Please remove

Think most of the ammo I have/and rds I have used are 500 gr. round nose solids. Think the gun is about 13 to 14 lbs, so it absorbs a lot of recoil, but I make sure I am standing when I squeeze the trigger so I can move with the gun, and yes it is an ejector gun

My question about how it shoots - I was asking about how well it shoots to the sights with the regulation load.
I'm familiar with the recoil of 500s in the 458, not so bad if the rifle fits properly.

That 9.3 - is that a Kersten action? Hard to see.

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
How long are the barrels? It would make a good candidate to be re-chamber to .458 Lott, and you could still shoot .458 Win Mag through it. I am going to have my bolt action re chambered for 458 Lott, it has a 24" barrel so it should pick up about 200-300 FPS.

Casey

Earthquake, double rifles are special.
They're built around one load to shoot the barrels into the same group over a single set of sights.
The type of powder, the bullet shape and weight, even the primer can (and usually do) all affect the performance of the rifle on target.

It's not typical for a double rifle to end up hitting to the sights properly after having the chambers modified. Not at all like a bolt rifle in this respect.

The work involved in getting them to shoot properly is called "Regulation". Most often when a double rifle's load is significantly altered it needs to be re-regulated. This involves having the barrel ribs lifted and the physical relationship between the barrels changed by way of heating and moving the soldered wedges, then re-laying the ribs, then making new sights.

Not so simple.

Last edited:

Earthquake

Obsessed Member
I am familiar with regulated barrels but you can just about always find a load that will shoot close to what it was originally tuned for, its not a target rifle.

Earthquake I seriously doubt you have ever owned or ran a double rifle or have ever developed a load for a double rifle.

I'll also guess that you are one of the guys who think that a double rifle is a short range only weapon, and I'll also guess that you are one of the guys who assume that double rifle barrels cross their trajectories and believe that at that crossing point is where the sights are set etc.

Fire up your phone and call JJ Perodeau and ask him how many .458 Winchester double rifles he's reamed out to Lott and ask him how many of them needed to be re-regulated.

FZ
You are right I have never owned a double rifle, I have shot a few but never owned one, only shotguns. you post this guy JJ's phone number and I will give him a call and I bet he probably knows more about them then you do. I bet you drive a BMW!

Earthquake, JJ definitely knows more than I do about double rifles. He's easy to find via the Champlin Arms website
www.champlinarms.com

The Lott is fine for bolt rifles, but you don't take a $10,000 double rifle and punch out the chambers for a hotrod job. That puts it immediately out of proof and almost definitely out of regulation. It also dissolves that $10,000 figure.

For cars - no BMW here, but I own a few double rifles and have owned a few others. I've run and have done load development on many more.
They're different than bolt rifles. You might find them more interesting if you look more closely at the subject. They're actually pretty interesting, and the work that goes into them amounts to the high end of the art of gunbuilding.