Questions about CCW renewal/addres change in Northern NV (Washoe and Lyon County)

Hello all,
I have moved to Dayton from Washoe County and need to change my CCW over.

Can someone break down barney style how I accomplish this? I tried looking up CCW information on
the Lyon County Sheriff's site and I could not find the information.

My CCW also is set to expire in March of next year. What is the process of that and how far out may I renew it.

Thanks,
-Linny

You change your address. It is a Nevada permit. When you re-apply, the law says you are supposed to apply at the sheriff who originally issued your permit. No one does it this way and they just apply in the county in which they live.

Timely topic, I just moved from Washoe to Lyon myself.

On Nevada Carry they state "For Nevada residents who change counties (ex. from Washoe to Douglas), you may keep your permit from your former county until it expires, when you would renew in your new county of residence."

So I do a change of address with Washoe. Do I include the $15 fee? Will Washoe issue a new permit with my Lyon address? Of do I just notify of address change, no fee and renew in Lyon?

I will answer my own questions. I called the number for the CCW program at WCSO. Yes, submit change of address with them with proof (new DL) and a $15 check. They will issue new permit with my Lyon Co. address. When comes time to renew do so with Lyon Co. Sheriff. Hope this helps someone.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
FYI, there is no "proof" required by state law to change address. You are only required to notify the issuing sheriff's office of the new address. Fees are only required if you wish a new permit to be mailed with the new address. Forms are not required to be used. You can just write them a letter. Those are the only requirements. Anything beyond that is for convenience but can't be required. Of course, they have a badge, and you don't, so your mileage may vary. Even Clark accepts letters with no fees or proof.

ZilWin

Obsessed Member
FYI, there is no "proof" required by state law to change address. You are only required to notify the issuing sheriff's office of the new address. Fees are only required if you wish a new permit to be mailed with the new address. Forms are not required to be used. You can just write them a letter. Those are the only requirements. Anything beyond that is for convenience but can't be required. Of course, they have a badge, and you don't, so your mileage may vary. Even Clark accepts letters with no fees or proof.
And I wrote the same thing Mac, then deleted it, when I looked at the Washoe County form which specifically states

B. In addition to the completed application please include:
a. Change of Address: copy of a valid Driver’s License with a current address and a check or money order for $15.00 made payable to WCSO.

I thought it was strange that they would demand you pay for an updated permit. Sounds illegal but as you say they have badges and guns and a different set of laws that apply to them.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
The $15 fee schedule for the duplicate permit is defined in the same statute I linked above for address changes.

Cirdan

Very Active Member
Douglas County was much looser. I did pay to get a new permit with the updated address, but they told me it wasn't necessary.