• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Post your offroad vehicle

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I need to put a few more dirt miles on her, but she's got great road manners; much better than you'd expect with those tires.

Pic taken last month north of Daytona Beach on my way to the distillery in St. Augustine.

IMG_7229[1].jpg

tdyoung58

Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Thought I'd dinner this before.
Both this in July of 2018.
2004, Dodge Dakota, only had about 96k miles. Been a local truck all it's life, originally sold in Carson City.
Had a couple things needed fixed, most I did myself. Has been really good on some washed out roads so far.

IMG_20180831_121414972~2.jpg

papisue

Traveling Man
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Thanks for the links much appreciated. I am mostly looking for easy to moderate trails to explore with, nothing to crazy. Maybe somewhere to camp for a night or so. My rig is just a stock trd OR 4x4. I have 9.3 inches of clearance with a front skid plate, but I'm trying to avoid rock crawling and extreme objects. Just want to avoid being stuck or rig breaking down way out there because i could not turn around or busted something along the way. Or info about trials that are one way only, dont want to find myslef going the wrong way.

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
B8A79A6C-AF52-4BEF-82C6-43644FE67E88.jpeg
My 1990 3VZE 4X4. Nothing special just pretty good on gas and good for mild trails. Super reliable I keep up with maintenance and replace everything with Aisin or Toyota Parts where I can. Fun and simple to work on.

I traded my old K10 for it straight up, cause this thing has ICE cold air (y). Before my back took a total dive I would get the boys together and torture them on hikes and stuff. More than a few times we’d run to the truck at the end of a hike to get in that AC.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Thanks for the links much appreciated. I am mostly looking for easy to moderate trails to explore with, nothing to crazy. Maybe somewhere to camp for a night or so. My rig is just a stock trd OR 4x4. I have 9.3 inches of clearance with a front skid plate, but I'm trying to avoid rock crawling and extreme objects. Just want to avoid being stuck or rig breaking down way out there because i could not turn around or busted something along the way. Or info about trials that are one way only, dont want to find myslef going the wrong way.
Another source is https://www.birdandhike.com/Roads/_Roads_index.htm

Clockwork

Active member (5.56mm)
Keep in mind that a 4x2 with a limited-slip rear end is oftentimes more capable than a 4x4 with an open rear diff. You can get a LOT of added capability for a lot less than going with a properly-done 4x4.
True a limited slip does add a bunch over a regular 2wd. What i truly mean by 4x4 is a truck... I need a damn truck lol

turborich

Keep in mind that a 4x2 with a limited-slip rear end is oftentimes more capable than a 4x4 with an open rear diff. You can get a LOT of added capability for a lot less than going with a properly-done 4x4.
This supercrew is 4x4 with a limited slip rear. My Expedition is only 2WD with a limited slip rear and it has got me places I never thought it would. You're absolutely correct that a properly set up 2wd can be pretty decent. Many stock 4wd trucks have open differentials. The supercrew should do fairly well being 4x4 and limited slip.

turborich

I'm not too much of a fan of this body style but damn does that look good. I need to get me a 4x4 one of these years, tired of only having a car.
Yeah, this body style is definitely old now, I personally like the 04-08 body style pretty well, but wasn't going to take a chance on a higher mileage 5.4 liter 3 valve. Not knowing how it was previously maintained scares me. The 3 valve relies on oil pressure for the variable valve timing and requires oil changes at recommended intervals. The 2 valve 5.4 is much for forgiving and is known to go past 250k. So that was my reasoning.