• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Question about transfers

SoloLobo

Active member (5.56mm)
Now that transfers take days to complete, if Im doing a private party sale, how/when is the money exchanged?

Does the seller have to come back when the transfer comes through?

HBoswell

uber n00b
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
That's a really good question. I haven't done one yet so I can't really answer, but, it seems to me that the firearm is actually in the FFL's possession as soon as the 4473 is submitted and the transfer fee is paid, so I don't see why you would need to return unless the BGC fails.

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Better question is if we can treat these as out of state transfers. You drop off the firearm alone, the FFL lists the item into the book, and the buyer comes and pays for a BGC and the transfer. If the buyer has a CCW then no background check.

Gullwing

Former Padawan Apprentice Now Master
Staff member
Each one is different. Some exchange cash when they come in to do the transfers, others exchange when they come to pick it up. If I was selling, why would I want to make two trips? I would do cash up front.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
Correct, it's not up to NFA how the two parties decide to handle that part. But I'm very interested in hearing if they have the ability to treat it as an acquisition/transfer of the store instead of a private party transfer.

Of course, they still totally deserve the fee, but it eliminates the unconstitutional delays.

Ronsmag

Dam I got old fast !!
Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
2023 Supporter
I just did 2 went to the FFL I looked over the weapon in the parking lot paid the seller we both went in and the FFL takes our ID and I fill out the 4473 and the seller left it was over the weekend so I picked up the weapons on Monday I have a CCW but on a PPT you still have to do the BGC

Kinoons

Well-known member (45 ACP)
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
I just did 2 went to the FFL I looked over the weapon in the parking lot paid the seller we both went in and the FFL takes our ID and I fill out the 4473 and the seller left it was over the weekend so I picked up the weapons on Monday I have a CCW but on a PPT you still have to do the BGC
Person to person yes. How about person to FFL to person, and the two people just happen to both live in the same state.

MAC702

I don't believe in the no-win scenario
Forum Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
That would even be worth extra fees if more paperwork was involved.

You know, for the few who are complying with all this nonsense, that is.

GatorJim

Squib Saver
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
2021 Supporter
2022 Supporter
2023 Supporter
2024 Supporter
Trading Post Subscriber
Did a deal today. Afterwards, both buyer and seller waited about 10-15 minutes in a line outside the store to go in.
Once inside Ron walked us through the buyer/seller paperwork. Took about 15 minutes.
IMHO, all and all, not too bad given all the Draconian transfer laws and the fact we are in the middle of a pandemic.
Thanks NFA, good job!

Brian2A

Member (9mm)
Forum Supporter
2023 Supporter
Seller doesn't have any paper work just take a pic of his DL
As a seller in a PPT, they photocopied my ID and the buyer paid for the transfer. They did have me initial and sign the paper the copy of my ID was on, can't remember what else was on it. Service was quick and they charged $25 without having to mention "Nevada Shooters". They explained everything and gave us each a receipt with our names, said it was like a bill of sale. I'd recommend them.