside of 300 yards the Big Bad Barrett will go to work!!!:scsniper2:

Example: Average height from top of back to belly on elk is 36", count 6 moa lines on elevation = 600 yards. I am going to make a card for 1/4 moa increments so that I have my stuff together at the moment of truth.

Height of Mule Deer Back to belly 24", count 6moa lines = 400 yards....etc. etc.etc.

Like Vegas50 was saying, the scope will be 5x the price of the rifle, but I think that moa reticle is going to be awesome...very useful tool in the field...damn vegas50 and Jfcomfort....baaaaad influences!!!:nono:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Bad influences

LMAO:lkick: Between the new scope and the dpms 6.5 creedmoor...before too long I may have to just STAY in the wilderness area where we are hunting cuz the wife aint gonna let me come home!!!

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
LMAO:lkick: Between the new scope and the dpms 6.5 creedmoor...before too long I may have to just STAY in the wilderness area where we are hunting cuz the wife aint gonna let me come home!!!
Vegas50 is more to blame than me!! He has me running in circles trying to trade for a Glock 34.

Vegas50

1 Mile Shot Club
Vegas50 is more to blame than me!! He has me running in circles trying to trade for a Glock 34.
It wasn't like selling ice to Eskimos. :lol:

Its all good, if i remember correctly you had me squeezing saving accounts to get a custom 6.5creedmoor. Its one vicious cycle.

Last edited:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Practice target for hunt

I WILL BE PUTTING SOME ROUNDS ON THIS BADBOY, NOW IT IS PAINTED UP AND READY FOR SOME LEAD.

:scsniper2:

Are you really going to try a head shot on a elk ?? lol I'm sure your not...lol

If so, your a stud.. I go for the 24" +/- kill zone behind the shoulder...

Cool target btw..

Maybe you can bring that thing out to dsrpc and I can shoot at it also. I'll bring the beverages and paint.

Rick

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Head shot on the elk

I will go for the head shot every time.....at the steel one!!! Yeah, I am not going to play around when it is for real, but it is fun to practice with!:scsniper2:

HOGNUTS

Obsessed Member
Here are some pics from my cousin and uncles game cam

Here is some of my uncle f-ing with my cousin in his gorilla suit? We gave him a hard time asking him if he and my aunt have been playing a little tarzan and jane...lmfao!

The elusive bigfoot has been spotted in the Black Hills of South Dakota!!! :001_tongue:

Here is my cousin's response to the uncle's harassment...he's gonna hang this in a local bar!!!lmao

Last edited: