Questions about fox hunting in the American West.

In England it is traditionally done on horseback following a pack of hounds.

Can fox hunting in the West be done with hounds still?

Does one absolutely need a whole pack of hounds or will a pair do for the individual fox huner?

Does one need a horse, vehicle or burro to fox hunt?

Can it be done on foot?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Best done at night and yes, you need a vehicle unless foxes are thick in your yard.
Kit foxes are most prevalent.
It must be done on foot (or horse/burro) except for those with a handicap exemption that allows shooting from a vehicle.

Dusty

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Back in the day kit fox used to be thick. Back before predator hunting exploded. We used to see 20+ a night around Rachel NV. Spotlight is the best way to hunt them. They are by far the dumbest when it comes to getting shot at. If your calling they will just keep coming back.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
Back in the day kit fox used to be thick. Back before predator hunting exploded. We used to see 20+ a night around Rachel NV. Spotlight is the best way to hunt them. They are by far the dumbest when it comes to getting shot at. If your calling they will just keep coming back.
They are still sooo thick around the Virg. I hang a "jingle-can" with a driveway monitor pointed at it. We called them that because we would put empty brass in them before the monitor.
Bacon grease goes in the can. As soon as the sun goes down.."Bee-doo!" The alarm starts going off in the trailer.
Usually don't shoot them..Usually..More like little buddies.

The Virgin is still rotten with dogs of both sizes.

Best done at night and yes, you need a vehicle unless foxes are thick in your yard.
Kit foxes are most prevalent.
It must be done on foot (or horse/burro) except for those with a handicap exemption that allows shooting from a vehicle.
I live in Idaho where red foxes are permitted to be hunted throughout most of the state year-round. I'm interested in red foxes and not kit foxes.

I want to learn about all the different game species that can be legally hunted with up to two dogs of my very own. I only want to hunt with dogs of my very own. I don't want to own a whole pack of hounds but just two at the very most.

For birds and waterfowl, one or two dogs will always suffice be it retriever, pointer, spaniel or setter.

For deer and elk in Idaho, and perhaps in Nevada as well, one can legally have a leashed hound for blood-trailing a wounded animal. I believe a leashed hound is allowed to track a wounded moose in northern Idaho as well.

In the American West, less California, one can legally free-cast hounds for bear, rabbit, fox, coyote, badger?, coon or lion but can any of these critters be practically hunted with as few as two dogs?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
No hunting big game in NV with dogs, period.
I have hunted big game in NV in the company of dogs, though.

Attachments