Precision 22LR Rifles

Match, so tighter tolerances over Bentz. Match is match for bolt action. Bentz is match for a semi auto (match front half and looser back half to facilitate the action working ). As I understand what I have read on 22lr chamberings. Essentially if you chamber a round shoot it with this barrel. (Warning on their website and engraved on the barrel for the most part.) Otherwise risk the bullet being pulled or the extractor failing to extract since the bullet seats into the lands when chambered. I haven't tried to see if one puts one in if it will extract or not if not fired.

https://www.shawcustombarrels.com/shop/product/ruger-precision-rimfire-match-barrel/47

Tom

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
A few of us went out today to do a little practice for an upcoming benchrest match. Once we finished practice my wife took her Vudoo out to 316 and 400 yards. This was her 1st time taking her 22 out past 50 yards. Winds were somewhat mild but even then at those distances it still needed between .5 and 1.5mils of hold to get on steel. It was also the 1st time getting DOPE at those distances. All in all she was able to land 8 or 9 out of 10 with 2 different brands of ammo. Even then the misses were mostly wind calls.

The new challenge in 22lr matches will take place beyond 200 yards. Get ready, it's some fun and challenging shooting.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Last week I took 2 rifles down to Mesa Arizona to the Lapua Ammunition Test Center. This was the final step in developing our 22LR Precision Rifles. When I started this thread 1 1/2 years ago I didn't really know what would constitute precision for the 22LR cartridge. I now know that in similar terms to the centerfire world a 1moa rifle is doable with factory rifles shooting factory ammo.

Last month at our 22ELR Match we also proved that it is possible to take a quality 22lr rifle out to beyond 400 yards with repeatable results. Several records were set at that match. I am of the belief that over the next years to come that the diminutive 22lr will become more popular than ever before. My favorite and most used rifle is now a 22.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
There has been a much greater interest by the gun manufacturers in the past few years to produce more accurate 22lr rifles.

Tikka has finally delivered their T1X rifle.It is a direct rimfire version of their well respected T3X centerfire rifles. They are starting to become more available.

CZ has come out with a better performing version of their popular 45? line of rifles. The new 457 version is just finding it's way to market.

With the addition of these 2 new mid-priced rifles and what is already on the market we have multiple ways to get involved in shooting all of the fun events out there. Between the NRL22 matches, Vudoo Rimfire Series and ELR 22 matches I've had more fun shooting my 22's than ever before.

steve

Obsessed Member
So here is what I witnessed this week concerning Quickdraw, his wife and one of his buddies. The voodoo rifle was more than enough to hang in a very tight bench rest match against a couple of dedicated bench rifles. I don't recall if the voodoo were on a front rest or bipod. I do know they are in the hunt for getting the championship this year. And I just checked quick lost the match by 1 point. Perfect score is 750. He had 749

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
The Vudoo's shoot well and are solid sub-moa rifles but with the new tagets that we will change over to next month I expect the spread between the dedicated brenchrest guys and us tactical rifle guys to spread out a bunch. Yes we are shooting off off bipods with rear bags. There may be a bit of more induced movement this way when the shot is fired and before the bullet leaves the barrel. It really doesn't matter to me a bunch either way because it's all fun.

The fact that factory tactical rimfire rifles can compete with benchers rifles is just another sign of the new commitment of the manufacturers to the new sports out there.

sYnOnYx

Resident .22 Addict
Hey Guys, looking to start doing some NRL matches myself. Got a 10/22 Custom Shop model. It’s shooting MOA with CCI. It was calling me. In the store. But I’ve always had a thing for .22s.

Are the practice sessions at DSRPC open to public?

steve

Obsessed Member
Hey Guys, looking to start doing some NRL matches myself. Got a 10/22 Custom Shop model. It’s shooting MOA with CCI. It was calling me. In the store. But I’ve always had a thing for .22s.

Are the practice sessions at DSRPC open to public?
On non match days you would need to go with a member.

steve

Obsessed Member
Been trying to apply for awhile but they still aren’t taking members according to the website.
Correct. It will be awhile until new members. Remember though the matches are open to the public. I match direct 3. Steel challenge. Thrifty 22. And regular bench rest 22.