• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Open a can of worms...Shotguns

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Multi-step question...
1-What is your preferred type of shotgun, ie O/U
2-Fav brand?
3-Brand you use? :)
4-Barrel Length used for each type of critter? IE: 26 for upland or 32 for migratory.
5-You ever use a 18" for hunting?

Ogof

I purchased a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 1978 for dove and quail.
It is a 12 gauge with a vent rib 26" barrel (modified choke).
It of course a pump as I prefer pumps.
It has never failed me all these years.
So I would buy another Remington.

Never used an 18" barrel.
Never fired a slug through it either,
00 buckshot yes.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
The Remington 870 Wingmaster is a very reliable shotgun. However, the $300 Remington 870 Express does not have the same reliability. So if you go with an 870, be sure it is the Wingmaster if you are looking for a reliable shotgun. My buddy has the Express and it gets jammed up so much that it cannot be counted on!

I have a 12g Browning BPS with a 30" barrel with a HiViz sight on the end. The HiViz makes it real easy to pick up the target (in my case clays).

Bohemian

Obsessed Member
I am a big fan of the following two pumps for hunting upland birds, quail, geese, ducks, rabbits and other critters...

Remington 870 SuperMag 26"

Mossberg 335 28"

I have hunted with 18" shotguns and had great success, I can kill birds just as dead with a 18" as a 28" or longer, chokes seem to make more difference than barrel length in my view with shotguns, and longer barrels are kinda top heavy for consecutive shots, try it sometime with a couple of the clay launchers from wally world, with the longer barreled pumps you will almost always miss the second shot, vs. the shorter barreled pumps...

icode

Obsessed Member
I own a Stoeger 2000 12 ga auto, and my youngest son has a Mossy 500 20 ga pump. Neither shotty has gone hunting YET.

SAP_Pete

Mmmh, Sushi !
Forum Supporter
Benelli Cordoba, auto, 28". Best damn hunting shotgun I ever shot. I don't get to take it out often enough. Last year pheasant hunting with some buddies in South Dakota.

Mossberg 590, pump, 20" for hunting hood rats.
Did some rabbit hunting back in the days with an 18" pump.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Agreed about the 870. I went with my father in law and he let me use his older 870 and I had a blast with it. I have been shopping for one of my own...but he has told me not to and to just keep using his. I prefer to be self sufficient though...personal choice.
I was going to see if I could borrow it this weekend and see if I could locate some quail or chucker but got a call from a family member that needs some help. :cursing:lol

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I almost picked up a used Wingmaster for $300 - but I didn't think I'd have use for it since I have the Browning.

And I guess it all depends on what one is using it for. The 30" barrel is Browning's Trap version (in fact it is called the BPS Trap). When shooting clays, I normally don't miss the first shot; and when I do, the second shot works out just fine.

MrEdim

Franchi 500

Multi-step question...
1-What is your preferred type of shotgun, ie O/U

I like the looks of a SxS- both the short coach gun and the classic long guns.

2-Fav brand? I love my Franchi 500, old Mossbergs. Also liked my dads and my friends 870's when I used them around 30 years ago.

3-Brand you use? :) Mossberg 500's, Franchi 500

4-Barrel Length used for each type of critter? IE: 26 for upland or 32 for migratory. 28-30 for most things although I had a 36" H&R for higher flighing ducks & Geese

5-You ever use a 18" for hunting?
-Nope

The Remington 870 Wingmaster is a very reliable shotgun. However, the $300 Remington 870 Express does not have the same reliability. So if you go with an 870, be sure it is the Wingmaster if you are looking for a reliable shotgun. My buddy has the Express and it gets jammed up so much that it cannot be counted on!

I have a 12g Browning BPS with a 30" barrel with a HiViz sight on the end. The HiViz makes it real easy to pick up the target (in my case clays).
Really? Never had a problem with mine. Hasn't misfired or jammed once.

cksh8me

My vote for the Benelli M1 or M2 field. If you're going to go S/A shotgun there's Benelli and everything else.

Bohemian

Obsessed Member
My vote for the Benelli M1 or M2 field. If you're going to go S/A shotgun there's Benelli and everything else.
Unless you are talking about hunting S/A's only...

That's a pretty bold statement...
And for starters Remington & Mossberg has their own S/A's for hunting that are no slouches either...

I don't know about Benelli & everything else; but here's a couple of bad ass S/A Shotguns that I would take over a M1 or M2 Benelli OR ANYTHING ELSE given the choice, if the SHTF...
I have a Saiga 12 btw :) and its hard to beat a 12 gauge with a 20-30 round drum, when you absolutely, positivity have to blast the living stuffing out of something... :getsome:

I have carried & used S/A Benellis in Iraq and elsewhere...

AA-12. World's deadliest shotgun!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

Saiga 12:

Saiga 12:

Saiga 12:

Full Auto/Semi-Auto Saiga-12 (Alliance Armament):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUe4NWiOq5A

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
Wife and I went shopping on sat and I ended up on a whim getting a mossberg 500 waterfowl. I am pretty happy with it. Will head out for some test shots maybe this weekend unless we hit the Range by our house one of these nights. I was on the fence between this and a benelli nova but benelli was a bit "too heavy" according to my wife, lol. As long as I get some birds with it I am happy. Already got our puppy used to the sound of pumping it. Took a little while but he might make a good dog yet...only 3 mons right now so can't expect too much.

USAFshooter

Obsessed Member
I've got an 870 express 12ga pump with a 26" barrel. its killed deer (slugs), ducks, turkey, geese, pheasant, and hundreds of clay pidgeons. It was my dads, and was handed down to me when I was 16. I've used his semi-auto but i prefer the pump because of the simplicity of design.

Cujo

FFI CCI
Forum Supporter
Shotguns are fun!

Not really opening a can of worms. . .I think shotguns are some of the most beautifully made firearms on the planet!!

1-What is your preferred type of shotgun? I use both O/U and S/A.
2-Fav brand? Beretta, Benelli and Saiga. I'd love to be able to have a Perazzi but I have to eat too!
3-Brand you use? Beretta (Silver Pigeon 3), Benelli (M4) and Saiga.
4-Barrel Length used for each type of critter? 30" O/U for both.
5-You ever use a 18" for hunting? No. Never really thought about it.

When we're bored, we'll break out one of those battery operated "Do All" trap throwers. It's a blast!

markerdown

Vires quod Veneratio
For me, I knock em' dead upland with my Remington 11-87, 28". It fits me well, points good and I like the balance. I use it for everything

Some folks bash the 1100 or the 1187 but if you keep them maintained like any other shotgun, they work fine.

They all kill the same, it just personal preference.

I've carried may types and brands of shotguns afield; s/s, o/u, pump and even singles. Both high dollar and econo shotguns. I always go back to the Remington.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I have worked at several shotgun ranges growing up and have seen them all from the $10,000 engraved and enlaid with gold to $200 pump action. I shot a 1100 with a 28" barrel and it did just fine. For hunting though a Benelli is hard to beat. And they also make a series for those who have deeper wallets and like something that is as beautiful as it is functional. I havn't tried the new 1187's.

Xodius

Blaster of Birdies!
My Mossberg...well I have taken it trap shooting a couple of times. Next trip will probably be the desert since I am on a 50% ability to fill the mag at the range. Sometimes yes sometimes now....seems to matter who you get there. First time it would not feed from the mag but the last few times it does about 80% of the time. Yesterday, since I am stuck at home watching my wife...she is on bed rest with our first, I broke it all down and ended up tweaking the elevator assembly and the cartridge stop. I might have fixed the feeding issues...maybe, lol. Worst case I will tweak a little more and get it just the way I want it. :) Otherwise it is a great gun, lol

hopper82

I have an 870 express and have had a lot of problems with it jamming. I have also hunted a lot with the Nova and find it to be a much better shotgun for just a little bit more money