• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Private sells

JohnnyK

"My name is NOT Johnny!"
Forum Supporter
If you sell someone a toaster, do you require a bill of sale? If you buy an electric drill from someone do you demand a bill of sale from the seller? A private property sale has no need for a bill of sale.

garand_guy

Obsessed Member
I think bills of sale are usually no big deal, although I do not believe in them. But we all need to have the understanding that the second they start talking about total registration/confiscation those things go in the shredder.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I have decided that I would let someone look at ID, but that is as far as it goes. If someone wants to write down my info or has the audacity to attempt to snap a pic of my ID - NOPE! I don't want strangers knowing where I live, my birthday, etc.

"Bill of Sale=Pass on Sale"

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I agree. As of now you,can look at my DL, and CCW that match and are all current up to date. I'll do a BOS if you want but any pictures etc are out of the question.

I have a safe at home and a paper shredder. Your info is safe at my home. You the buyer I know nothing about and is my info safe with you, not willing to take that chance....Hell NO.

The last 2 transactions I've done with members here were perfect, solid people and very comfortable. No stupid questions and the like.

Ive never done a BOS and probably never will. I did sell my G43 to a guy on Armslist (listed here first) and I asked to see his ID because he looked young. I just wanted to make sure he was of legal age.

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
I have done BOS here before, but not in the past 3 or 4 years. Depending on what it is I might for something at a gun show.

YoungGun

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
The last transaction was with MAC702. He dropped by my house, submitted to a bunch of questions (usually not gun related) to make sure that he's not a prohibited person, submitted a DNA sample (when he worked on my AC system on prior visit) and gave me the cash. Super smooth transaction since he didn't even take a look at the item that I was handed to him.

Normally, I am just good with looking at an ID to make sure that:
1. NV resident.
2. Of legal age (Don't want to hand firearms to an under 18y/o kid).

Yg

Last edited:

bwh

uber n00b
The people that are asking for BOS have no clue what 2A really stands for. They should all take their "CA mentality" back to CA stat!
But wait, wait for whiney rebuttal, its coming . . . . .

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
I must admit I think the OP is one of several members with things for sale and I stopped reading the ad as soon as I saw the "bill of sale" part. Tempting stuff, too.

Bill of sale = registration paperwork in the hands of a stranger and who knows where it goes from there. No thank you.

I'd like to see a BOS Yes/No box in the subject line of things for sale. Would save me a lot of time looking into the ad.

Last edited:

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
If you sell someone a toaster, do you require a bill of sale? If you buy an electric drill from someone do you demand a bill of sale from the seller? A private property sale has no need for a bill of sale.
The FBI has admitted (I'll look it up if anyone doubts this, but it was well documented a couple years ago and widely disseminated) that more murders are committed with hammers than rifles.

Do you make sure your hammers get a paper trail? Sell anything at that last yard sale that could be used as a club?

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
The FBI has admitted (I'll look it up if anyone doubts this, but it was well documented a couple years ago and widely disseminated) that more murders are committed with hammers than rifles.

Do you make sure your hammers get a paper trail? Sell anything at that last yard sale that could be used as a club?
Not really that they “admit” this, but it is a fact they publish every year. Google “fbi homicide tables” and you’ll get a list that compiles the weapons used in every homicide nationwide. It gets put on different sections each year as part of the annual crime report, this list has 2012-2016 tools used. And, yes, rifles (including the dreaded “assault” rifles) kill fewer people than blunt objects every dang year. https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
I don't see any reason for a bill of sale under the current state of the law. I have not asked for one for any item I've sold. I've passed on items because the seller wanted one, some I haven't. If I want it bad enough to do a bill of sale, I require the seller to give me the same information that they want from me and provide the same proofs. If anything bad happens, the seller has as much to risk as I do. Otherwise, no dice.