• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

NV DMV License Plate surrender

Reporting back on this, I took GlenBaker's advice and scheduled an appointment with the Decatur DMV. I did go first to the vehicle inspection bldg to see if I could turn them in there and was met at the door by an employee. He basically gave me the flip off, stating they didn't accept them there and I would have to go to the main bldg. and stand in line. I asked him what would happen if I just threw them in the garbage and he just shrugged and pointed at the main bldg. I went into the main bldg and stood in the short appt line 30 minutes before my scheduled time. The clerk at the window did accept the plates but could not give me a receipt due to the fact I had already cancelled the reservation online. She did make a notation in her terminal that I turned them in (I assume).
So, I'm guessing you out of there before your appointment time was reached?

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
So, I'm guessing you out of there before your appointment time was reached?
Yes, I was in and out with just the interaction with the checking clerk. I did get the impression she would have cancelled the registration, accepted the plate surrender, and issued a receipt right there too, but don't quote me or hold me to that as that is only speculation on my part.

Yes, I was in and out with just the interaction with the checking clerk. I did get the impression she would have cancelled the registration, accepted the plate surrender, and issued a receipt right there too, but don't quote me or hold me to that as that is only speculation on my part.
I have vehicle A.D.D. and cancel registrations pretty often. It's always a quick, in and out process. The clerk at the Info counter handles everything and sends you on your way with a receipt showing how much credit you have, if any.

FYI, they only allow you to use $30 of your credit even if you have more. Seems like thievery to me.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
I have vehicle A.D.D. and cancel registrations pretty often. It's always a quick, in and out process. The clerk at the Info counter handles everything and sends you on your way with a receipt showing how much credit you have, if any.

FYI, they only allow you to use $30 of your credit even if you have more. Seems like thievery to me.
My credit is good until April. I'll see how much they let me apply to my truck renewal that's due then.

YoungGun

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Turned in my plates at the Flamingo office on Tuesday. Had some credit left over and used it toward renewal for another vehicle (done all online and the credit was automatically applied). However, have to pay an extortion fee (transfer fee) of $6. Yep, it costs $6 to use your credit.

Yg