• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

NV DMV License Plate surrender

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Last time I had to surrender plates for a vehicle, the DMV in Reno just wanted me to hand them to the customer service desk people. Literally in and out.

Also, if you’re slightly nostalgic like me, you can keep the front plate. They only need the rear with the registration sticker attached. H

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
When I registered my car at the DMV, the pretty lady behind the counter told me to only use the rear plate with the sticker. Put the other under the seat. "people here steal license plates" I was told.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
NV law requires that if the vehicle was made with the attachment point for a front license plate, that it must be attached.

That said, I've lived here my entire life and no one in my entire family has ever attached the front license plate.

Harley

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
NV law requires that if the vehicle was made with the attachment point for a front license plate, that it must be attached.

That said, I've lived here my entire life and no one in my entire family has ever attached the front license plate.
I never use the front plate on my vehicles either. I don’t think its something they really enforce.

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
I once had a body shop in Nevada flip out because I told them to do what ever they wanted with the California license plates on a totaled car. You'd think I'd asked them to dump a hooker's corpse in the desert. Sacramento just trashes the plate and issues a new number.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Didn't it used to be that turning in license plates could be done very quickly at the vehicle inspection drive-thru?
That's what I am wondering rather than waiting in line to do a simple turn in. My DMV is the Decatur office. One would think that if I could cancel the registration online, there would be a simple way to turn in the plates that would not require an appt. and a long wait.

I did manage to cancel the reg online and have a receipt stating same and reflecting the credit that can be applied and when that credit expires. That said, I am not to worried that some tech will foul things up as it it in the system now and I have a permission slip to cancel my insurance.

Cirdan

Very Active Member

Dealer gave me the front plate bracket. Sitting on a shelf in the garage.

The California DMV does not care about old plates. Here is a picture I took at a CA DMV office last year. They will either pitch an old plate or put it up on the wall. Look closely, there is even a Nevada plate up there. They dont send anything back.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter

This only became law in 2007 or so, so you’d be surprised how many lifelong Nevadans don’t know it. I had a cop enforce it on a ride along I did, mainly it was an excuse to stop a car he was already suspicious of.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
When I was in CT all cars had to have front and rear plates. Doing pre delivery inspections one requirement was to install front plate bracket. I only put them on AMGs if told to by the salesman.
But then most of the higher end cars in CT had stickers or badges showing they donated to the police fund so they wouldn't get pulled over for no front plate or speeding or...

So I just sold a car private sale in Las Vegas. I will not be using the plates on another vehicle. I cancelled the registration online but it appears now I must surrender the old plates to the DMV. Is there an easy legal way to do this that doesn't involve 4 hrs at the DMV? Other states I have lived you just cancelled the reg and destroyed the plates (or kept them). Seems like an unnecessary step and burden that NV places upon the citizenry. What happens if I just don't turn them in? Do I go to jail for disobeying a ridiculously benign and unnecessary regulatory burden on my time?
Each Dmv has a drop box for plates. Flamingo DMV the box in inside the building.
Go online and make an appointment. Show up 15 mins. early for the app. stand in the short app. line . When you get to the info counter, turn in the plates and get a receipt.
If you can not make an appointment. You may waste up to a hour standing the General info line and then maybe wait some more.
You can also try turning the plates in at the inspection station.
Nowadays I won't go near DMV without an appointment.

Last edited:

LASCHRIS

The renters next door (California dirtbags) switched the plate from a derelict ford ranger to a barely working silver Saturn. The ranger set in front of our home for about two months. I don't believe in being a rat bastard, but enough was enough. Called NLVPD, and the ranger was on a flatbed in four days. I carry uninsured motorist coverage on my policy's. Cost a dam fortune, but if I get in a collision with one of those people I want protection. During my travels I see lots of no rear plates or expired stickers. If people (usually California bred dirt bags) don't have the means to legally put a vehicle on the road, they should take the city bus. Maybe if the law started impounding their cars until the paperwork is current it may send a message. Add on towing and storage fee's daily. Once upon a time, I drove without required documents. I lost the car to the impound lot for storage fees. I was young and stupid. Now, I am old, and not so stupid. Trump needs to build a wall around California. Not mexico.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Each Dmv has a drop box for plates. Flamingo DMV the box in inside the building.
Go online and make an appointment. Show up 15 mins. early for the app. stand in the short app. line . When you get to the info counter, turn in the plates and get a receipt.
If you can not make an appointment. You may waste up to a hour standing the General info line and then maybe wait some more.
You can also try turning the plates in at the inspection station.
Nowadays I won't go near DMV without an appointment.
Might give these two options a try. Thanks.

I remember Lic. plate drop boxesat the E sahara location as well as Flamingo on the W side. a self made vid of you throwing your plates in would stand in court I would imagine.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
ZilWin please update us on what you use and how it worked out.
Will do. I am going to try my local Decatur office probably next week. Just have not gotten around to going over there. As stated previously I already cancelled the reg online and have a receipt for that but have not yet 'surrendered' the physical plates.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
Reporting back on this, I took GlenBaker's advice and scheduled an appointment with the Decatur DMV. I did go first to the vehicle inspection bldg to see if I could turn them in there and was met at the door by an employee. He basically gave me the flip off, stating they didn't accept them there and I would have to go to the main bldg. and stand in line. I asked him what would happen if I just threw them in the garbage and he just shrugged and pointed at the main bldg. I went into the main bldg and stood in the short appt line 30 minutes before my scheduled time. The clerk at the window did accept the plates but could not give me a receipt due to the fact I had already cancelled the reservation online. She did make a notation in her terminal that I turned them in (I assume).

LASCHRIS

If Prop five passes, just showing up at the DMV will register you to vote, even if you are not a citizen. America, what a great country. Vote early, and vote often.

Nevada Hudson

Obsessed Member
The DMV in Carson City always let me keep my old plates, if I asked them.
I also have collector cars and do not have a plate on the front for the last 20 years. Keep the front plate in the trunk if asked, but never have been asked.