• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Private sells

Yep. Take pics of your guns every year or so. And keep in mind, most insurance companies limit theft claims to $1,000 unless you’ve previously scheduled the weapons ahead of time. Reason is if someone comes home to a stolen safe, too many people would try to claim they had 20 high end rifles inside when it was really far different.

I agree. I also recommend Collectible Insurance Company not just home insurance if you have a firearm collection. The pictures and the paper works such as receipts or BOS will serve as proof of ownership.

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
Sorry, it must be said:

"Sell" is a verb, an action, it requires conjugation: I sell, you sell, he sells.. I sold, you sold, and so on. "Sale" is a noun, it is not conjugated and usually would appear together with definite or undefinite article "the sale", "a sale". When person A sold something, they made a sale.

Attachments

LASCHRIS

When you buy or sell a used firearm from a FFL, internet, or a member here; how do you know it's not stolen? Any liability attached to the firearm if it is used in a crime, or accident? I believe you are in criminal court trouble if you knowingly sell to a prohibited person. What about civil court? Lots of billboards, and TV spots for the local ambulance chasers. Imagine having sold an AR to Steve Paddock?

Why do most handguns for sale here have 200-250 round count. Sounds like BS to me. Can an expert SIG gunsmith tell the difference between 250, and 2000 factory round count?

What about liability for people selling ammo? How does one know the bullets were not hand rolled by someone's deceased Uncle Jerry five years ago? A quick peek at brass and bullets would tell unless Uncle Jerry always consistently rolled 115g xtp bullets with star line brass. A squib load while practicing tribble taps would just ruin your day. Everyone wears safety glasses right?

Just throwing this out for debate.

terdog

uber Member
"For me either filling out a very minimal BOS ( firearm make, serial, date and your name) "

I agree.
I draw up a minimal bill of sale with the above information. If you have trouble with giving me your name and think that that is super secret information then you can walk on over to somebody else.
I would rather have a bill of sale then not.
If something goes wrong, that is one more piece of evidence I can use to show that I made the attempt to do things right.
Just because it is not required by law does not mean that you should not do it. Do what you want, but I will do a bill of sale every time.

How many people got hung for horse theft cuz no bill of sale? Lol

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
... Imagine having sold an AR to Steve Paddock?
Which point are you trying to make? If no paperwork exists, no one knows where he got it from, and they can actually focus on important parts of the investigation, instead of harassing, and making public, perfectly legitimate people who were not otherwise involved.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
"... a very minimal BOS ( firearm make, serial, date and your name) "

I agree.
I draw up a minimal bill of sale with the above information...
What good is a bill of sale if it doesn't have address and sufficient information to actually contact said person and differentiate them from other people?

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Staff member
My "BOS" here is PMs, if something were to happen and I was asked about an item I could look up.

I can just imagine the police looking for certain pistols that have been for sale on this page.
Mr. Titan where is your S&W M&P9? Sold it to Gullwing. Gulling yeah I sold it to Tophog, Tophog I sold it to Nyeco, Nyeco I sold it to Mike, Mike I sold it to Mac702. Mac702 f***off

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
My "BOS" here is PMs, if something were to happen and I was asked about an item I could look up.

I can just imagine the police looking for certain pistols that have been for sale on this page.
Mr. Titan where is your S&W M&P9? Sold it to Gullwing. Gulling yeah I sold it to Tophog, Tophog I sold it to Nyeco, Nyeco I sold it to Mike, Mike I sold it to Mac702. Mac702 f***off
And mac702 sells it back to Titan! :D

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
I hope Mike and Mac got a good price for it, I did, I tuned that one to a fair thee well, but I should have mention I used it in three hits before I sold it, and I signed the bill of sale with my left hand and I signed "Geo"........soooooooooo

LASCHRIS

Which point are you trying to make? If no paperwork exists, no one knows where he got it from, and they can actually focus on important parts of the investigation, instead of harassing, and making public, perfectly legitimate people who were not otherwise involved.
Scenario: I order a new Daniel Defense DD5V1 at my local GS. They in turn order it from a wholesaler or direct from Daniel. The paper trail starts. I do the form at my LGS take it home, and wife has a total fit. I sell it to you without paper work for $200. You in turn sell to someone else with no paperwork. The DD5V1 is stolen while the new owner is out of town. Some mentally ill person buys it on the street and shoots up a church. The nutcase escapes the crime scene. The trace starts. I have a bus load, the entire alphabet of federal agents breaking down my front door with a warrant. I tell the cops, I sold it to some fella named mac from the internet. Before a carpenter arrives to fix my door I have TV trucks parked in front of the house. Mac, I did everything within the law. So did you in this scenario. My face is plastered all over CNN. Nothing but trouble. I insist on a bill of sale. Do as you wish.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Yep. Take pics of your guns every year or so. And keep in mind, most insurance companies limit theft claims to $1,000 unless you’ve previously scheduled the weapons ahead of time. Reason is if someone comes home to a stolen safe, too many people would try to claim they had 20 high end rifles inside when it was really far different.
A hi point isnt high end? That sir, is subjective

LASCHRIS

For those that do and keep the bill of sale, what do you guys do with them?

What information do you collect?
Minimum, name and birth year direct from their NV license. or if buyer is willing, a photo of their NV license. The buyer has my name, I have their name. If cops come knocking at the door, I pull the paper copy of the scan out of the gun safe. With todays anti gun media, and litigious society, I feel I need to cover my ass.

terdog

uber Member
What good is a bill of sale if it doesn't have address and sufficient information to actually contact said person and differentiate them from other people?
As a seller, I have the buyer sign my copy, so I have a name and a signature and probably some fingerprints and DNA, if it gets that far. But at the very least I have a document that is credible with a different signature than mine.

As a buyer I have the same document to prove that I bought the item and am the legal owner. If the seller tries to run a scam and say that I stole it, I have the same information and physical evidence.

Again, all this is better than nothing.

I have a file where I store all "gun" related matters and thats where my BOS' go.

Luckily I have never had to use any BOS to prove anything.

LASCHRIS

As a seller, I have the buyer sign my copy, so I have a name and a signature and probably some fingerprints and DNA, if it gets that far. But at the very least I have a document that is credible with a different signature than mine.

As a buyer I have the same document to prove that I bought the item and am the legal owner. If the seller tries to run a scam and say that I stole it, I have the same information and physical evidence.

Again, all this is better than nothing.

I have a file where I store all "gun" related matters and thats where my BOS' go.

Luckily I have never had to use any BOS to prove anything.
I have to ask, how do collect prints, and a DNA sample?