• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

NOT an AR but damn good

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I share your love for the Steyr AUG. I bought my first one in 1986. Then in 1987, I assigned to be in a test group of U.S. Customs firearms instructors to test and evaluate the Steyr AUG-P (police) model in the field. I attended a three day training course in Tucson, Arizona put on by the Steyr factory reps. After a two year T&E, the AUG-P was selected to be the standard issue rifle for the U.S. Customs Service. I carried the same rifle I was issued for testing for the next 18 years of my career. I had nearly 85,000 documented rounds fired through that single rifle. Only twice did the AUG-P failed to fire, both times were attributed to the ammunition. I reluctantly gave up my faithful rifle upon my retirement.

I currently have two new model AUG's, and they both have been flawless. IMHO the Steyr AUG is the finest 5.56 mm rifle ever made.

Attachments

Last edited:
Gunhand,
85,000 rounds thru ONE rifle! That just shows the quality of the Steyr AUG. It not only was ahead of its time but it still is, IMHO, beter than any other bullpup out there including the Israeli versions.

My FN PS90 has an almost identical fire control module to the AUG. That has become a standard for newer bullpups. (The hammer module that slides out of the butt stock).

Eric B.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
Gunhand,
85,000 rounds thru ONE rifle! That just shows the quality of the Steyr AUG. It not only was ahead of its time but it still is, IMHO, beter than any other bullpup out there including the Israeli versions.

My FN PS90 has an almost identical fire control module to the AUG. That has become a standard for newer bullpups. (The hammer module that slides out of the butt stock).

Eric B.
I have a Tavor X-95, and while I like some of the ergonomics of X-95, it still is not the weapons system the AUG is.