My next newest C&R — CZ 82

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Today I received the other C&R pistol I ordered. A CZ 82. Produced in 1992. A little flaking to the finish, but otherwise it appears to be in good working order.

927FD959-EE08-4418-97B0-469BBF456D54.jpeg

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Yeah ill have to pass on that. I’ve done the field strip. I’ve read that anything beyond that is hellish to say the least.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
I took one apart and getting the sear back together was interesting. Try this- no, this- no, this fawk, this FAAAAAWK, this- no, this- no....... Get ready to throw across room and just drop part... in perfect. Wait what the fawking hell???? Hey whatever works.

johnthomas

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
I love my CZ82, bought it from JGsales.com a few years ago. Once I get settled in here in Henderson, she will go on a date with me.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
When I first got my C&R a decade ago (not continuous as I purposely let it expire every time before applying for a new one), the CZ-82 was one of the first guns I got. What an incredibly smooth DA trigger pull! I remember using it (just because I could) when I took my NRA PPOTH course for my instructor certifications.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Any particular reason you wish to share here for letting it expire and renewing?
Unlike retailers' FFLs, C&R records can be destroyed as soon as it expires. If you renew, you must keep your records. I only need to maintain the current license's records during that three-year period. Makes for less paperwork maintenance, and I don't use the license often enough to mind the month or two of no license in between.

Last edited:

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Unlike retailers FFL's, a C&R records can be destroyed as soon as it expires. If you renew, you must keep your records. I only need to maintain the current license's records during that three-year period. Makes for less paperwork maintenance, and I don't use the license often enough to mind the month or two of no license in between.
I have done the same thing. Not for any nefarious reason, just because I hate paperwork. I also do not want to be reminded of those firearms I have sold in the past and that I am now missing. There have been a few I would readily buy back in a heartbeat.

spinecracker

Obsessed Member
Getting back on topic...I have had a CZ82 in the past, hope to have another in the future. It was what got me interested in Czech firearm development, which was basically a restrained middle finger to the Soviet mother state when it came to design (I am thinking of the VZ58, which has a special place in my heart).

Last edited:
Today I received the other C&R pistol I ordered. A CZ 82. Produced in 1992. A little flaking to the finish, but otherwise it appears to be in good working order.

View attachment 32611
The CZ82 in my opinion is the best kept soviet era secret. Perfect size (same as GLock 19), excellent quality, 12 round capacity, just as potent as 9MM Luger w/ Underwood ammo, good sights, good trigger, good accuracy,1911 type safety. A real gem.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
just as potent as 9MM Luger w/ Underwood ammo
What? What ammo are you thinking of?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produ...p-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865927106617

Underwood 9x18 is a 95 grain pill at 1150fps

A 124gr +p gold dot on the other hand
https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/281-speer-gold-dot-9mm-124-grain-p-hp.html

124 grains at 1220fps. Heavier bullet going faster. They’re not the same.

Sure all hand guns suck equally. The 9x18 by the numbers isn’t as potent as the 9x19. Now if you’re saying that all major handgun calibers suck equally then I’m on board.

What? What ammo are you thinking of?

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produ...p-jacketed-hollow-point?variant=7865927106617

Underwood 9x18 is a 95 grain pill at 1150fps

A 124gr +p gold dot on the other hand
https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/281-speer-gold-dot-9mm-124-grain-p-hp.html

124 grains at 1220fps. Heavier bullet going faster. They’re not the same.

Sure all hand guns suck equally. The 9x18 by the numbers isn’t as potent as the 9x19. Now if you’re saying that all major handgun calibers suck equally then I’m on board.
There is a law of diminishing returns at play w/ close range self defense. Sure a 475 Linebaugh is more potent than a 45 acp, but what's the point? With Underwood Xtreme penetrator 9x18, you don't need any more power for short range self defense. As this type of ammo becomes generally accepted, watch the big heavy pieces (CZ75, Ber92, 1911) become increasingly unpopular dinosaurs.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
There is a law of diminishing returns at play w/ close range self defense. Sure a 475 Linebaugh is more potent than a 45 acp, but what's the point? With Underwood Xtreme penetrator 9x18, you don't need any more power for short range self defense. As this type of ammo becomes generally accepted, watch the big heavy pieces (CZ75, Ber92, 1911) become increasingly unpopular dinosaurs.
By that logic you can carry the argument all the way down to a 22lr.

Lots of research, both good and bad, has been done about the perfect handgun caliber. Yes being able to shoot well is the first requirement. A close second is something that has the potential to incipicate your attacker. Those numbers look a lot better when you use 9mm or larger ammo.

For the weight and size of most .380 and 9x18 handguns why not go to 9x19? Unless deep carry/pocket carry is the order of the day I’m a 9x19 guy all day long.

By that logic you can carry the argument all the way down to a 22lr.

Lots of research, both good and bad, has been done about the perfect handgun caliber. Yes being able to shoot well is the first requirement. A close second is something that has the potential to incipicate your attacker. Those numbers look a lot better when you use 9mm or larger ammo.

For the weight and size of most .380 and 9x18 handguns why not go to 9x19? Unless deep carry/pocket carry is the order of the day I’m a 9x19 guy all day long.
Can't argue especially w/ the minimal weight of newest poly pieces, like LC9s. All I'm saying is w/ 9x18 Underwood xtreme penetrator, the CZ82 is formidable, holds 12, doesn't cost much, feels good, is accurate & has some history. Clearly it weighs more than today's poly 9x19s.