My first IDPA Match recap.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Just wanted to say a big THANKS to @PM720 for extending an invite to todays IDPA match at DSRPC. The match ran well, the stages were fun, and everyone was friendly and helpful.

Some takeaways I thought I would share, it’s a bit long winded but I hope it will spur someone into coming out and having the same fun I did today.

I know many guys that say they need more practice before they go to a match. The reality is you will probably not do well ( read that as you will suck) unless you are already a 3 gunner or USPSA shooter; so just get the first match in the books and see how it goes. If you can punch paper at 10 to 20 yards and can safely holster and reload you will be fine. Don’t be a knucklehead and most people will help you out. If you don’t understand just ask, I was on a great squad that helped with all the questions I had and I ask a lot of questions.

From a gear standpoint, I used my Glock 19, a $30 kydex holster, two mag pouches (one that was an $8 Blackhawk pouch) and my CCW belt, so was really no investment, stuff I already had. I used a button-up fishing shirt for my cover garment so again nothing I had to buy; so don’t think you have to spend a bunch of money to shoot a match. Comparatively my USPSA rig was close to $300 by itself and I had $1k in the Glock 34.

So what did I learn today? Well after shooting two trap leagues back to back and spending most of my free time busting clays, my pistol shooting has deteriorated. Also, when I do shoot pistol at the range I stick to steel or paper punching with some transitions, movement and reloading; but those items need to be more dynamic and required each trip.

Also I shot in a fashion that I had never done or rarely do, so think about adding some of these to your range days:
  • Shoot holding a baby doll on my weak side and draw/fire with strong side. (I’m probably not going to run out a buy a doll, but holding something while shooting is an item to practice)
  • Shoot one handed (yes I have done it before but can’t remember when I actually practiced it.)
  • Shoot sitting in a chair (yep that’s a new one)
  • Shoot from cover (not something I practice)
  • Shoot targets with hard cover barriers. (I practice on USPSA targets but I never cover part of them, so a Delta hit sucks but a hard cover shot is a big penalty.)
  • Reload in slide lock (I shot some 3 gun and USPSA matches years ago and always tac or speed loaded; only reloaded dry if it was a mistake)
All and all it was a great day for some trigger time. If you have always wanted to try IDPA; just signup and do it. It’s not hard, watch a few IDPA beginner videos on Youtube, read some of the rules and show up. No one will embarrass you if you suck. How do I know that? Well because today I didn’t have good scores on any stages, but what I did have was a great time and a chance to meet some good folks who like to be outside and blast stuff! As Arnold would say …. I’ll Be Back.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Hey Brider, glad you had a good time today. From what I saw you shot OK, just a little rusty you know. In the immortal words of Jack Reacher, it is a perishable skill! LOL! Sorry I couldn't spend more time, you can see they keep me running out there. Hope to see you at the next one. 😊

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
Yikes! When/Where and how do I go about signing up?

What are “needs” to bring? I’ll see if I can swing it.
It's at Desert Sportmans which is on the way to Red Rock if you aren't familiar with it. New shooters have to there by 8AM and there is a new shooter orientation at 8:15. Check out the link below it has good info, but something like a Glock 19, XD, P320 or the like works, have a holster that covers the trigger, 3 mags and 150 rounds or so. Cover garment can be pretty much anything.

PM720 will probably post a link to the match when it's available in the IDPA thread, but you will need to set-up a free account on Practiscore, I listed that link below as well. If you have any questions let me know, but remember I'm a noob myself!

IDPA at DSRPC

Practiscore link

I forgot to add that I think it's $5 entry fee for DSRPC and then $15 for the match.

Brider is correct. Entry is $15.00 for the match and DSRPC charges all non-members $5.00 at the gate. Once the Match Director sends out the signup link for next weekends match I will post it up here. And there is the link for the FB page as well as the Las Vegas Practical Shooting Club.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LasVegasIDPADSRPC/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LVPracticalShootingClub/

DMark702, what gun are you shooting?
I shoot a Sig 226 in 9mm and a Shield 9 as well. Will the 226 or a 220 work for these events? I like the .45 but the capacity is limited. I was looking into increasing the capacity on the Shield.

I have been considering a G19 and G17 to add to the collection soon.

What am I looking for in a gun ideal for these events? I have always liked the Sig for its weight but the Shield has me considering adding more striker fired/lighter options.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
The 226 is a fine defensive pistol but can be a challenge for competition due to the DA/SA trigger. It can take some practice to master that transition. It would be legal for the SSP division. The 9mm Shield is a great little gun and we have a few people that use these at the matches, usually in CCP with the 8 round mags or BUG with 7 round mags. I will admit I am a Glock guy and the G19 is a great all around pistol. I have one setup for the CCP division but have shot it OK in ESP as well. I usually shoot a G34 in either SSP or ESP. I might suggest a quick perusal of the rulebook and comeback with more questions. You can find that here-

https://www.idpa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/IDPA-Rulebook-2017.pdf

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
@DMark702 if I might make a suggestion, just bring what you have and see if you like it first. You can check out the various divisions and then make equipment purchases to suit your needs. You might decide that you want to compete in a specific division and then pick up a pistol that is more suited for that game. That said I never follow that advice and jump in and use it as an excuse to buy new gear, which is why I am looking for a Sig P320 full size or I might go with a G34; but I am going to use my G19 for two more matches or I keep telling myself that anyhow.

Your first match will be to focus on being safe and learning the rules, and slow is safe(er) so I don't think the gun will make a difference the first time around. Just make sure you have a proper holster , covers the trigger guard and can be drawn in a matter that you don't point it any anyone so no Miami vice shoulder holsters. Have at least one mag pouch for your belt, two is better but I think you can get away with one for SSP or I was able to guess it depends on the rate of ammo expenditure. A good study belt makes a difference to me at least.

Below is a link to the mag pouch I bought just to have two on my belt $11.50 shipped if you have Prime. My holster and primary mag pouch are Bravo Concealment.

Cheap mag Pouch

Here is a snippet I lifted from personal defense world on the divisions.

"There are six divisions in IDPA: Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP), Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP), Stock Service Pistol (SSP), Stock Service Revolver (SSR), Enhanced Service Revolver (ESR) and Back-Up Gun (BUG). Each division is based on the type of pistol a competitor uses."

Hope that helps some.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Sorry, I did not mean to intimate that you should not use what you have, just pointing out the pluses & minuses. I hope to add a 226 to my collection someday. You should have at least 3 mags though. 1, the rules require it and 2, there are stages setup sometimes that may require that you use that 3rd magazine.

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
You should have at least 3 mags though. 1, the rules require it and 2, there are stages setup sometimes that may require that you use that 3rd magazine.
Thanks for clarifying that, now I can go buy a double mag pouch this weekend!

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
Well I shot in my second IDPA match today at the Clark County Shooting Complex (CCSC) and it was lots of fun. Some new things to try and some interesting hurdles. It was a full house with 48 shooters, the match filled up and I had to be put on a wait list but got lucky and snagged a slot. Great weather for a match for certain!

So what’s new for this time? Well the set-up was different due to the way the range is configured at Clark County education center. At Desert Sportsman’s each stage was on a separate bay with berms on each side and we just had to make sure the 180 rule was followed, but at CCSC there were two or sometimes three stages next to each other so that 180 became more like a 100 degree field of engagement. This made it a bit more challenging to make sure your muzzle is in the safe zone, but also required you think more about how to shoot the stage.

There were a few new targets or requirements that were in the match but notables were:
  • Having to shoot from retention – Haven’t tried this before that I can remember. Think of Taran Butler style, a draw but no extension more of shooting from the hip or elbow lock in 90 degree.
  • Steel popper with a motion target, drop the popper and it activates a target that swings up into position.
  • Headshot only target – the body was hard cover due to body armor.
I improved over the last match. I slowed down a bit and made sure I got my hits but the swinger still ate my lunch, (4 down points) which was ¼ of my all my down points and one PE (procedural error) for stepping over the faultline. That was 3 second penalty alone and dumb, was trying to game the stage and it cost me.

Overall it was a great time, met more great people and was able to put some of my practice into play. I decided to dryfire 15 to 20 min for 2 or 3 times a week to get my pistol handling and transitions back into some semblance of a competitive level. A small investment in some cardboard dryfire targets and Ben Stoeger’s dryfire book did the trick and I felt more confident in my motions and target acquisition which paid off in my accuracy and my score.

I’ll put it out there again, for anyone that is interested in giving this a try just come out and do it. My squad was full of new shooters and I give a lot of credit to the SO’s that took the time to make sure everyone was safe and helped all the first timers and second timers with the course of fire and the rules.

Next IDPA match will be DSRCP again on Feb 10th. Just a note the DSRPC and CCSC matches are run by two different match directors.

Brider

Staff member
Forum Supporter
Hi @Crodgers07 the link to practiscore at the bottom gives the specifics of the show times, cost ect. You have to set-up a free account and register for the match and then once approved pick a squad. You will need to attend a new shooters orientation before the match. so you have to be there early.

Are you looking more for what to expect in the match or help with gear or general questions? Sounds like you may have connected with PM720 and if so he is really helpful and an experienced shooter. If you want a perspective of someone new to IDPA feel free to PM me as well.

Also you can also google "first IDPA match" and there are lots of youtube videos and articles out out there as well.

The match is filling up so if you want a slot think about completing the registration as soon as possible. As you might tell from my posts I am pretty much hooked! It's loads of fun.

https://practiscore.com/las-vegas-idpa-local-match-february-10-2019/register