• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Poly Coated Load Data - What to use?

Powder coated/polymer coated. Picked up a bunch of boolits for my .45-70 since I was running low.

Do I follow jacketed load data, or cast lead load data?

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
In handgun stuff, I use lead data. I would believe the same for .45-70, but let's get a consensus first!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
And I bought 100 of the ACME coated bullets for my .45-70 but haven't gotten around to even thinking about loading for it yet. Let us know how it goes. I'll need Trapdoor data, not anything substantial. Hell, I'll probably just use black powder if that's okay for coated bullets. No reason to think I can't, but I'll make sure first.

And I bought 100 of the ACME coated bullets for my .45-70 but haven't gotten around to even thinking about loading for it yet. Let us know how it goes. I'll need Trapdoor data, not anything substantial. Hell, I'll probably just use black powder if that's okay for coated bullets. No reason to think I can't, but I'll make sure first.
I'm probably going to load these into plain ass trapdoor type loads. 405gr, 1350ish FPS. I save the hot stuff for different projectiles. Almost all of my current 405gr loaded ammo is using trailboss to push about 1100fps. Awesomely fun for plinking, and accurate too. But I figure I'll load up some "useful yet reasonable" ammo this time around.

I whipped up a bunch of .45-70 over the weekend. Used up the rest of my lead 405’s but also made a lil batchy batch of 300gr powder coated pills loaded to about 1300fps. Still a fairly light load.

We’ll see if I die when I shoot them.

6778B7AF-112A-4AA0-9A77-BF7CEE704F79.jpeg

Sorry guys forgot to report my findings . My load was a maximum charge ,and I had zero problems . I shot these type of bullets in my 480 Ruger with max charges and didn't have any problems either. But I will say they smell odd .
What velocities were you pushing? Thats my other question here. How fast can I push a powdy bullet. Faster than plain lead? Slower than Jacketed?

oly29

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
Will be trying with new 230 grain RN bullets to load up some 45ACP for my son using 4 grains of Titegroup. Tried using 200 grain SWC but had a problem with the crimp and not fitting in the barrel. Now have a case gauge that I can make sure they will fit into the barrel. Using DG Bullets that are poly coated.