• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Opinions on used police cars

Bob R

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've done my best since then to do 90 mph as often as possible!
90 is a good speed when coming out to Pahrump because I know for a fact 92 will get you a ticket. If you are polite you may only get written for 10 over. ;)

bob

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner / Outsider
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
This caused the exhaust valves to cake up, or something like that,
Had a friend who had a ' mechanic ' tell him that he " doesn't drive his vette fast enough to have the valves open all the way " . πŸ˜€πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜

I told him to never go back to that mechanic. He must go by the water hose theory of cam/valve operations. πŸ€£πŸ˜„πŸ˜

Same guy once told him his alternator wasn't charging the battery due to a kink in the batteries ground cable. πŸ™„πŸ˜―

tbirdsc

not so n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
90 is a good speed when coming out to Pahrump because I know for a fact 92 will get you a ticket. If you are polite you may only get written for 10 over. ;)

bob
When watching the Nye County Sheriffs on On Patrol Live, some of them are still driving Crown Vics

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I've done my best since then to do 90 mph as often as possible!

How much of a bribe do you have to give the tow truck driver to haul that Mercedes that fast??

NYECOGunsmith

WILL BAN FOR AAA Batteries
Staff member
Administrator
Lead Bouncer
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
If I'm leaving Pahrump, I can push it that fast.
With all the irate husbands, boyfriends, fathers and jilted women chasing you out of town, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't get it to 100 up the hill to the pass!

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
With all the irate husbands, boyfriends, fathers and jilted women chasing you out of town, I'd be really surprised if you couldn't get it to 100 up the hill to the pass!
Only two of those are chasing me out. Two of them are trying to bring me back; that's when the turbo kicks in.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

Grumpiness incarnate!
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Our maintenance guys say they are to be serviced to be in "as new" condition every time they leave the shop. Of course, I believe that's mechanically sound, not cosmetically.

We have 4 Crown Vics with still within the police department. 1 is still in service as a patrol vehicle. The other 3 are used by the police volunteer program. I wouldn't hesitate to use any on a long road trip- meaning I'm confident they wouldn't leave me stranded.

I think part of the equation should be what department the vehicle is coming from, and their maintenance policies.
I could believe that in an area like Mesquite. In a small town PD with on-the-ball maintenance, a Crown Vic could last a long time. My county spread over 500 square miles; by the time a vehicle reached the end of its service life, they were almost always done. We kept the best (OK, the least sucky) for driver training. Driving them could be fun as you never knew what would break next.