• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

PSA AK47 Gen 3 Failure

USNGoat

Just another dude...
That's because you bought a USA wannabe AKM. When PSA sells these "AKM" rifles, it's the customers who are the actual beta testers. You're better off plunking down the extra cash and buying a genuine import.

And if I hurt anybody's "feels" over the above statement, ZFG.
lol :rolleyes:

Purists gonna purist I guess. Hope you only own Russian AKs, otherwise you own some wannabes yourself.

Every company has issues every now and then, but for whatever reason PSA attracts detractors like flies on (poop) in the AK world.

Rob Ski, a celebrity AK fanatic on YouTube says really nice things about the PSA ak. I kinda bought this model based on his 5000 round evaluation.

USNGoat

Just another dude...
Rob Ski, a celebrity AK fanatic on YouTube says really nice things about the PSA ak. I kinda bought this model based on his 5000 round evaluation.
Yeah he's a pretty good gauge for initial reliability. 5k rounds shouldn't be considered a lot though.

Like I said man, (poop) happens. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to one of my guns either, don't get me wrong. But as long as the manufacturer takes care of it, I'd be happy. I've had to send a few guns in for fixes over the years, just never an AK.

The timing makes me suspect that when PSA released the AK74 they made some changes to the firing pin for the 7.62x39 rifles. Perhaps a new provider for them, or some other design change. Either way you look at it, they changed something at about the time the 5.45 guns rolled out, and it's causing several cases of over-extending firing pins or even worse, broken firing pins.

Jayc71

Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
Update.

Got my hands on some Golden Tiger ammo, so took the PSAK out today and put two mags through it with no issues. I checked the spent cases too and didn't see a single punctured primer, so I'm inclined to say this was an ammo issue with the cheaper Red Army Standard stuff I had initially. I'll update again if I see any similar issues with other ammo or with the AK.

From PSA today:

Hello dan,

The following repairs were completed on your Palmetto State Armory product:

Replaced the firing pin for one within spec. Test fired without issue.

In a few days you should receive your tracking number in another email once your item has gone through our quality control process.