• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

Problem with Mosin Nagant M-44

LASCHRIS

I hope I spelled that right. I have a M-44 that after a so called "gun smith" fixed the won't fire issue, I am unable to remove the bolt for cleaning. Any of you smart guys have any idea of what part(s) may be involved? I have seen the prices these antiques are going for, especially for ones in good shape. I would like to keep this in working order.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Lift the bolt from the closed and locked position until it stops, ensure the gun is unloaded, pull the bolt to the rear while simultaneously pulling the trigger, the bolt should slide free of the receiver, unless it has been improperly reassembled and foreced into the receiver.

If that was done, the bolt will be very difficult to lift from the closed and locked position.
I've only seen that happen once, gun came into the shop that way, when I lifted it against the force holding it shut, and retracted it while pulling it rearward, it separated into two pieces, so I was unable to see exactly how it had been improperly assembled.
Never tried to duplicate that issue, was worried doing so would damage something.
I reassembled the bolt, it went back into the receiver smoothly and functioned as it should, including removing easily.
Checked the headspace, bolt face, firing pin, safety checks, test fired it and returned it to the customer.
To this day I have never figured out what was wrong, as I said, that was the only one I have ever encountered like that and I have a great deal of hands on time with all the various models of the Mosin Nagant family.

LASCHRIS

Lift the bolt from the closed and locked position until it stops, ensure the gun is unloaded, pull the bolt to the rear while simultaneously pulling the trigger, the bolt should slide free of the receiver, unless it has been improperly reassembled and foreced into the receiver.

If that was done, the bolt will be very difficult to lift from the closed and locked position.
I've only seen that happen once, gun came into the shop that way, when I lifted it against the force holding it shut, and retracted it while pulling it rearward, it separated into two pieces, so I was unable to see exactly how it had been improperly assembled.
Never tried to duplicate that issue, was worried doing so would damage something.
I reassembled the bolt, it went back into the receiver smoothly and functioned as it should, including removing easily.
Checked the headspace, bolt face, firing pin, safety checks, test fired it and returned it to the customer.
To this day I have never figured out what was wrong, as I said, that was the only one I have ever encountered like that and I have a great deal of hands on time with all the various models of the Mosin Nagant family.
I think this is the case.

Anyway, if I installed a Timney trigger in this little beast, would that solve two issues; no bolt release,and a real sloppy trigger? The cost of a Timney is more then I paid for the rifle. The recoil is right up there with an 30.06. Maybe install a good pad. Perhaps, motivate me into returning to handloading, I could load up practice rounds that don't hurt. I often used it as my truck gun for years. Never had cause to pull it out except at the range.

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Yes, as I recall Timney makes a drop in trigger for the Mosin Nagant, don't quote me but I think it's the model #307, and that would clean up the sloppy trigger.

As for it curing the no bolt release, no, you still have to get the bolt out the first time and find out what's keeping it from releasing as it should with the original trigger.

Once properly assembled (the bolt I mean) it should come out of the receiver when the original trigger is pulled with the bolt open all the way as designed.

A good recoil pad will go a long way to taming the recoil, as would adding a recoil reducer, like the Dead Mule series, into the buttstock. Hand loads can also get it down to a more manageable level.

LASCHRIS

Got it out, it works now. At least dry fire. Going to pull the stock. Never had it off. Want to take a look see. Thanks a million for your help.