• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Preview of first batch about to be completed

pc911lv

Sith Lord
Forum Supporter
Sog with Blade

Then it was off to play catch up on a pocket knife blade so it will be heat treated with the same batch of knives and dlc coated as well. This is the 52100 round bar that was forged flat and surface ground. It's the little piece of metal in the forge a few pictures back. I didn't know what I was going to do with it until this little project came along.

This blade is for a pocket knife for a electrician. It has all sorts of neat stuff for an electrician in the handle. Wire strippers and stuff. Normally I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole but I really wanted to see how the knife was put together and how I could use it in my own designs.

rough profiled and holes drilled.

Ground to 400 grit. Next to the original pocket knife.

That is my knife and I am excited as all heck to see it getting done!!! I have been out of town on a job so I am just catching up.

I brought that knife to Jimmy, on the hopes that he could fix the most functional, piece of crap bladed knife I ever owned. On the functional side the handle has different wire size holes and stripping accomodations. However, the blade is such a POS it would never hold an edge to make it so you could use the functions.

I am really looking forward to picking it up, and will review the results thoroughly for everyone.

Thanks Jimmy!

jseymour

Obsessed Member
This thread keeps getting cooler and cooler!! Can't wait to see what these look like when complete! I can already feel the money in my wallet slowly sneaking toward the door... What are you planning for the grips? Something crazy amazing I'm sure! Unicorn horn ivory? Hah! Keep up the status updates, we all get a kick out of them. ;-)
I plan on making this first batch into tacticals, so they will have G10 handles, black titanium chain ring bolts and kydex sheaths. Unfortunately the supply houses are all out of Unicorn horn ivory.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Today I got the salt pots prepped for heat treating. I started with the low temp pot as it was up to temp first. It's pretty easy to spot the difference in the two salts. The low temp was pink.

I had to keep waiting for the salt to melt then ladle in some more.

Finally the low temp was complete at about the same time the high temp started to melt at 1200.

the high temp made the pucker factor pretty high every time I added more salt. You could hear boiling off like grease in a bacon pan.

All in all it took nearly six hours today to get both pots prepped. I need to stuff some insulation between my tubes and the opening of the kiln. I think that will bring it up to temp much faster in the future.

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
I plan on making this first batch into tacticals, so they will have G10 handles, black titanium chain ring bolts and kydex sheaths. Unfortunately the supply houses are all out of Unicorn horn ivory.
Do I smell a group buy coming....:thumbup::thumbup:

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
How would a group buy work?
It's pretty simple:
1.Agree to style and price of knife in bulk purchase
2. Agree to how many is to be made and bought
3. People sign up on the forum on a list an either pre pay you or be collected by a member in the group buy
4. Knives created
5. Knives and cash exchanged
6. everyone:party:

Its a great way for members to get a discount by buying in bulk. It's also a great way for a business to get a big positive cash flow while getting free advertisement, through either social media, word of mouth, or on the forum.

Example would be:
-10 members would love to have a custom built uber quality knife.
- Business and members agree to bulk pricing an time period.
- Members can't stop talking about how they can't wait an all the wonderful things in life they will accomplish with said knife. An reliving Rambo films...
-Knives delivered
-Business happy-Customers:thumbup::party::yahoo::hurray:

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I would definitely be into to that. Ok as soon as this batch is done I will get started on what we agree to. We have a varied group here. Some will want tactical, skinning, camping, bushcraft, etc.. I will set up a poll and see what everyone wants and decided from their. I doesn't have to be my design either. Like a Loveless style hunter.

It's pretty simple:
1.Agree to style and price of knife in bulk purchase
2. Agree to how many is to be made and bought
3. People sign up on the forum on a list an either pre pay you or be collected by a member in the group buy
4. Knives created
5. Knives and cash exchanged
6. everyone:party:

Its a great way for members to get a discount by buying in bulk. It's also a great way for a business to get a big positive cash flow while getting free advertisement, through either social media, word of mouth, or on the forum.

Example would be:
-10 members would love to have a custom built uber quality knife.
- Business and members agree to bulk pricing an time period.
- Members can't stop talking about how they can't wait an all the wonderful things in life they will accomplish with said knife. An reliving Rambo films...
-Knives delivered
-Business happy-Customers:thumbup::party::yahoo::hurray:

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
I would definitely be into to that. Ok as soon as this batch is done I will get started on what we agree to. We have a varied group here. Some will want tactical, skinning, camping, bushcraft, etc.. I will set up a poll and see what everyone wants and decided from their. I doesn't have to be my design either. Like a Loveless style hunter.
Definitely sir, it is what you feel comfortable with an I think a poll is a great idea. But always keep it simple an to the point, no pun intended.

Example
3 options:
bush
edc
untility

color:
FDE
BLACK
OD Green

etc......

I think your designs an skill set are more than enough for ideas an I would want nothing less than your design sir:). But definitely keep us posted either in this thread or one on top, say like the commercial sales or other forums.

megawatt

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Okay everyone, Christmas is around the corner so start saving up. This will be one of those opportunities to have a hand built custom knife at a killer price from a local crafter.

Hey knife maker, I got a couple new blasters but I will not try to talk you into shooting tomorrow so I will stop by later to see you.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
Thanks for the invite but I will be to busy heat treating blades. This high temp pot takes for ever to heat up.
Go to the shop and turn it on, go to the range and shoot a few hundred rounds. Return to shop to hot high temp pot. You can thank me later.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well I'm glad I used test coupons to test my heat treat before using the blades. They range from a Rockwell c scale of 48 to 54. That's really bad. I was hoping to be in the 64 range. Time to make another set of coupons and tweak my heat treating formula today.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Here's more of an update on the knives. I needed some stronger wire for getting the blades ready. An old co-worker dropped by and got me some #9 wire we used to use for scaffolding. This is some pretty thick stuff.

I cut enough pieces a little shorter than a foot long to make them ready.

I moved my metal rack around and used a spare piece of conduit to make a really nice hanger that held all the batch knives together for heat treating.

Here's a test coupon being taking out of the high temp salt. this first coupon was heated to low and only reached a maximum of 54 on the c scale after mar quenching it. I was shooting for 64.

The test coupons were thermal cycled just like I intend to heat treat the knives. Taken to 1650 for ten minutes, 1550 for ten minutes, 1475 for ten minutes, and lastly 1300 for ten minutes. Then brought back up to 1475 and quenched at 425. Today I cycled another set but heated to 1550 and quenched at 400 and got a mar quench of 65 on the c scale. Now it's just a matter of bringing the high temp back down and testing ever ten degrees, until I have mar quenched blade at 64. Then I will know the proper temp to heat treat the knives at.

Since the pots were already warmed up I decided to go ahead and start the 1650 cycle on all the blades. Heres a blade coming out of the molten salt.

I am getting a little oxidation on the handles because the salt is running down the handle and exposing bare metal while it is still hot enough to oxidize.

When I'm working with the salts I wear all my PPE and probably am wearing more than I need to. Here's some pictures taken from another co-worker stopping by when I was cycling the steel.

And getting the next blade ready for it's molten salt soak.

Here's the whole batch and few other 52100 blades on the rack after the high temp cycle. You can see the salt has solidified on the blades at the tips.

Their still pretty hot at this point. I told a visitor not to touch them. Got to talking with them and thought I was reaching for one of the cooled off ones. I wasn't cooled off and gave the fellow a live demonstration on what not to do.

This whole process is taking far longer than I would like but is absolutely necessary to make the best blade possible with this method and this equipment. I should have the final temps dialed in by tomorrow and most of the blades will have been through the necessary cycles and ready for quenching by the next day.

User23

Sometimes, I think it is best to heed ones own warnings!

Those blades are a work of art and coming along nicely.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
So today was just more thermal cycling. I have so many blades that I am only able to do one temp and half of another per day. So in between cycles I decided to make a prototype of my next batch which will be a bush crafter. Here's what I came up with today.

This knife is 3/16 of an inch thick, flat ground, tapered tang and made out of O1 tool steel. In the future it will be saber ground. But I have to make a jig for that.

I'm still tweaking the design. I want the radius to be smaller next to the edge of the blade but that is currently the smallest wheel I have. It will come in two thickness's 1/8" and 3/16". Steel will be O1 and S35VN for stainless.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Heat Treating is Done!!!!!!

Finally. The heat treating is done. I still managed to get scale on the blades. Though it is very light. They still need another tempering cycle. After mar-quenching the blades and one tempering cycle they are still at a 62 rockwell. One more cycle should do it, but I'm done with the salt pots.

It was also pointed out to me that my pictures of the knives and their actual size is a little deceiving. My pictures make the knives look much smaller than they are. So here is a picture of a blade next to a full size Kabar.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Time to test a blade. Rockwell hardness was way to high still at 64. At first I didn't believe my reading on my hardness tester until I went to break a knife and found it really was that hard.

So first test of the day was to try and cut a bolt in half on the hydraulic press. I made it about half way through the bolt before the bolt snapped. Since my press is kind of slow I thought if that happened I would be able to react fast enough to stop it. I was wrong. Here's the bolt.

Not being able to react fast enough also cost me a bottom die today. It cut about a 1/8" deep into my die before I reacted to shut off the machine. So tomorrow I get to call around and look for some more 4140 stock to make a new lower die.

Having a rockwell hardness of 64 the blade was fairly easy to break. I couldn't get the camera to zoom in on the grain very well. This was the best I could do.

the different pieces of the blade breaking it to check the grain in several places.

With hammering a section of the broken blade I was able to cut about 1/2 way through a bolt. Any more than that and the thickness of the blade would shear the bolt and no longer cut it. That is why when you seem some people doing this the blade is extremely thin or it will break the bolt instead of cutting it.

The edge did deflect but did not chip. That is really good at 64.

I tempered them again today and if I have time tomorrow I will test another at about 60 to see what the edge does.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Today I had to do a little bit of machining to get my rotary multi platen to fit my TW90. It was designed for the KMG grinder from Beaumont metal works for convex grinding.

The first step was to machine a aluminum arm from the TW90 to accept the RMP.

Then I had to shorten the tool rest holders.

The RMP screws for some reason stuck out of the backing plate. I tried filling them for a while before I just unscrewed them and took them to the grinder to make quick work of them. I'm surprised by this as it would have caused a problem with the original tool arm it came with.

After it was all said and done it almost looks as if Travis or Rob engineered it to fit this grinder. The tool rest needs to be replaced though with a profile that will work with this particular platen.

This will make grinding a convex edge on some of the batch knives a breeze.