Oregon.....

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The wife and I just got back from a nice little 4 day getaway. Holy Hell Oregon !

My oldest son and his wife reside in Grants Pass.

Yes I survived the flight, as a matter of fact Allegiant was quite nice to fly, MD80 out and I've already forgot what we flew in back, revision 2-15-18 very nice plane. No delays, issues of any kind, very pleasant all around. And since the wifey won't see, the TSA in Medford girl coulda frisked me anytime....can you say swhiiiiing. Ok kidding :) !

We spent most of out time in Grants Pass, traveling to Crater Lake, several areas of the Rogue River and hitting small roadside sales, antique shops, goodwill dig store, just neat places, festival on the river...etc.

Good lord the areas we traveled were Gorgeous ! No traffic jams, people were very nice ! Clean and pure air everywhere, the smell, and I'm a smoker was amazing in the forest and everywhere we went, one area some sort of gorge that was fenced in, I had to taste the water, looked at the boy, let's hop the fence.....even at my age down we went, wives panicked but we got out taste...shocking to the body so clean and cold.

We ate, and had drinks at several local spots, one really sticks out and if you ever get up that way ya gotta go, NYCO, Tophog and the older crowd here would appreciate this place. Called the PowderHorn, old school mom and pop all the way ! We went on Mother's Day morning. You want to see some older ladies, just kicking ass in this small place with service and 2 cooks in the back, JHC running like a well oiled machine with a full house, hips swinging, plates flying and not a single piece of flatware to touch the floor. Young kids these days could take a lesson from these people. All with a smile and spot on service. Food was fantastic.

I was in awe watching the whole thing, I tipped them like they were Rock Stars.

One thing I took note of, there's a lot of flagpoles in the country flying the American Flag and right below, Don't tread on me! In the current climate I hope Oregon can pull thru and hold the anti's back. The wife and I are rethinking some things, we both agree it wouldn't be a bad place to retire. But I'm pro gun so it's mandatory they come.

It was crazy to see the marijuana grows right along the road, I'll never get used to that. I don't partake and I don't care, do what you want but for me it's just strange growing up when it was illegal.

Anyway, we had a great time ! I left my electronic gadgets behind, the wife....well you know. It was great to meet my sons wife and see him doing well, they are doing great and in such a beautiful place.

Oregon is Beatiful Country!

I should note, Thanks Wes, all was fine !

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
My Mom and Step-Pop are visiting this week, from Klamath Falls. They landed last night. "So hot!"..they are saying already.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Nice write up.

I remember visiting there in the '70s. Everywhere there were bumper stickers saying "Californians Go Home!"

So I did! :cool:

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
And it hasn't changed much Top, everyone that we touched with definitely feels that way. I had conversation with some of the local folks, I mentioned imagine waking up to the commercials we're seeing here with Sisolak, openly going for banning our freedoms here.

My feel for the folks there, shall not be infringed ! Regardless.

And I should mention my Beautiful Wife, she put this trip together for my Birthday, I'm very blessed to have such a Wonderfull Woman !

2GoneDE

Zookeeper
Forum Supporter
Oregon born and raised! I take the kids back every summer. I miss my homeland. The Willamette Valley corridor is filled with anti's...but beyond that you are in really gun friendly areas. My kids and I were visiting my sister in rural Eastern Oregon and walked into hardware store that sells guns in the back...chatted with the owner a bit and he got busy, he yelled "go ahead behind the counter if you want to see anything". Can you imagine? Lol. If you want to retire there, I suggest going in the winter...it can be brutally wet, cold or both. Oregon rocks!

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I love Oregon - except the lefty politics. The lefties took a great state and turned it damn near into California -much like they are doing with Nevada. It is a shame.

My grandfather retired there around 1969 after retiring as Lt Col in the Army. Bought some apartments, and a couple of businesses. His folks had a place outside of Portland (near where the airport is now) which was a few hours from his paradise on the Douglas County coast. I remember living there as a kid, and visiting all through the 1980's and 90's; and how much things changed from the hippies (fack)ing up the state. Haven't been back in about 5 years since the grandparents passed. Have fond memories, and love southern Oregon - but Eugene and Portland voters have screwed that state, much like the voters in Reno and Vegas have done here (and it will only get worse here).

Glad you had a cool trip. I would love to retire there too - so I sure hope something changes with the culture there.

Ron_O

Cave Dweller
Can't really complain about a state where public nudity is LEGAL!

http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/06/public_nudity_in_oregon.html

When I was living there the topic came up because someone was out gardening on their front lawn in the nude or something. Some areas outlaw nudity but only as it applies below the waist. Apparently women can go topless virtually anywhere they choose, though I never saw or heard of it.

General rule about Oregon climate (Washington too): If you live west of the Cascade Mountain Range you're going to get wet. Lots of rain. East of the mountains and it's warm and dry. Sometimes HOT and dry. I lived in Central Oregon, the City of Bend, at the base of Mt. Bachelor, but east of the Cascades. The exception might be on the south end of the west side, Medford and surrounding areas, because its a bit warmer and dryer there compared to further north on the I-5 corridor.

But Central Oregon near Mt. Bachelor is Vacationland USA according to locals. I started in Sunriver, largely comprised of vacation homes, and then moved a bit north into Bend. Bend is the first main town that's west of Burns, Oregon, the home of the Bundy-made-famous Malheur Wildlife Refuge. Obviously the politics in Oregon SUCK, even for small town Bend while I was there. With the likes of Governor Kate Brown and Senator Ron Wyden, I doubt that I'd ever go back there. Don't even want to visit. I moved to Bend to enjoy the skiing and snowboarding on Mt. Bachelor, but moved to Vegas from there and have never looked back. Don't miss it.

Years ago Oregon had an unofficial policy of 'foreigners please move along'. They didn't want to promote the state to outsiders. Lack of revenue forced a change. No sales tax in Oregon. Lots of outdoor tree-hugger types and generally speaking Oregon is about enjoying the outdoors. My pet peeves while living there were the insidiously slow speed limits on virtually every highway and the fact that it was ILLEGAL to pump your own gas there. So terribly slow when dropping into a gas station. I think they changed that law recently, making it legal in some of the rural counties to pump your own gas. Some residents freely admit that they DON'T KNOW HOW to pump gas! They also upped the speed limits on some of the rural highways. I think social media had something to do with both changes.

Definitely a liberal mindset in Oregon. Gotta love the Ducks-Beavers rivalry though! 'GO DUCKS' hehehehe....

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I have to agree on the gas pumping deal, I got out of the truck and tipped the guy a few bucks to find out what was up. To me that was fricking crazy ! The fella tells me under a population of 40,000 you can pump your own gas, over and it's illegal.

Can you imagine that here.......nah, I don't think so.

I do have family up there, on my Dads side but since I don't know him I don't know much. I guess since the first basketball game I ever went to was the Beavers against Cal Bears I'm a Beaver fan as my cousin played for them.

Oregon recently relaxed the gas pumping rules. Now New Jersey is the big hold out. Imagine that.

I do like Bend. Reno-esque, maybe a little colder. Good beer and nature, not as nutty as PDX or Eugene.

Born in Oregon City 1935. Went to school in Canby. Was named high school All-American football team 1952. Attended UofO. Served 21 years in the Marine Corps. Retired as a master sergeant. Visited Oregon some years ago. Would never live there now. My hobby is firearms and bullet casting , neither of which fit into the Oregon lifestyle now.

Ron_O

Cave Dweller
Oregon recently relaxed the gas pumping rules. Now New Jersey is the big hold out. Imagine that.

I do like Bend. Reno-esque, maybe a little colder. Good beer and nature, not as nutty as PDX or Eugene.
Yeah I totally forgot to mention the beer in Bend. Craft beer capital of the West! Beer, sports, and reasonable home pricing (until the resurge). Homes there were hit like here in Vegas during the crunch, losing more than 50% of their value until they finally recovered again.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I have to agree on the gas pumping deal, I got out of the truck and tipped the guy a few bucks to find out what was up. To me that was fricking crazy ! The fella tells me under a population of 40,000 you can pump your own gas, over and it's illegal.

Can you imagine that here.......nah, I don't think so.

I do have family up there, on my Dads side but since I don't know him I don't know much. I guess since the first basketball game I ever went to was the Beavers against Cal Bears I'm a Beaver fan as my cousin played for them.
I've been a beaver fan for almost ever. . . . oh, you mean a sports team! :rolleyes: