• Welcome to Nevada Shooters!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, buy and sell with in our popular Trading Post and more! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
  • Attention mobile users! The Tapatalk integration is down until further notice. For the full mobile experience, please simply use your web browser on your mobile device to view the forum. Thank you!

Picked up a Frost Cutlery knife

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I was looking for an inexpensive fixed blade that I could keep in the truck or carry occasionally.
Found a Frost Cutlery The Whistler on ebay for $5.75/free ship. I had a Frost folder years ago that held up well.
For that price I figured what the heck....I may try to find a horizontal carry sheath in kydex or leather.

some specs:

Overall Length:9.00"
Blade Length:4.50"
Cutting Edge:4.00"
Blade Thickness:0.14"
Blade Material:Stainless Steel
Blade Style: Drop Point
Blade Grind: Hollow
Finish: Black
Edge Type: Plain

Last edited:

johnthomas

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
I was looking for an inexpensive fixed blade that I could keep in the truck or carry occasionally.
Found a Frost Cutlery The Whistler on ebay for $5.75/free ship. I had a Frost folder years ago that held up well.
For that price I figured what the heck....I may try to find a horizontal carry sheath in kydex or leather.

some specs:

Overall Length:9.00"
Blade Length:4.50"
Cutting Edge:4.00"
Blade Thickness:0.14"
Blade Material:Stainless Steel
Blade Style:Drop Point
Blade Grind:Hollow
Finish:Black
Edge Type:plain

I like that knife. I have many Frost knives. Check out this site.
http://www.cutlerycorner.net/Products/Category?p1=Fixed+Blades+&+Hunters

jmano

uber Member
I am always skeptical when the blade material is just listed as “stainless steel”. It has taken me awhile but I finally learned that a couple extra bucks for decent steel is well worth it.

JR3

living in Henderson NV
I am always skeptical when the blade material is just listed as “stainless steel”. It has taken me awhile but I finally learned that a couple extra bucks for decent steel is well worth it.
I know. This is really going to be a beater knife I keep in the truck.
I have Kershaws, Gebers and Buck folders. I just wanted a inexpensive fixed blade that I can use and abuse if need be.

geo

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I have a knife that I used in my garage as a beater knife, thing keeps a nice edge, razor sharp, easy to get a nice hair popping edge. I liked it so much I had a friend make a sheath for it, then I redid the scales on it. They were hollow plastic with some crazy camo pattern on it, looked like this.

So I took a hunk of firewood, split it down, shaved it down, cut it in half and after shaping and refinishing, it looks like this. I also stripped off the black finish on the blade as well. I would not hesitate to toss this knife in a survival kit, thing just works. Sometimes cheap knives can shock you :)

geo

Obsessed Member
Staff member
It was pretty easy, I have never done anything like that before and figured it was going to be a mess, but with a good belt sander, some time, you can make it look pretty good.

Nice work on the scales and stripping the blade. I never really cared for coated blades but I guess they serve their purpose. I spend lots on my blades because for me their tools and I don't buy cheap tools. I do have a Kershaw Folder in the garage but still has decent but not great steel. My next purchase should be here Saturday A Nathan Carothers performance knife EDC 3" fixed blade. The way I look at it you get what you pay for in blades.