• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Never been hunting, want to start.

desertw0lf

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
So I have never been hunting before... Not because my family was against it but because we moved a lot when I was younger and hunting wasn't a really big thing in some of the places we lived. I have wanted to get into hunting for years now - and I would love to go along with someone someday and get a feel for it.

Where do I start? Coyote hunting seems like a lot of fun, but I have no hunting gear per se. I am looking at getting a basic, beginning hunting rifle setup (not too much money, as I am poor and would be just starting into it). Any suggestions on this? What other kind of gear would I need to have, to have the basics? What else do I need to know?

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
My suggestion would be to sign up for, and take an NRA hunters safety class.
They will teach you the basics, a lot more than just safety. And they offer seminars on hunting various types of game, from jack rabbits and squirrels on up.

Get the certificate, go get a hunting license. That's the first step.

Next comes deciding what you want to hunt.

For the least amount of money, jack rabbits and ground squirrels with a .22 would be the best bet. A .22 at Wally world and some ammo, the hunting license and you are good to go for under $200.

Next up on the four footed game list would be coyotes, but only if you can pick up a center fire rifle inexpensively, as a .22 really isn't suitable for them unless you can call them in real close (under 50 yards, preferably closer to 25) and make consistent head shots. You don't want an animal to suffer because of your being under gunned or not being able to place the shot correctly.

For most folks after the rabbits and squirrels, the next step up cost wise, is usually a shotgun and start bird hunting. This one is easy to practice at, by shooting Skeet, Trap and Sporting Clays. There are several folks on this forum who can teach you to do that, myself included. And there are lots of game birds to be had in this area, Dove, Quail, Chukar, Pheasant, Turkeys, Ducks and Geese. And they are good eating too!

A good pump shotgun which will serve you for all types of bird hunting, and could, with slugs be used for deer, and will also serve for home defense, will set you back $200-$500 depending on what you buy, and if its new or used.
You can also find a good side by side double barrel, or an over and under in that range as well, but whatever it is, it should have screw in chokes so that you can change the choke to suit the game being hunted.
Open patterning chokes (Cylinder bore, Improved Cylinder, Light Modified) for doves and quail, Improved Cylinder, Light modified and Modified for chuckar, Modified, Improved Modified, Light Full, Full and extra full for the Turkeys, Ducks and Geese.
Depending on the brand, the chokes can be pretty cheap. Buy a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 and the choke tubes will run you only $12-$14 at Wally world.

From there you move on up to Deer, Elk, Antelope, Bear, Sheep, etc. and some big bucks for gear, the tags, the trip, etc.

Finding someone on this board to take you hunting for the first few times shouldn't be too much trouble I wouldn't think!

Sapper12b

If you want to start coyote hunting, the basics are a scoped rifle .223 or 22-250 are the most perfered. Also, a good shotgun for those up close and personal shots. But I know alot of people that use there deer rifles as well. Then you get some Camo clothing (they see very well). Next is a caller of some sort, either (mouth) manual or electronic, I suggest E-caller until you practice enough with a mouth caller. A good pair of bino's they are sneaky little b#@tards. Now all you have to do is a little research and find were the best place to hunt is. Hunting can be very expensive, but once you the basic gear most of it is used in other hunting. Once you have the basic guns, .22, 12 guage shotgun, mid-range rifle i.e. .223 and any 30 caliber hunting rifle you are set for any hunting you want to do. Also, it's very important to know the state and local hunting regulations. There are certain caliber that have to be used to take certain animals. For Nevada go to www.NDOW.org.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
I do not know what the caller is that my Father In Law uses but it works great! I know he got it from Cabelas. It is a wireless system in 2 parts the actual caller and a remote that controls it. We called several Coyotes in with it.

desertw0lf

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I was telling my dad how I was looking at hunting rifles. My uncle has his old rifle, and he is going to see about having it sent down here for me.

Ruger M77 in 284 Winchester. He even has reloading die for the rounds.

Sapper12b

I was telling my dad how I was looking at hunting rifles. My uncle has his old rifle, and he is going to see about having it sent down here for me.

Ruger M77 in 284 Winchester. He even has reloading die for the rounds.
Good gun, hard ammo to find.

mxriderkev

holy **** wolf!!!! thats an expensive round lol. i used to have a .300wsm and it was about that price, the first chance i got i sold it. now i got a .223 and that thing is bad ass and cheap to shoot, for the good bullets i just reload them myself:scsniper1:

Last edited by a moderator:

battleborn85

22-250 for yotes or any other small varmint. I swear by my old Remington 700. Get out in the field and track, put in the time outside as well as take a class and read read read. Good Luck!

alhefner

For the absolute beginner, I would suggest going jackrabbit hunting with someone. No license required and no restrictions on weaponry as these are unprotected species....coyote are also unprotected but more difficult to hunt and you do need better weapons to ensure a good clean kill.

One reason I suggest the jacks is that they are easy to find and will give you a good idea if hunting really is something you want to go through with. Not everyone is able to be comfortable with killing and cleaning an animal...

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Not everyone is able to be comfortable with killing and cleaning an animal...
LOL, my wifes uncle is like that. So he always makes sure to take one of his kids along so they can clean the meat. Hell he won't even eat it unless forced to. He is a bit of a odd bird...nice guy just a bit odd. I think it is because he is a fed, lol.

joshuat

loving life at home
When I get home, I'll go hunting with you. I've never hunted in Nevada so this can be a learning experience for both of us if you want. I got a .223 and you can use my SKS if you want. Just buy some rounds and lets do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This will give you plenty of time to scope out places to shoot. APEX has nothing moving except other shooters there.

if anyone in reno wants to get a group or something going im game. i have never done it before, but i'd like to learn too. just planning on using my mosin...