• URGENT! Help STOP the UNCONSTITUTIONAL Red Flag Law AB291!
    CLICK HERE for details!

Precision Rifle Scopes

How important is a good quality durable scope to you?

• As important as the rifle. No shortcuts here or cutting corners here.

Votes: 165 78.9%
  • Important but not as much as the rifle. Possible place to save money.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Somewhat important. A $200 or $300 scopes will do.

Votes: 25 12.0%

• Total voters
1. USO SN-3 TPAL 3.2-17x44. 34mm tube. FFP. Mil/Mil. $3800+tax and shipping.
2. SUPER BAD ASS GLASS!!!
3. 1000+ rounds of .308
4. I like just about everything about this scope. It is the kinda quality that you can depend on. This thing is sturdy. You could drive a nail into a 2x4 and then shoot a nail into a 2x4 with it. Never loses zero. Very nice zero adjustment.
5. Adjustable Lit reticle. Intigrated Honeycomb.
6. Direct from USO so you can customize it to what you want. Or NFA can order you one.

Attachments

fixer

Nightforce 2.5-10 4Xmm obj, rangefinding, illuminated reticle. (can't remember model or price)
<100rds 7.62x51
Tango Uniform the scope shook itself apart on my Rem 700 LTR.
CHEAP ASS GLASS because it died a nasty death at a young age, BAD ASS GLASS because it was bright clear, sharp and had a great rangefinding reticle with 10" circles. haven't used the replacement much, but it's also bright, clear and sharp.

Nightforce replaced the optic. first time they replaced it, it didn't have a rangefinding reticle. sent the first replacement back and got one wth a mil dot reticle.

their CS was good, but took a while to get a proper replacement from them.

i have TWO other Nightforce Compact 4x optics (discontinued models) that cost under $200 each and haven't mounted them on anyhting yet. still NIB. shoulda bought more!!!

Leupold 2.5X Scout Scope
$250ish
can't remember round count
bad ass glass, if it's what you need

Compact ACOG 2x $700
AMBER reticle SUCKS in the desert.
glass is clear.
optic is soo small i misplaced it in the house and can't find it. WTF? rifle is sidelined until i relocate the optic.

Sightron SII 4-16x42
purchased used, can't remember the price.
can't remember the round count, but it's on a .22 bolt gun
BAD ASS GLASS

Weaver K4 (American made, steel tube)
ancient glass, still works well.
price- i think one was free and one was $30
no click adjustments... you just get to fiddle with the knobs, so it's zero it and leave it.
BAD ASS GLASS for the age and price, not so hot compared to modern lens coatings, click adjustments and other modern features.
multiple Varming Kong kills using one.

Unertl 2" 20x
@ 26" OAL it may be skinny, but it''s l-o-n-g!
EXTERNAL adjustments
price was CHEAP for what it is.
still works, just doens't get used much.
needs special bases only found on vintage target or varmint rifles.

Tasco 4-16x40 Varmint/Target
came my way as part of a trade, no way to determine my cost.
sat in a box for ten years, with a coat of rattlecan flat black on it from the DPO.
needed an optic for a new rifle, cleaned he paint off, got flip up sunshades and it works.
unknown round count. was on an AR previously, now on a Volquartsen.
will get replaced when i can afford a suitable replacement.

Springfield 3-9x56
made by Hakko, same house that makes Nighforce.
came mounted on an M1a, transfered to a HK91 but a shorter scope would work better.
reticle is cluttered
objective is HUGE.
works, but i'm not terribly impressed. would not have bought it if it dodn';t come mounted on a M1A that i got a good deal on.

Simmons 22 Mag 4x
CHEAP ASS GLASS purchased at WM about 17 years ago.
lasted thru a year or two of heavy use on a 10/22 before it shook itself apart.
got dumped in the trash after that.
20.000rds of bulk pack .22 (back when it was $8.88 a brick)
optic worked reasonably well for the low price and being run on a 10/22 before buffers were commonly available.

doesn't matter if it's cheap junk or hich end, they can all die, even if not abused. the difference was that one company warranted their discontinued product.

ricklaut

Quiet noob
Forum Supporter
* Vortex Viper PST, 6-24x50, SFP (MRAD / MRAD), 30 mm
I don't know much... this is my first scope on my first LR rifle, but I've got to rate it as Bad Ass Glass .

* 649 rounds of .308 over 6 or so weeks.

* Paid $645 for it because they sent me the wrong one (ordered MOA / MOA). Normal price is $745. It has worked as advertised, has features found on much more expensive scopes and it holds zero perfectly. I love the zero stop, positive feel to adjustments and (to me), the clarity is in par with scopes I've looked through that cost $1,500. My only complaint is with the parallax adjustment. It's really tight and doesn't seem to adjust quite far enough in some situations. Could be my eyes though...

* Zero stop, matching reticle, illuminated reticle (which I haven't used in the field), features for the price compared to competition, lifetime "no questions asked" warranty straight from Vortex, great customer service reputation.

* Believe it or not... Hayneedle.com was the only place I could find one when everyone else was backordered. Glad now that I got the Mil / Mil version (especially for $100 off).

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Have something awesome in the mail coming so I can finally fill in the spot I reserved! I'll have one more addition to make this summer and my match rifle will finally be done after almost 2 years!

Pachinko Pistola

Certified by DHS
Forum Supporter
Founding Member
1. USO SN-3 TPAL 3.2-17x44. 34mm tube. FFP. Mil/Mil. $3800+tax and shipping.
2. SUPER BAD ASS GLASS!!!
3. 1000+ rounds of .308
4. I like just about everything about this scope. It is the kinda quality that you can depend on. This thing is sturdy. You could drive a nail into a 2x4 and then shoot a nail into a 2x4 with it. Never loses zero. Very nice zero adjustment.
5. Adjustable Lit reticle. Intigrated Honeycomb.
6. Direct from USO so you can customize it to what you want. Or NFA can order you one.
$3800.... Holy **** balls. I have to try it sometime.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
  • Leupold Mk 4 3.5x10x44mm M1 $900 (average)
  • Bad Ass Glass but I sold it.
  • Held up to 1000+ rounds of my stout .300 WM load and 1000+ .308 rounds
  • I like that it tracked correctly and POI didn't shift when manipulating the magnification ring. 10x was fine when shooting on my belly at LR #1 but left much to be desired once I started competing. Glass wasn't the clearest by any means but I'll take durability over clarity any day.
  • This particular scopes featured M1 exposed turrets, 1/4 MOA elevation and 1/4 MOA windage.
  • Leupold scopes are available through many retailers

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Wow, look at the poll on top. 58 opinions and 49 feel that having quality glass is as or more important than the rifle. That is eye opening after all of the discussions over the past 2 years.

Last edited:

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
  • Vortex Crossfire $150.00-$200.00
  • Crappy Glass
  • My Dad went through two of these, both broke on his .243 Rem 788. I must add that even though the scope sucked Vortex optics has excellent customer service and quickly upgraded my Dad after he broke the second scope. Vortex makes a great scope but save your money and get the Razor HD.
  • This scope featured magnification up to 24x and a Mil-Dot reticle
  • Vortex Optics are available at most major retailers and you can buy directly through them

mes227

I have Nikon 3-9x40 BDC on both my AR-15 and Win Model 70 7mm Mag. Great scopes and I love the ballistic drop compensation, takes the guess work out.

JFComfort

Long Range Shooter
Got another USO coming. Going with the 3.8-22x58mm ERGO! Cant wait, going to mount this one on a 7mm SAUM "cheater" match rifle!

Decided to try the 35mm main tube and 58mm objective.

dondlhmn

Old...new....All I need are the basics....

I have two older (like 25 or 30 years old) Leupold 6.5 - 20X Vari X III AO scopes that are now mounted on rifles. They have been subjected to literally thousands and thousands of rounds while mounted on a pistol. As far as I know, there is nothing harder on a scope than a pistol, except maybe a pump up pellet gun with the "backwards" recoil they generate. I shot them "TACO hold" on a 32-20 Contender and never ever had a problem with reticles or repeatabilty. Neither of them have any of the new and "improved" features that a lot of scopes have now. They are both Leupold's fine crosshair with a target dot. Both are TOUGH scopes and the repeatability has always been and still is PERFECT even though they get cranked up and down literally dozens of times during a match. If these old scopes are any indication of where Leupold is now on the development continuum, the current ones must be WONDERFUL. Trouble is, the current ones are all so expensive that I have a heart attack every time I look at them due to the prices, but, so far, I can't think of any reason to buy anything except Leupold.......except for maybe the prices...but then I am an old fart and everything seems expensive nowdays to me! The only thing I could wish for is maybe more power...like maybe up to 30 or 32 or so, as I don't mind doing MOA calculations and cranking the scope the required number of clicks. Matter of fact, it seems to me that all the "extras" available now are nothing more than distractors, so I neither need nor want them.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Mine is to be determined. I just mounted, this week, a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 on my 6.5 Grendel AR. I also ordered a spot on elevation turret from Nikon, just waiting for it to show. Once I make it to the range I'll let you know.

I can say that the no32 mk 2 scope of my no4 enfield is bad ass. Obviously holds up to 303 brittish ammo. It's only 3.5x, the reticle is a single vertical black post, which make pinpoint accuracy a bit tough, but minute of man is easy out to 500 meters. Factor in the range is built into the elevation turret and ts a great system.

I also have an m84 on my m1d. Unfortunately over time the black coating on the inside of the scope has flaked off and appears as black snow flakes in the scope. I've only taken it to the range once, and I'm holding off on anymore rounds until I get the scope restored.

Quickdraw

"Ho'old on there"
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
  1. Vortex PST 2.5-10x44mm. $545
  2. Bad Ass Glass...so far
  3. 300+ rounds of 308 while mounted on a SA rifle, so far but many more to come .
  4. I like the price point and features. Matching turrens and reticle with very positive adjustment and audible clicks. 86 MOA of adjustment in elevation and windage. Zero stop. Illuminated reticle. Glass etched reticle with coated glass. Argon filled waterproof and fogproof. 30mm 1 piece tube for good light transmission
  5. Comes with a sunshade.
  6. I bought mine through Optics Planet

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x44-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'm not impressed. Range seems very limited compared to what some guys on here are shooting. How does this system work with moving targets?

But it makes you a sniper! :2guns: lol ill learn the hard way first, still working on range estimations and going to be backing it up soon to 1k now that i got my loader and some good loads.