Preview of first batch about to be completed

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
Man everything is coming along, great job sir. Please school us non knife makers on different grinds? I always hear the term hollow grind or flat grind. What do different grinds do for profile, strength, and edge choice?

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Man everything is coming along, great job sir. Please school us non knife makers on different grinds? I always hear the term hollow grind or flat grind. What do different grinds do for profile, strength, and edge choice?
You got it. I will start another thread so we can add to it as grinds progress.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been sick and am just getting back to it. today I started to do a hand sanded finish on a few blades. This is the jig I use for that. It's called a green river rest from uncle al's supply.

Unfortunately that little vise just wouldn't cut it. So it was off to McFadden's to buy a real vise.

It didn't take long to get it bolted down and the little pocket knife blade set in place for hand sanding.

Now I use a misting system from Kool Mist to keep the water from rusting the steel as I'm hand sanding the blades, and two because the mist allows me to sand the blades wet which really increases the sandpapers ability to remove steel.

It took me nearly 4 hours before I could get the misting system to work. It had several clogged areas that had to be cleaned out before it started working.

Here you can see how with the cutting coolant and air it constantly blows away the grime and sanding residue as I progress through the sand paper grits. On some knives I will go as high as 2000 grit.

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
Great write up! If fu.ds are available when this set release i may have to grab one to support local! Will you post here when they are finished?

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Great write up! If fu.ds are available when this set release i may have to grab one to support local! Will you post here when they are finished?
Absolutely. Also I may have a few models done before the rest of the batch so people can handle them before the rest of the batch is done to get a better idea of what they are like.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
More hand sanding today. This one is just about done. I will take it to a mirror finish then place it in ferric chloride to give it a matt finish that will help prevent it from rusting. Unfortunately this blade can not be coated. So I will do the next best thing and rust it in the ferric for a nice finish.

Another thing I like about saber grinds is that the flats are far easier to sand. So long as I take my time and do the 120 grits as needed then the finer grits do not take very long. This is just to 400 grit. I will take it to 1500 tomorrow.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well today I got an education in how tough G10 is. This is my wood cutting bandsaw blade after only a few sheets.

And this is as far as I got with a my metal cutting porta-band saw before I broke my last blade.

All that for only 6 and 1/2 handles. I knew this was tough stuff but man, if I knew it was this tough I would have had the scales roughed out on the water jet as well.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Got my new saw blades in today. Woo Hoo. Time to crank out some G10 handles.

Then I started cussing when I ordered the wrong size. The tech manual that came with the bandsaw listed a different size. I didn't think they would do that so after closer inspection I found out the tech manual that came with the saw when I purchased it was for a similar band saw but not my model. You would never tell by looking at the pictures. But you sure can when you try to put the smaller band saw blades on the bigger one. So if anyone needs some really good saw blades that are 56 1/8" in length I have some I will sell you dirt cheap. Time to reorder the right saw blades now.

So since that was a bust I finished up PC911 pocket knife blade replacement. It's almost done. It's a little rough simply because I don't have the right jigs to work with pocket knife blades. This is my first pocket knife blade ever. It was forged from a piece of 52100 bar stock.

Then I got the some more heat treated blades and started removing the heat treating scale from the handles to get ready to rough fit the handles before coating.

And in-between the times I need to the let the surface grinding magnet cool down a bit I started rough sketching several blades people have asked me to make them. Here is a big karambit styled knife. Tomorrow I will work on a dagger, camping/tactical style blade for another customer.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Sorry for the lack of updates. As delivery times are taking a beating so is my progress. The original saw blades didn't fit so in the meantime while I am waiting for more I got my buffer up and running. No one in town that I knew of sold buffs in 3/4" arbors. So I had to order a arbor adapter from Brownells. It got my buffer up and running though.

I had to start making a new drilling jig after the last one got stolen. I milled a piece of 4140 stock I have for dies to the proper size.

Then drill and tap some holes.

I will have the jig completed tomorrow to show you what it looks like in case you want to build your own.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Almost finished the new drilling jig today. I got thwarted by home depot not having a decent selection of bolts so I have to go to a different hardware store tomorrow and get some more bolts.

After drilling and tapping the bottom holding dies I am now drilling a set 1/4 20 holes in the base plate. This will be to support the bottom of the knife so it does not flex while being drilled.

Tapping the holes. I really need to get one of those little jig's from Brownell's that looks like a small puck to make sure I am tapping straight.

Here's the completed jig on the drill press. It has a tanto blade, with sand colored G10 scales clamped to the handle.

This allows me to drill at the correct angles with tapered tangs.

You can see the empty threaded bolt holes in the last picture. Their will be bolts that come up from the bottom supporting the handle so it won't flex while drilling through the handle material.

The new bandsaw blades arrived today. They fit. And the first one was promptly destroyed by the G10. I also ordered different types and will see what the carbide blade does tomorrow. If it doesn't work I will have to find a place in town that can cut the big sheets into smaller strips so I can use my metal cutting bandsaw.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but me and my camera have been having fits with each other. So now I am doing my final grinding on the blade and getting my plunge lines as best I can. During the rough grinding I don't worry about making them line up or you will get what we call a 2" mark.

First I use a square and with a sharpie mark where I want my plunge lines to be.

then using a vise because this operation needs three hands I gently am just holding the weight of the blade and will line it up using my Bruce Bump carbide file guide. And bolt it down.

Here you can see how the carbide insert will insure that the sandpaper on my disc sander can not sand beyond where they are bolted down to.

After sanding on the disc sander my plunge lines are pretty darn good almost perfect but we all know nothing is perfect. Looking at a blade from this angle you can see if the grinds are even and see how well someone has done on the plunge cuts.

Again sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
A little more grinding today. And then the delivery of the last piece of major equipment arrived today. My Iron Kiss Forging Hammer arrived today.

For now I am through buying equipment. It feels good to not have to shell out anymore cash for equipment. This was ordered back in June and arrived just before Christmas.

And it's proudly Made in the USA.

It's in it's place right next to the forge. Now I need to rent a forklift or figure a way to get the 2750 LB. Hammer off it's shipping crate and plumb up the air lines and it will be up and running. I'm hoping to try and forge a damascus billet with it this weekend.

LvEp3

uber Member
This entire thread has probably been the best thread I've ever read in any forum. The in depth process has been something I have enjoyed reading during my breaks at work. Thanks a lot !!!!!!!! Would love to buy a knife from you

gundamit

Super Duper Noob
Forum Supporter
This entire thread has probably been the best thread I've ever read in any forum. The in depth process has been something I have enjoyed reading during my breaks at work. Thanks a lot !!!!!!!! Would love to buy a knife from you
Vote in the poll an sign up for a group buy in the same:)

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Merry Christmas and thanks for the kind words. Progress has been slowed due to funding. That is mostly taken care of and saw blades and materials are rolling in. I received quite a bit of material and tooling over the past week.

I plan on have a few knives completed soon and they will be Cerrakoted locally. I have also found a local and fellow forum member to help me with the kydex sheaths.

I am going to have to skip the DLC on this batch. I am being told their will be a 4 to 6 week wait on the coating after I ship it to them. I found someone saying the could in San Diego and was prepared to drive them down their myself and have it done but now they will not return or take any phone calls. I hope they did not go under but it may have happened.

Also prototypes of a new camp knife and bushcraft knife will be available for viewing soon. I've had several members contact me for custom work and if they give me permission I will show everyone their designs and the complete work to make them.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Hey guys. a few updates. I'm still hand sanding till I'm blue in the face. There are a lot of blades in this batch that need this attention to detail. It's boring, tedious, and not very fun. You can only take so many pictures of sanding the same blades over and over again. Their is just no way to make this part sexy. Well maybe I could get a model to come over and take pictures of her do some of the hand sanding.

Here are a few that will be sent off locally in a few days for Cerrakoting.

The only thing different I can show you is a few I forged today to get pictures made for the new website and Facebook page. I have a small little clip point bowie knife that was patterned after an 1800's era Sheffield bowie knife. It's a small but deadly little knife. The handle was redesigned from a MS Tommy Gann boot knife I acquired. Being a gamblers knife it will have pearl handles and stainless fittings. It will also be a frame handled knife. Here is how it starts.

This knife will be a San Mai knife or laminated knife. The inner core will be O1. The outer laminate steel will be 416 stainless steel. Also when etched all the stainless steel and it's accompanying fitting will take on a grey silver type finish complimenting the pearl handle.

After cutting the material to size I grind all the mill scale off the metal.

Put the metal in the vise and get ready to weld it up.

Then I weld the seems. This does several things like keep it together long enough for me to bring it up to forging temperature and to seal the inside of the steel off from air preventing area's from not wanting to weld together.

After welding it up I then grind a lot of the weld metal off to visually check that I do not have areas that didn't weld well and need to add more metal. Plus all the metal forged into the steel has to be ground out later. It's easier to remove the majority of the metal at this stage.

The pattern next to the billet on the anvil.

Next is to change out my forge. The atmospheric forge didn't do a great job the last time I used it so this time I broke out my old forge from Al's Riverside Machine Shop. It's designed with a blower so you get a lot more heat. This is my Damascus Making forge.

With the blower set up here you get a lot more heat faster.

after the initial forging I realized I had way to much material. No problem I just forged a tang on the other end of the billet as well and then cut it a 45 degree angle on the chop saw in the middle to make to knives instead of one.

One of the billets.

Right now they are slowly cooling down in a bucket of vermiculite to make them soft as butter knives by tomorrow. I'll check them then and see if they turned out alright and can be used or not.