• Welcome to Nevada Shooters!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, buy and sell with in our popular Trading Post and more! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
  • Attention mobile users! The Tapatalk integration is down until further notice. For the full mobile experience, please simply use your web browser on your mobile device to view the forum. Thank you!

My son harvested his turkey.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
We started it a little late Saturday morning. We drove around the wildlife Management in logandale, looking for a way in. A buddy of mine lives there. He went with us to show us around. Then we get the ol, I haven't been out here in years. They changed all of this around. [emoji23][emoji23] Anyway we finally find a way in. Then we're driving around till we find a sign that says Caution Turkey Hunt In Progress. We say hell this must be the right spot. So we drive in. A guy jumps out of the brush and yells what the hell are you doing driving around it here?? Then proceeds to rip or ass for a bit. Then we drive out there way we came in. Apparently at the bottom of those sign it says no vehicle beyond this point. Oops my bad, I didn't read the fine print. We then walked in from the back side with no luck.

So we head in for lunch. While back at the house I got online and downloaded some new turkey calls to my electric caller. We then headed back out. Apon arriving we saw some turkeys in a field. My boy tried to make a stalk on them with no success. We looked around and found another field with more turkey, but somebody already was hunting and calling there. So we looked around and found another field. I told my buddy, just cause we can't see them doesn't mean they're not here.

I set my son up wind from us about a hundred yards. I then set there caller up about fifty yards to the left of us. I then started calling. All of the sudden I hear gobble gobble. Holy crap, at that point the ol heart started pumping. I can only imagine what my boy was thinking. I kept calling and the gobble was getting closer. All of the sudden two Tom's stepped out of cover and into the field. The walked right in front of my son at thirty yards. They stopped and he dropped the hammer. It was a perfect set up. I know nothing about hunting turkey. But it worked, another great day in the field with family and friends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Thanks everyone! It was pretty exciting watching them come in to the call. I couldn't believe it, I was beside myself. We had Easter turkey on the grill. It was awesome!

We saw tons of rabbits, but its getting a little warm for rabbit hunting.

icode

Obsessed Member
Thanks for sharing the story of your adventure! Your son will never forget this and someday he'll be telling his son about it. :thumbsup:

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Ill bring ya a couple over Bob!

Thanks icode the story was the short trimmed down version. Didn't want people falling asleep on Me.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Can't tell which one of the boys it is (and they are both good shots with a shotgun, so that doesn't help) but tell whichever one it was, good shooting!

That's an experience of a lifetime, especially for the first time out like that.
Congrats to son and Dad!

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Can't tell which one of the boys it is (and they are both good shots with a shotgun, so that doesn't help) but tell whichever one it was, good shooting!

That's an experience of a lifetime, especially for the first time out like that.
Congrats to son and Dad!
Thanks Steve, Garrette had the tag. I'll let him know. I'm sure he'll be all smiles, with it coming from you. After he shot the bird he says, I'm better at shooting turkeys than clays. I said well look okay the size of this bird. [emoji23][emoji23]

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
He missed very few clays, and his brother didn't miss many either. A few years , or months more practice and they both will be kicking Dad's butt.

Get them started now on formal skeet and trap, by the time they graduate from high school they can go to college on either a trap or skeet scholarship.

I have several friends who's sons (and a daughter) went to college that way. Great way to pay for an education for a guy who likes to shoot.

He missed very few clays, and his brother didn't miss many either. A few years , or months more practice and they both will be kicking Dad's butt.

Get them started now on formal skeet and trap, by the time they graduate from high school they can go to college on either a trap or skeet scholarship.

I have several friends who's sons (and a daughter) went to college that way. Great way to pay for an education for a guy who likes to shoot.
May I ask which colleges do that....offering shooting scholarships? Pls pm me .....thank you sir.

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
A bit late here but that's really amazing ! Congrats on a great day. Even if it didn't start that way. My wife always tells me there's a reason for everything...lol.

Yours was Turkey !

We started it a little late Saturday morning. We drove around the wildlife Management in logandale, looking for a way in. A buddy of mine lives there. He went with us to show us around. Then we get the ol, I haven't been out here in years. They changed all of this around. [emoji23][emoji23] Anyway we finally find a way in. Then we're driving around till we find a sign that says Caution Turkey Hunt In Progress. We say hell this must be the right spot. So we drive in. A guy jumps out of the brush and yells what the hell are you doing driving around it here?? Then proceeds to rip or ass for a bit. Then we drive out there way we came in. Apparently at the bottom of those sign it says no vehicle beyond this point. Oops my bad, I didn't read the fine print. We then walked in from the back side with no luck.

So we head in for lunch. While back at the house I got online and downloaded some new turkey calls to my electric caller. We then headed back out. Apon arriving we saw some turkeys in a field. My boy tried to make a stalk on them with no success. We looked around and found another field with more turkey, but somebody already was hunting and calling there. So we looked around and found another field. I told my buddy, just cause we can't see them doesn't mean they're not here.

I set my son up wind from us about a hundred yards. I then set there caller up about fifty yards to the left of us. I then started calling. All of the sudden I hear gobble gobble. Holy crap, at that point the ol heart started pumping. I can only imagine what my boy was thinking. I kept calling and the gobble was getting closer. All of the sudden two Tom's stepped out of cover and into the field. The walked right in front of my son at thirty yards. They stopped and he dropped the hammer. It was a perfect set up. I know nothing about hunting turkey. But it worked, another great day in the field with family and friends.

"know nothing" about turkey hunting...

Sometime experience hunting, intuition, and pure blind dumb luck all combine into great success. ;)

No money can buy those smiles. A belated congratulations.

L2S