• Las Vegas Shooting Center - Customer Appreciation Day 10/19/2019! - CLICK HERE for details!

Pahrump Wal Mart

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Don- You have to remember that your one individual personal experience does not set the standard for everyone else. That picture is a large summary of decades of effort from 1000s of unions across the nation. We are not basing the whole idea on a job you held 40 years ago.
That was why I used the words "some of those " and not "everyone".

-Don- Auburn, CA

That was why I used the words "some of those " and not "everyone".
Yeah, you tried to imply that your personal experince from 40 years ago was the standard and final word, but it needed to be pointed out that it really isnt. That was one very dated example, for the most part, unions have been very benefitical to the nation's rank and file workers. That graphic was pretty accurate.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Yeah, you tried to imply that your personal experince from 40 years ago was the standard and final word,
Where did I say anything like that? You're accusing me for exactly what you did. Neither is a standard for the rest, regardless if union or not.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Yeah, you tried to imply that your personal experince from 40 years ago was the standard and final word, but it needed to be pointed out that it really isnt. That was one very dated example, for the most part, unions have been very benefitical to the nation's rank and file workers. That graphic was pretty accurate.
Yes 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Am I the only one wondering how this thread went from the main topic of Walmarts guns and ammo to a pissing match about unions? I must have missed something somewhere.....
Like conversations in person and on the phone topics grow and develop. I’m always a little surprised when guys get upset that one topic grows to another.

Ka Lbo

Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Like conversations in person and on the phone topics grow and develop. I’m always a little surprised when guys get upset that one topic grows to another.
Ya. Good for laughs when the shallow "thinker" posts. Simply priceless.

Where did I say anything like that? You're accusing me for exactly what you did. Neither is a standard for the rest, regardless if union or not.

-Don- Auburn, CA
No, no, you were trying to push the idea that the pro union graphic was wrong based on your persona experience from 40 years ago. Good thing I caught you on it. The graphic is pretty spot on and accurate, youre just trying to find some personal angle to discredit and you really cant. Just move on buddy.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
No, no, you were trying to push the idea that the pro union graphic was wrong based on your persona experience from 40 years ago. Good thing I caught you on it. The graphic is pretty spot on and accurate, youre just trying to find some personal angle to discredit and you really cant. Just move on buddy.
Good grief Troll. Can't you find something better to do? I mean, you are supposed to be a fireman, right? Why aren't you out fighting fires? Or do you troll those guys too, so they left you behind??

Good grief Troll. Can't you find something better to do? I mean, you are supposed to be a fireman, right? Why aren't you out fighting fires? Or do you troll those guys too, so they left you behind??
I keep asking- How is particpating in a discussion and showing an opposing idea "trolling"? You keep using that word and I am not doing it here. As for being a fireman, I never made such a claim here. Sounds like something you guys made up, but I never said that.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Sure, we've made up your career, not gleened it from your posts (rants) about it and your history in Clark and Mineral Counties.
Granted EMS and firefighters aren't the same thing, but regardless, please find another group to troll. You've worn out your welcome years ago.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Unions were great for me, when I was an underachiever.
The orange list on page two enumerates things that blow so hard, so freaking hard.
Anyone on the ball would want none of those. AFL-CIO-LMAO

Last edited:
That is one argument, although the $6.2B likely comes from a union... But on the other side of that argument is we pay lower prices instead of paying for their union "benefits".

My wife had a job where they nearly forced her into a union. It was a competitor of Walmart and for a couple hundred a month she got $hitty insurance we had to pay for; and a newsletter touting Democrats. No thank you.

But to each their own.

By the way, the "mom and pop" stores generally do not offer superior pay or benefits than Walmart offers - nor the chance of advancement. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about small business (I have one) but employee benefits is not a viable argument IMO.
I retired at 55 yrs old from the painters union here in Vegas with a pension of $4370.00 a month for life and had great insurance in my working years. The unions did me right during my 30 years with them.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I retired at 55 yrs old from the painters union here in Vegas with a pension of $4370.00 a month for life and had great insurance in my working years. The unions did me right during my 30 years with them.
So win, some don't.

I was union during the CWA strike in 1983. The union settled for an 8% raise, incrementally over 3 years, but also lost dental care. So in the long run, factoring in the loss of pay during the strike, we suffered a setback.

A few years later, because of divestiture, jobs were being phased out. I took an early buyout, rather than face an almost imminent layoff down the road.

DonTom

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
So win, some don't.

I was union during the CWA strike in 1983. The union settled for an 8% raise, incrementally over 3 years, but also lost dental care. So in the long run, factoring in the loss of pay during the strike, we suffered a setback.

A few years later, because of divestiture, jobs were being phased out. I took an early buyout, rather than face an almost imminent layoff down the road.
At GTE Lenkurt in San Carlos, CA, where I worked union, in the early 1970's, we had a strike that lasted for a little longer than nine months. At the end of this long unpaid strike, we got nothing gained. The company won this one. Us union people just wanted to get back to work and get some paychecks and voted to end the strike.

We were union, but never had any dental care. We also had no paid sick days.

Now that I have said all that, I cannot say I am against or for unions. Like everything else in life, trade-offs are the norm.

BTW, I can also remember some technicians who quit and went to work for Lenkurt's competitor, Farinon who paid better for their base salary, yet they were non-union, unlike Lenkurt.

However, I would normally get much larger paychecks than those guys did, when things were busy. I would get paid OT, either 1.5 or double pay depending on when, when those Farinon guys would work longer hours than I would, but still at their base pay, as they got no overtime pay.

When it was not busy, they had the best deal. But in a year's time, my pay was always higher than theirs, with less hours worked.

So take your choice. I have worked both union as well as non-union. I cannot say I have a preference until we know all the details of each.

-Don- Auburn, CA

I love asking the anti union people who have never been in a union why they hate unions....and the answer is usually "I dont know, were not suppose to support them" as they are just going along with the sheep. Its exactly like asking a liberal that is anti gun if they actually own a gun and the answer is "No". How can you be anti gun if youve never owned one and know nothing about them?? Funny world.

Status
Not open for further replies.