My 2019 archery buck

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
It’s been a very busy year so far, but I did find some time to explore some new areas in 26. The trails getting to these places were extremely rough. It was taking me 1hr and 15 minutes to go 7 miles in my Jeep. After scouting I decided to hunt a place that never sees people. Opening morning my son and I were in the blind. First time in the blind we built, so we were clueless as to where the deer would come from. At 7:15 three bucks show up and I’m still sitting down. 🤦‍♂️ The deer were at ten yards. I finally got stood up for a shot. It took forever with three deer taking turns starring at me. I finally get drawn, then I release. My arrow deflated off of a branch of a bush, and I missed a nice 3x3 buck. Next morning I was ready, here come two bucks from a different direction. One forked Horn and one nice 180+ 4X4. I’m ready man at full draw the forky stops in front of me, then the big bucks steps in front of me. I release, and shot over the big buck at 8 yards. I look at my son and say I couldn’t have missed. He’s was at 8 yards, but I did.

So the next weekend I was in the blind by myself. Here come in 2 bucks, one small 4x4 and the 3x3 that I had already shot at opening morning. I had no interest in him after seeing that big buck. So I wait, and 3 more bucks came in. None of them the deer I was looking for. The following Saturday my son and I was in the blind. After months of going to this spot someone finally came in there. They even poached a chucker. Needless to say nothing came in.
So on Labor Day we went another blind. All is looking good and here come some bucks. With a cow elk in the lead, damn elk. So here am am again at full draw, deer and the cow are close. The cow is in the lead, I’m moments from shooting at another nice buck. The cow elk spooks at something and the deer scattered. So we wait. All of the sudden here come more deer. About 20 of them from different directions. They all bust me big time, I’m like a sitting duck. Here are all of these deer standing 20 yards from me, looking at me. I can’t even move, and the deer leave.
Thursday I take the day off of work and find myself back in the blind. Here come two bucks. A forky and a small 4x4. I’m running out of time so it’s time to shoot something. I range where the deer will come out at and it’s 40 yards. At full draw I’m ready, the 4x4 steps out and I release. It’s a hit, the deer jumps forwards and turns around. Standing behind a tree I don’t have a shot. Then he just steps out from behind the tree and I send another. Another solid hit, the deer takes off down hill. Then falls over. All and all a awesome hunt. Lots of ups and downs but that’s archery hunting.
1568081046319.jpg

1568081074488.jpg

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
That's awesome, Dusty! I had tag soup for my archery hunt up in 14 this year. Glad you got it done! Sounds like you had to work a little for this one but that just makes the meat taste a little better. :)

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Hey Dusty, I just noticed your knife in the picture. The belly of the blade is larger than what I am use to seeing for processing deer. May I ask what brand? Also, did you use it for both skinning and quartering?

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yep, I use it for everything. I bought 4 of these from a ol boy in New Mexico. All of them a little different shape. He made them in his spare time. He made them from old saw mill blades. They are hard as hell to get sharp, but once you do they hold a edge like no other. I don’t even know if he is still alive.