My first IDPA Match recap.

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Third match is in the books from yesterdays fun at Desert Sportsman’s. The weather was brutal, it was cold and wind gusts over 40 mph probably higher. It was blowing everything around and wreaked havoc on the stages, so we keep our brains warm with some troubleshooting, field repairs and improvised stage re-planning.

Some new items compared to other matches:

• Shooting from a port – this one was interesting since in IDPA you can’t cross an open window with unengaged threats. The port had targets to the left, middle and right, so, it had to be shot from one side of the port only. You couldn’t shoot from one side and then move to the other to split up the threats since you would be exposing yourself to a bad guy.

• Shooting between/over close targets to engage far targets – one of the stages had three close targets, I think one was a non-shoot, directly in front of you and then you had to stay in that spot and engage targets of varying distances to the left and the right in a V shape. The first targets became barriers as you had to shoot around/between. And since the targets had to be engaged in “tactical priority”, meaning near too far, you couldn’t just shoot all the right targets and then shoot the left targets; you had to alternate. Hard to explain maybe, but I can’t draw so you’ll just have to try and visualize it.
Saw improvement again at this match, even though I didn’t place as high as the previous one. The setup at Desert Sportsman’s is more challenging; longer shots and more stages and high degree of difficulty.

Had a few targets that I biffed and took 3 Mikes on two close targets. Swore maybe I loaded some blanks, but it was the last stage and the wind had blown dirt in my eye or maybe it was the sun or maybe my hands were cold. Honestly, I think I rushed it and that’s what happens, well for me anyhow. Next month at DSRPC is a classifier so will be interesting to shoot a stage to become a ranked shooter.

The next match is at CCSC on Feb 24th, but I can’t make that one. There are only 7 slots left and this one might be easier on new shooters, so get out there and give it a go. Here is the thread that PM720 posted earlier today.

IDPA Match at CCSC

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Cool. Tony will probably be the squad leader and is an excellent shot. Make sure to tell them you are new and dont be afraid to ask questions. Harold is another dead shot and experienced competitor and a good guy to ask questions also. Good luck and shoot safe!

Cool. Tony will probably be the squad leader and is an excellent shot. Make sure to tell them you are new and dont be afraid to ask questions. Harold is another dead shot and experienced competitor and a good guy to ask questions also. Good luck and shoot safe!

Sounds good - thank you!

I’m looking forward to it - question.

Would you roll A or B?

A) S&W Shield 9mm with mag extensions (10+1) with appendix carry which I can conceal under a shirt

Or

B) Sig P226 MK25 9mm with an OWB holstee (which means I think I’d have to wear an actual cover garment?

Brider

CPAs do it by the numbers
Staff member
Forum Supporter
So hey, @Brider

I know this was a few months ago - but I’ve signed up and I’m going on Sunday.

My first IDPA - here we gooooo!
Nice! Good luck and have a great time! I have had conflicts for the DSRPC matches so I have going to the CCSP ones but hope to switch back in the fall.

PM720

Poster Level- Expert
Sounds good - thank you!

I’m looking forward to it - question.

Would you roll A or B?

A) S&W Shield 9mm with mag extensions (10+1) with appendix carry which I can conceal under a shirt

Or

B) Sig P226 MK25 9mm with an OWB holstee (which means I think I’d have to wear an actual cover garment?
Well, there are a couple of issues here. Normally I would say go with the Shield due to the consistent trigger pull from first to follow up shots. The DA/SA trigger on the Sig can be a challenge unless you practice a lot with it. That said you can't use appendix in SSP, just True Carry which I think you can shoot True Carry BUG with that setup. I would caution that unless you are well practiced with AIWB I would go with the P226 OWB setup.

Considering all of the above I would say use the Glock! 🤔😎😂😂

Well, there are a couple of issues here. Normally I would say go with the Shield due to the consistent trigger pull from first to follow up shots. The DA/SA trigger on the Sig can be a challenge unless you practice a lot with it. That said you can't use appendix in SSP, just True Carry which I think you can shoot True Carry BUG with that setup. I would caution that unless you are well practiced with AIWB I would go with the P226 OWB setup.

Considering all of the above I would say use the Glock! 🤔😎😂😂
LOL - well said - I guess I should buy an HK VP9 and a new holster!