• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

More wood

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
At least there are a enough 1903 rifles to go around, but personally I hate to see any milsurp rifle not in its as issued state. I know that belief has only recently (last 10-20 years?) come around and in the immediate post war years modifications were common, but I view these rifles as war relics that should be respected as such.

TJ11

uber n00b
That is in the issued state. It's a 1936 Trophy rife awarded to the high score at the DCM/NRA matches.

NOT some sported abortion!

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
That is in the issued state. It's a 1936 Trophy rife awarded to the high score at the DCM/NRA matches.

NOT some sported abortion!
I guess it depends on your definition of sported abortion.

It may have been “issued” by the DMC/NRA but that sure looks like a cut down stock and a non factory set of diopter sights.

It’s not a bubba job, but it isn’t a military issue 1903 either.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
You need to brush up on the DCM history.

Good luck.
You mean the same DCM that is the same program that is now the CMP that runs camp perry each year? The same DCM that was administered by the US army for a significant period of time? That DCM?

Yes I’m familiar. That doesn’t mean that someone at the DCM didn’t decide to modify an existing 1903, or build up a special rifle for the competition.

IMHO to call that particular 1903 a military issue rifle because the us army ran the DCM at the time and the DMC awarded the rifle is a stretch, but as they say everyone has one, just like...

NRA sporters left Springfield factory that way so it wasn't as if the NRA/DCM decided to modify an existing rifle. Pretty rare and beautiful rifle. Probably less than 4000 true documented NRA sporters built by Springfield.

Was issued and trained with a 1903 in Navy boot camp, 1963. Got to clean it, care for it and learn the drill. Used it for "guard" duty, protecting the clotheslines from make believe intruders. :) We used the Garand M1 to qualify. Maybe I should buy a 1903 for old times sake.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
NRA sporters left Springfield factory that way so it wasn't as if the NRA/DCM decided to modify an existing rifle. Pretty rare and beautiful rifle. Probably less than 4000 true documented NRA sporters built by Springfield.
Got ya. Like I said, I figured it was likely specially built for the competition.

The 1903 rifle was the base for the overwhelming majority of US bolt action rifles for a solid 50 years or so. The notion that there were factory produced sporter rifles isn’t far fetched at all.

I still prefer the usual military issue rifles. I wouldn’t call it a military issued 1903. It can be a factory rifle and not military issue. However I have no doubt the rifle in question is rare and valuable, just not my cup of tea.

Was issued and trained with a 1903 in Navy boot camp, 1963. Got to clean it, care for it and learn the drill. Used it for "guard" duty, protecting the clotheslines from make believe intruders. :) We used the Garand M1 to qualify. Maybe I should buy a 1903 for old times sake.
Out there making sure no subversives came by in the night to steal your clothes stops? How would you hang your clothes to dry if that happened?

bob