Non Factory Finishes

Just wanted to inform the esteemed members of this forum for those that did not know. Re-blueing, ceracoating, aftermarket Nickel, Etc does not increase the guns Value it does the opposite. A worn factory finish is still worth more than a aftermarket job. This is especially true if the gun is collectable or even heavily sought after. Even a factory reblue will lower the value. I am not saying you can't get your gun coated just don't expect me to pay for it like it was a improvement.

JimBianchi

Daddy
Forum Supporter
As a SW collector I agree, for the most part.

The exception is a low value beater revolver, one with a very low price tag and high ugly factor. (Lots of Model 10s out there fit that category)

I bought one that was previously ruined by an owner by stripping it with Naval Jelly and using cold blue to refinish it. But it was rock solid with original grips, no scratches or drop marks anywhere. The gun is Model 13-3, 3 inch!! A near freaking unicorn gun that was previously damaged by some idiot! Ignore the bad blue and it was a 95% original gun, so I bought it and had it professionally hot blued here in town by Wild West Guns. $325 to do and it cost was more than I paid for the gun. Turned out gorougus and to me, well worth it. But it is still a $300 gun and I know it.

I feel like someone who rescued a deformed purebred puppy and spent $1K on vet bills, not worth a penny to show, but still a darn good pup!

My Model 1 and 1 1/2 are in terrible shape, but original and untouched, and they will stay that way. I am still on the lookout for an untouched M13 3 inch but they are REAL pricey!! (And I want a mint M10 and USAF M15!)

I won't try and sell my revolvers anything soon, that would be up to my family after I'm gone, paperwork with each gun is correct and up to date, so everyone is kept honest in the future.

(I did see a re-blue here for sale recently that was WAY over priced! The guy may not know what it is, but I certainly do.)

As a SW collector I agree, for the most part.

The exception is a low value beater revolver, one with a very low price tag and high ugly factor. (Lots of Model 10s out there fit that category)

I bought one that was previously ruined by an owner by stripping it with Naval Jelly and using cold blue to refinish it. But it was rock solid with original grips, no scratches or drop marks anywhere. The gun is Model 13-3, 3 inch!! A near freaking unicorn gun that was previously damaged by some idiot! Ignore the bad blue and it was a 95% original gun, so I bought it and had it professionally hot blued here in town by Wild West Guns. $325 to do and it cost was more than I paid for the gun. Turned out gorougus and to me, well worth it. But it is still a $300 gun and I know it.

I feel like someone who rescued a deformed purebred puppy and spent $1K on vet bills, not worth a penny to show, but still a darn good pup!

My Model 1 and 1 1/2 are in terrible shape, but original and untouched, and they will stay that way. I am still on the lookout for an untouched M13 3 inch but they are REAL pricey!! (And I want a mint M10 and USAF M15!)

I won't try and sell my revolvers anything soon, that would be up to my family after I'm gone, paperwork with each gun is correct and up to date, so everyone is kept honest in the future.

(I did see a re-blue here for sale recently that was WAY over priced! The guy may not know what it is, but I certainly do.)
I agree, if you are going to be keeping the gun then it may makes sense to protect the metal itself. I am not telling anybody not to do it, Its your gun do as you like I really don't care but if and when you decide to sell don't think it is something special.

On another note I have that 3" model 13 your looking for I will keep you in mind if I decide to cut it loose. Unlikely as 3" K frames are my favorites.

SeegarSmoker

Prefers Wheelguns
I agree as well. A refinished gun can certainly have value as a shooter but is worth nowhere near the price of an original finish example. Knowledgeable collectors tend to sigh and walk away.

I have a K98k Mauser my dad brought back from WWII that's non duffel cut and matching except for the stock and butt plate that match to themselves. Mechanically excellent, original configuration and actually a very pretty gun but the value is greatly diminished on it. After Dad got home he had it refinished, sometime in the late forties. A nice old school reblue that looks beautiful but pretty much ruined the collector value. It is what it is.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Commercial Sponsor
Forum Supporter
But, but, this nickel-plated Luger was a factory one-off special for an SS officer!

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
If a gun isn’t collectible and has no particular resale value beyond the gun itself than a refinish job may be preferable to a tattered and worn original finish. Not worth as much as a new gun, nor a used one with a good finish, but worth more than a used one with a bad finish (as I said collectable guns excluded)

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Most of my hunting guns are spray painted...if one was already spray painted really cool, I would probably pay a little more.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
1903 Colt is the cerakote worth as much as original finish, NO. (I have a friend who once he finds one wants me to refinish it :eek:)
Is a new production gun cerakoted FDE XXXX worth more than one in original finish when it only comes in black, sure.

Then again almost anything works at a gun show...

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
While Glockit won't pay for a refinishing job on a firearm, there are folks who don't think that it reduces the value, particularly on modern firearms. I am amused sometimes when someone posts their rattlecanned FrankenAR on Armslist and calls it a "custom finish", though.