• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Private sells

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
...There are easier ways to get even more information on people, than to list and sell a firearm...
Very true, but I took his point to be that once the BS is out there, anybody might get a hold of it. Very few will treat it as securely as a gun shop treats its paperwork. In addition, the unauthorized person also now knows it's a a gun owner. And if a BS doesn't contain sufficient info to make one vulnerable, then it's a useless BS anyway.

EVEN WHEN a BS is stored securely, for how long is that? When a gun shop dies, the records are forwarded to secure storage at ATF. When your seller dies, what happens to his paperwork? 18-yr-old Jamal helps Nana go through it all.

Last edited:
The whole BOS charade is just another example of gun owners making up “laws” to follow as if we didn’t have enough already.
Fact: A casual private seller of a firearm is under NO legal obligation to collect or retain ID documentation of the buyer. The sad thing is for all of you “better safe than sorry” crowd touting the benefits of requiring a BOS is that you are actually opening yourself up to potential legal jeopardy by doing so.

Nothing like giving someone you don’t know and have no idea how they will care for your personal information. I don’t worry about the guy I give it to. I worry about someone else getting it from them or them tossing it and someone finding it.

Give me a copy of your license. I can change your address online, get a new license at that address, pay with a fake account, and then get your license suspended for that bad account. That is just the tip of identity theft.

Documents are forged all the time. If you lack the trust to sell someone a gun inside the confines of the law, where do you get the trust to give a stranger your information? What makes you think that the info on the BOS you signed is going to stay intact. If the altered copy goes before a judge, say for a condition of parole hearing on a family member staying at the home of the seller"good Guy." It will become validated stamped and certified true and correct. If the "forged" gun you never saw comes in question, you can present your non certified, never been to court, copy and face forgery charges on top of the made up stuff. The info on the paperworkis more valuable than the gun... Always! I learned that one the hard way.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Never thought of a bogus bill of sale. For what purpose would that serve?
I'm just saying that if you think having a bill of sale keeps the innocent folks (those of us who legally and responsibly buy sell and trade firearms) out of harms way or perhaps out from under the scrutinizing eyes of any given law enforcement agency, then why wouldnt it do the same for somebody who made a bogus one?

Last edited:
Documents are forged all the time. If you lack the trust to sell someone a gun inside the confines of the law, where do you get the trust to give a stranger your information? What makes you think that the info on the BOS you signed is going to stay intact. If the altered copy goes before a judge, say for a condition of parole hearing on a family member staying at the home of the seller"good Guy." It will become validated stamped and certified true and correct. If the "forged" gun you never saw comes in question, you can present your non certified, never been to court, copy and face forgery charges on top of the made up stuff. The info on the paperworkis more valuable than the gun... Always! I learned that one the hard way.
I can't tell if you are arguing for it or against it..........

LASCHRIS

"Life is hard enough. It's harder when your stupid
Nothing like giving someone you don’t know and have no idea how they will care for your personal information. I don’t worry about the guy I give it to. I worry about someone else getting it from them or them tossing it and someone finding it.

Give me a copy of your license. I can change your address online, get a new license at that address, pay with a fake account, and then get your license suspended for that bad account. That is just the tip of identity theft.
A common occurrence in the LV valley is auto crashes. Exchange of info is required.