• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

NV DMV License Plate surrender

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
So I just sold a car private sale in Las Vegas. I will not be using the plates on another vehicle. I cancelled the registration online but it appears now I must surrender the old plates to the DMV. Is there an easy legal way to do this that doesn't involve 4 hrs at the DMV? Other states I have lived you just cancelled the reg and destroyed the plates (or kept them). Seems like an unnecessary step and burden that NV places upon the citizenry. What happens if I just don't turn them in? Do I go to jail for disobeying a ridiculously benign and unnecessary regulatory burden on my time?

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
go online, make an appointment. According to a pretty source at the DMV. the reason for the plate turn in, is all the scam artists, and low life California scum bags that live in the valley. BTW, make sure your insurance company knows the car belongs to someone else. In this wonderful valley, auto insurance is only an option.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Yes there is a mail in option so that may be the easiest way to go. I thought about an appt. but even that is a huge time burden for something that should be IMO a drop box transaction. Already cancelled the insurance so that shouldn't be an issue.

terdog

uber Member
My DMV has a Letter Dropbox out front for registration and such. I would consider taping the plates with a note with packing tape and just drop them in the Box. I bet that they would fit through the slot.

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I would consider taping the plates with a note with packing tape and just drop them in the Box. I bet that they would fit through the slot.
Bad idea unless you REALLY trust the people to do their job right. I once had a warrant out for my arrest in a county I have never been in. Another time I found out my plates were suspended for “a lapse in my insurance” which never happened.

I have other stories but the point is, I don’t trust those fools to do their jobs correctly. I always get some sort of paperwork for proof whenever possible.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Registered a car in CT and then shipped it to NV. Mom registered it here and did all that. I get a letter in the mail a few weeks later. "You don't have insurance on the car, correct this or you wont be able to get a new license". Tossed that in the trash.
Few weeks later I get another letter "No insurance, correct or license will be suspended". Call up CTDMV explain to them what happened. Ok send in X, Y and Z. I send in X Y and Z. Get a letter back, send in X, Y, Z and a check for $125. WTF? Send it all in and don't hear anything else from them. Few months later move to NV and go to get a NV license. Sorry CT says your license is suspended. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call DMV "You need to send in X, Y, Z" I F****** did twice! ... send again. Took them a month to correct the issue all while I was starting my new job working on high end CARS. At least they were okay with it.
CT finally sent me a letter saying they screwed up and I didn't need to send the $125 and asked if I wanted it back.

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Registered a car in CT and then shipped it to NV. Mom registered it here and did all that. I get a letter in the mail a few weeks later. "You don't have insurance on the car, correct this or you wont be able to get a new license". Tossed that in the trash.
Few weeks later I get another letter "No insurance, correct or license will be suspended". Call up CTDMV explain to them what happened. Ok send in X, Y and Z. I send in X Y and Z. Get a letter back, send in X, Y, Z and a check for $125. WTF? Send it all in and don't hear anything else from them. Few months later move to NV and go to get a NV license. Sorry CT says your license is suspended. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!
Call DMV "You need to send in X, Y, Z" I F****** did twice! ... send again. Took them a month to correct the issue all while I was starting my new job working on high end CARS. At least they were okay with it.
CT finally sent me a letter saying they screwed up and I didn't need to send the $125 and asked if I wanted it back.
Sounds about right. Just the other day I talked to a friend in FL. About 10 years ago his dumb ass got a DUI in TN when he lived there. He had since moved to CO and then recently moved to FL and went to transfer his CO DL to FL. They told him it was suspended because he had TWO DUIs and never completed the requirements to get his liscense back. (Which was false) Long story short he went through hell getting that whole mess sorted out.

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
Asling a legitimate question for knowledge is not "trolling. I am just curious and asking what have they done in Southern Nevada to be an issue?
The calTARDS have moved here by the thousands. They brought with them something pure evil. Liberal carpetbagger politicians. Southern Nevada was once a great place to live.

The calTARDS have moved here by the thousands. They brought with them something pure evil. Liberal carpetbagger politicians. Southern Nevada was once a great place to live.
Thjat wasnt what I asked, can you please give specific examples of exactly how they have done that? I am a former Las Vegas resident as well and wanted to compare notes. Please give an example of exactly how they have done this.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
When you cancel your plate you can have the remainder of the registration applied as a pro-rated credit on registration of another vehicle.
Sold a trailer over the summer, with the license plate still attached. Went to register another vehicle and they were able to apply the credit.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
When you cancel your plate you can have the remainder of the registration applied as a pro-rated credit on registration of another vehicle.
Sold a trailer over the summer, with the license plate still attached. Went to register another vehicle and they were able to apply the credit.
I had a 27 month lease once... yeah 3 months used 9 months credit. Went to register my other car a few months later, yes I have a credit... No you don't, pay!