• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Precision Rifle Scopes

How important is a good quality durable scope to you?

• As important as the rifle. No shortcuts here or cutting corners here.

Votes: 165 78.9%
  • Important but not as much as the rifle. Possible place to save money.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Somewhat important. A $200 or $300 scopes will do.

Votes: 25 12.0%

• Total voters

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
After several years of the same questions being asked over and over again and the answers being scattered over numerous threads I think it is time to consolidate the information into one thread. As we do this and try to keep the information organized and concise I think we need to lay some ground rules.

1. Give scope make and model #. List approximate cost.
  2. Give your overall evaluation on the scope. Use either Bad Ass Glass in Green or Cheap Ass Glass in red. Bad Ass Glass is a scope that has worked as advertised and held up consistantly for over at least 500 rounds. Cheap as glass is a scope that has failed in some way to meet expectations or advertising.
  3. Give the current round count and caliber of ammunition shot using this scope.
  4. List likes and dislikes of this scope.
  5. List any special features.
  6. List a possible good store or site to purchase from.

Post a picture if possible.

Even if you already see your scope posted use the quote box to repost your experiences, even if they are different than the original poster's. Try to keep to your own personal experiences with equipment instead of the "I know a guy who's cousin" type of stories.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
  1. Bushnell Elite Tactical 5-15x40mm. $300
  2. Somewhat Bad Ass Glass
  3. 700+ rounds of 308, 50 rounds of 270.
  4. I like the price point and features. Dislike the the paralux adjustment rotating the entire objective end of the scope and is somewhat tough to do while prone. Dislike non-matching turrets and reticle. The turrets are moa while the retical is mil dot although that seems to be standard on inexpensive tactical/target scopes. This scope has held zero and has been very repeatable.
  5. Comes with a sunshade.
  6. I bought mine through AMAZON

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
  1. Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm NP-R1. $1700-1800
  2. Bad Ass Glass
  3. 1000+ rounds of 308
  4. I love the crisp optics, snappy turret adjustment, matching turrets & retical and the side adjust paralux. Overall build quality is excellent. Lifetime warranty.
  5. Illuminated and adustable intensity reticle.
  6. Bought mine at New Frontier Armory. Cliff is the Man.

Last edited:

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
  1. SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical. $600
  2. Bad Ass Glass
  3. 1000+ ROUNDS OF .223.
  4. Feels very well built and durable. Matching turrets and reticle. Crisp optics. Snappy turret adjustments.
  5. First Focal Plane Scope allows retical ranging at all zoom levels but at higher zoom setting the reticle is so small it is not practical
  6. Bought through SWFA
I couldn't find a picture to post but check the link^^

1. Trijicon TR24 AccuPoint 1-4x24 $780
2. Bad Ass Glass
3. ~400 rounds of 5.56
4. This is my first scope. Functions as both a low power scope and red dot. It appears to be rugged and was easy to sight in. Crisp glass. There is no BDC, however haven't pushed it past 100 yards yet. Still getting used to using a scope- I like using basic irons.
5. Illuminated- tritium and fiber optic. Uses a Bobro mount, but is Trijicon marked.
6. Purchased from Bravo Company. The mount from MidwayUSA.

gunjunky

full blown addict
1. Bushnell elite 4200 6-24 x40 $500ish
2. bad ass glass
3.600 rds .223, 1000rds + 7mm magnum
4. I have had excellent results with this scope. have mounted it on several rifles and it finally found its resting place on my rem 700 7mm mag. scope always holds zero and returns to zero after extensive elevation adjustments.
scope has been used on many hunting trips where it has been banged up and exposed to brutal weather conditions and rough handling. the lens coating that breaks up water droplets and keeps from fogging is priceless for those who hunt in inclement weather.
5. not too many "special features" but sunshade has also proven priceless in field apps.
6. bought at Sportsmans Wharehouse when they were closing down Vegas stores.

Vegas50

1 Mile Shot Club
Ill have a USO evaluation to post up here in the near future. I have had the opportunity to use a few of their scopes in the past but i will finally have one of my own.
Upgrading to a FFP scope and giving USO a go this time around...stay tuned.

1. USO 22x ERGO $2900-3300
2. Should be one VERY bad ass scope
4. TBD 100% American made, Extremely clear glass, well defined knob clicks with a stronger click on full value mills or moa (.25, .5 and.75 moa get a medium click where 1moa gets a hard click) Only down side i can think of is eye relief is picky, but not an issue if its mounted to your rifle with your settings not using a friends rifle. Most feature of any manufacture out there. That's from the few USO scopes ive had the opportunity to use first hand.

5. EREK knob- .25 moa elevation knob allows you to set your knob to 0 and use 100% of your elevation regardless of base angle
Integrated anti can device- A small bubble level inside the eye piece
FFP MOA illuminated reticle with 11 brightness settings
35mm tube for increased total elevation
58mm objective
Honeycomb ARD/polarizer- eliminates lenses reflection and increases low light effectiveness

6. Cliff@ NFA is now the go to guy for US Optics as of last week.

Vegas50

1 Mile Shot Club
NF scope

1. Nightforce 5.5-22x50, 5.5-22x56, 8-32x56 NP-R1. $1650-1850
2. Bad Ass Glass
3. 2000+.308, 3000+6.5creedmoor and 500+ 50BMG
4. Good glass clarity, durable, NF is where top end glass begins.
5. Own(ed) 4 of them now. Only one of mine has ever failed and it was beat up by a 50bmg, a quick trip back for repair and shes as good as new. Still using them and would use again on future builds .
6. Go see Cliff @ NFA

firesupport

ranged
Forum Supporter
1. Conquest 6.5-20 x 50mm Matte (Mil-Dot) Side Focus, Target Turret ZEI521450#43 a You can bag one for around a grand if you shop around.

2.Bad Ass Glass It started life off on a .338 win mag and migrated to a 308. It finally ended up in my gunsafe until I find another use for it and the huge amount of magnification it offers. The target knobs went through countless adjustment and always tracked straight with audible clicks and positive engagement. A bit heavy but unavoidable on such a well made/large scope. I only blasted paper with this hog so I never really tested durability to an extreme but it never shifted zero between range sessions.

3. Around 500 rounds of .338 and well over 3000 rounds of 308.

4. Image is equally sharp from the center of the glass to the very edge through out the range of magnification. Lifetime transferable warranty.

5. The reticle is etched in the glass, personally I like this feature, good field of view with 50mm especially with x20 mag it is helpful.

6. I would check with lock and load or NFA here in town prior to ordering online but SWFA, Bear Basin outfitters and opticsplanet likely have it on hand and ready to ship.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
US Optics SN-3 T-Pal 3.2x17x44mm

US Optics SN-3 T-Pal 3.2x17x44mm $2,600.00-$2,800.00

Bad Ass Glass

More to come once I get more time behind it. First impression is excellent, the scope is built like a tank! The turrets are solid and clicks are positive and well defined. I zeroed and set up the EREK knob today at CCSP, it was pretty easy and quick to do. I left 1 MOA past zero so I shouldn't have to mess with the erector anymore just zero the knobs.

The internal ACD is great! It's much better having it in your sight picture than connected to a scope ring, main tube or picitanny rail. I have the digital illumination controls and so far I really like it. I'm looking forward to our next night shoot to play with it more. The windage knob has a protective cap which I really like having. The reticle is the CMG MOA and has 1 MOA subtensions on both the horizontal and vertical stadia lines.

Clarity is excellent and I found it is brighter and clearer than the SFP Nightforce even though it has a smaller objective.

Give US Optics a call and speak with Jason Kyle, he is extremely knowledgeable and can get you set up with a USO built to your preferences!

http://www.sincityprecision.com/a/Articles/Entries/2011/7/13_US-Optics-SN3-3.2-17x44mm-TPal.html

The SN-3 3.2x17x44mm T-Pal is a variable magnification rifle scope from US Optics. The scope features first focal plane, a 30mm main tube, 44mm objective and side parallax adjustment as standard options. During the short time I have been using the SN-3 I have been very impressed. The scope is very robust and made to handle the harshest conditions. US Optics rifle scopes are very prevalent within the military, law enforcement and competitive shooting communities. The staff at US Optics is very knowledgeable and experienced and they were very helpful when selecting features that would best suit my needs. Jason Kyle did an excellent job explaining the pros and cons of different models and options and with Jason’s help I was able to put together what I felt was the perfect scope for my rifle

06/30/2011- I put more rounds down range with the USO today. Vegas50 and I headed out after work. The more rounds I put down range with it the more and more impressed I am. The EREK knob is simply awesome, it serves as a "high speed" knob, zero stop and incorporates a resettable erector. Having a resettable erector means you can zero the scope and have all of the available upward travel to dial elevation. You don't have to worry about how much you'll have left after you mount and zero. The EREK knob is numbered to 43 MOA (22.5 per turn/ two turns) but I have 86 MOA of elevation travel. I have 1 MOA under my zero stop so that gives me 85 MOA of elevation if I need it! Like I mentioned before the clarity exceeds that of my SFP Nightforce NXS which is impressive because the NF has a larger objective, less glass (second focal plane) and lower magnification. The CMG MOA reticle is great and I'm really enjoying the 1 MOA sub-tensions especially coming from a NP-R2. I found myself mostly holding wind and being able to do it quickly and very accurately!

Last edited:

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Nightforce 3.5x15x50mm

1. Nightforce 3.5x15x50mm $1400.00

2. BAD ASS GLASS but I sold it.

3. 1,850 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor during desert practice sessions and numerous rifle matches.

4. I have been very impressed with the quality, clarity and repeatability of this rifle scope. I has held up extremely well and never failed me. Cost wise it is a mid priced scope, you save some money because it doesn't have high speed turrets, FFP or zero stops. Its a very simple and straight forward rifle scope. I have utilized it shooting from 80 yards to 1,760 yards and it has more than gotten the job done. I like the magnification range I feel it is very practical for LR shooting and rifle competitions. I wish it was FFP and had half way marks on the windage sub tensions. Something between the NP-R2 and NP-R1.

5. NP-R2, illumination, 1/4 MOA Turrets

6. Cliff @ New Frontier Armory "The Cliff"

www.sincityprecision.com

I have been using a Nighforce NXS 3.5x15x50mm for over a year now. The NXS line was originally designed for military small arms so it was built to withstand harsh conditions. The scope has served me well and has held up to everything I’ve thrown at it. I have found the quality, clarity and repeatability to be excellent.

This particular rifle scope is pretty bare bones, it doesn’t have zero stops, high speed turrets and isn’t first focal plane. The elevation turrets are the older style which has 10 MOA per rotation and numbered index marks to keep track of where your zero is. The scope is marked “Made in Japan” on the 30mm main tube. The illumination feature is incorporated into the parallax knob which doubles as the on/off switch on the left side of the scope. The battery life of the illumination feature has been impressive and I don’t mind leaving it on continually during our night time practice sessions. I haven’t needed to change the battery since I’ve owned the scope.

The scope is true MOA/MOA with the NP-R2 reticle and ¼ MOA turret adjustments for both elevation and windage. I have found the magnification range to be very practical, its set to 15x the majority of the time. I have found the NP-R2 reticle to be very useful for both range estimation and hold over’s. I know everyone likes bells and whistles but this scope is simple, affordable and reliable.

Last edited:

broke_again

Recreational Shooter
  1. USO TPAL 5-25 MIL GAP Reticle Cost $3400
  2. Bad Ass Glass
  3. 200+ rounds of .308
  4. Love the reticle, EREK knob, and illumination
  5. EREK Milestone - more tactile clicks, Internal Bubble level, Digital Illumination
  6. Cliff at NFA.

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
Founding Member

8x POSP ~$200
Bad Ass Glass (for cheap Russian crap)
1000+ 7.62x54R
Big step up from the PSO. More solid construction. Like the PSO, it is idiot friendly. If you want to hit something at 900 meters, you put the dial on "9".
Illuminated battery powered reticle. Current issue on the Dragunov (last I heard). Military reticle for judging distance based on standing human target.
Reticle is for x54R. Won't be accurate for x39.
Can buy from Kalinka optics

(POSP left / PSO right)

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
Founding Member

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical 10x40mm 1" tube, MIL/MIL or MIL/MOA
~$225
Bad Ass Glass
500+ .308
300+ .223
Great budget scope. Holds up to a lot of abuse. Some guy on sniper's hide did a torture test on his and it survived. I've owned 3 of these, none of them failed.
Recommended in John Plaster's book Ultimate Sniper. Used by some militaries.

I heard that they have been discontinued. Plenty still out there though.
MidwayUSA, Natchezss, etc. had them on a sale for a while.

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
Founding Member
Copied most of QuickDraw's review. I have the same scope.

1. Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm NP-R1. $1700-1800
  2. Bad Ass Glass
  3. 700+ rounds of 308
  4. Tough scope. Lifetime warranty. Clear image even at 22X.
  5. Illuminated and adustable intensity reticle.
  6. Bought mine at New Frontier Armory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
Founding Member

TA31 ACOG 4x32
~$1,000 - $1,400
Bad Ass Glass
1,500+ 5.56
Fiber optic reticle with tritium for low light. Super sturdy construction. Reticle markings go out to 1,000 meters. Up to 600 meters is designated (etched into glass at bottom) for M4. Beyond that is marked for suppressing fire from a M249. Battle proven optic. Probably the clearest glass that I own. Can see well into shaded areas at sunset.

Not ideal for precision long range, because it's uncomfortable to use prone, and it's not easily adjusted. You basically holdover to adjust.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I have a similar ACOG on my SCAR, TA31F. So far I haven't put it to too much of a test only firing around 500- 223 rounds. This sight is very rugged and the glass is extremely clear. The "F" series reticle is very nice and I've confirmed it accurate out to 600m. 4X power isn't very nice for me out past 300m though but that is mainly because of being spoiled with a NF scope with 22x power. 200m and in I like it much better than a non magnified sight.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Okay I need to dig up something that isn't bad ass glass to balance this thread out a bit. I have something in mind, if I remember after shooting I'll post it up.