• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Preview of first batch about to be completed

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well a whole lot of hand sanding and polishing is going on. Here's a before and after picture of two of the knives.

I'll take a batch of knives to be cerrakoted on Monday. Then have the kydex made, and then finish up the rest. Soon as that is done it will be time to start the next batch.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Well the past couple of days have been a whirlwind. I got all the paper work, receipts, etc. for the accountant for the taxes.

Got in a new drafting table so now I no longer need to leave the shop when someone wants a custom design. I can draw it right their in front of them and design it together. So a few of you have been to my shop and we have briefly gone over a design I will be calling you up soon so we can go over it together and make changes in real time together.

And of course my favorite part of knife making continuing the hand sanding and got a few more ready for final polish to be coated.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Things have been really busy around the shop. I'm getting the giddy feeling as the batch gets closer and closer to being done. First things first though. The new buffer arrived.

It has some shipping damage. But still ran fine. I bolted it in place of the new one and even though it didn't have a bearing issue it still would turn the pedestal in circles. This being the most dangerous piece of equipment in my shop wouldn't do.

So I bolted the stand to the shipping crate made for the power hammer and it did pretty well. Their is still a bad vibration from the stand itself. I guess the stands with the shelves just really aren't that good. It will have to do for now but will upgrade to a pedestal stand as soon as possible.

So I had an old shipmate look me up that had just retired from the navy after putting in his 20 years. Retired as a E7 or Chief Petty Officer. We had a few drinks at the hard rock. Then I invited him over to the shop on the weekend so he could forge his own knife to give to his son.

forging out the tang.

now to the anvil to forge the tip

Here he's almost completed the blade.

and to the hydraulic press to get everything the same thickness on the tang.

So I set the grinder up and showed him what he needed to do. The rest was up to him.

and to the part I love the most (sarcasm) the hand sanding.

the final product before he had to leave again.

I'm sure he'll have the blade finished the next time he is in town in a couple of weeks to the point he can finish everything at home. Not bad for his first time ever.

And finally the batch knives are starting to come together.

For those of you who have come to my shop requesting custom work I got most of the preliminary designs done and will be calling you guys soon to come and check the designs on paper. Well refine them from their and put them to steel soon.

jjcapurro

Pilot. Libertarian.
Forum Supporter
I agree! Would be a great skill to try out, even if it was just for one blade.
Could be a weekend class like Rifle Dynamics does! Except much cheaper and you make your own knife under Jimmy's excellent supervision! I'd attend! :thumbup1:

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I have had lots of requests for just that. I like the idea. A stock removal blade could be made in a weekend. A forged blade takes a few days longer because you have to anneal the steal and do a lot more grinding on it. I'm gathering all my books and material from when I went to school at the ABS school for this and trying to put together a workbook so people can do as much of the hard stuff here, and maybe finish it at home. It may need to be a three day class. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for the stock removal.

Also if you are a knife maker already like some of you who have visited my shop and want to get into forging your more than welcome to schedule a time with me and come out and use the forge and see if it is something you want to do. Or do get a little practice in before heading to one of the ABS schools.

Rob Thomas in North Las Vegas was talking to me about having classes in his shop. He has a 6500 sq. ft. shop by the air force base and wants to give lessons to the airmen and anyone else that wants to attend. Maybe I can work something out with him. http://www.thomasdamascus.com/

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Six knives went off to get cerakoted Saturday. I should have something to show you guys in a few more days. I promise I haven't forgotten about you guys.

megawatt

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Show the brilliant mirror like shine you put on the blade complete with g10 handles next to a cerakoated blade with the g10 handles. I think you may find customers that prefer the option of a non coated blade. The non coated blades that you finished and showed me, are works of art. Might also serve as a survival feature to use the blade as a signaling device, can't do that if its cerakoted.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
so part of the big batch is out being cerakoted. Here is the next line up to cerakoted in a few days.

Doing more research on the whole cerakote process and talking to other knifemakers these will only be brought to a 320 grit finish. Most of that will be done on the grinder and that will greatly speed up the process.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
I literally picked these up less than 30 minutes ago. The first of the cerakote is completed.

The first completed tactical. Very few of the tanto's survived to make it this far.

Now to get the kydex made and finish up this batch.

megawatt

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
After seeing the coated knife, I think the mirror finish better shows the craftsmanship and beauty of your work. Polish up one of those unfinished bad boys for a good side by side pic to compare them.

jjcapurro

Pilot. Libertarian.
Forum Supporter
After seeing the coated knife, I think the mirror finish better shows the craftsmanship and beauty of your work. Polish up one of those unfinished bad boys for a good side by side pic to compare them.

Agreed. Let's have an option for polished blades! :)

jseymour

Obsessed Member
A few more handles were roughed in today. Their almost finished. Then they get sent off to get some kydex pants put on them.

Started another prototype of the little utility knife. I called it a bushcrafter on some knife forums and it upset a lot of people because it's not scandi ground. So I guess I'll call it a woodsman's or outdoorsman's knife or something. The finished outdoorsman's knives will sell for 225 each. This one that is completed with carbon fiber and kydex sheath is no longer needed so I'm putting it up for sale at 150. It's a prototype so it does have a few things I don't like about it. I guess all prototypes do.

I bought this leather sheath off of eBay and like the way it is done. I don't think I have the equipment to build them though on a large scale so will be looking for a leather worker for those that want them in leather.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
The handles are finished. I still need to match which scales go with which knife but that shouldn't take to long. Now to get the kydex done on this set and get them out the door.

jseymour

Obsessed Member
Bobtail delivered the sheaths today. Nice to get some done. Here they are. Just need to be sharpened and some bolts adjusted. Should be completed tomorrow. Now to continue cleaning the shop and getting the equipment ready to forge before it gets to hot to.

One for a master electrician. The other one will be FDE for the other master electrician.

The Wharncliffe.

The drop-point.

the Americanized tanto.