• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

rattlesnake hunting

jimkd7

yea i usually do as well but started thinking about the skins and meat might be fun with the proper gear

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Don't know what they are worth now, but back in the '70s in So. Cal., I used to get $1 per inch for any rattler over 24" from a guy who made belts and hatbands.

I don't kill them anymore, so I just avoid them, or move them to a remote area. But Mojave Greens are to be avoided at all costs. Nasty little critters!

jimkd7

yea i heard about the mojave greens i thought people were bsing me at first but looked them up and yes they are lethal in a painful way

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Not only meaner and more lethal, but are also territorial. Most rattlers just want you to get away. A Green will chase you, sometimes up to an 8th of a mile.
-
And yes, they have rattles. Some people say otherwise, but I've seen plenty of them.

They aren't a 2-stepper, but definitely get medical attention if you get bit.

gotta hunt them with a stick and a knife.. well thats if you want to preserve the meat and the skin. not to hard but definitely scary as hell the first couple times.

trick is to hit them mid section to "stun" them then get the stick on the head and hold it down while you cut it off, and always remember to bury the head as it can still bite and kill you haha

jimkd7

isn't vegas at the outer edge of green territory??
someone told me they stayed around certain elevations(lower elevations)

jimkd7

gotta hunt them with a stick and a knife.. well thats if you want to preserve the meat and the skin. not to hard but definitely scary as hell the first couple times.

trick is to hit them mid section to "stun" them then get the stick on the head and hold it down while you cut it off, and always remember to bury the head as it can still bite and kill you haha
i was planning on getting whatever animal control types use, snake chaps, and maybe a sword the same length as the sticklol

Redeemed1

I try to avoid them as well, but have seen a few while hiking around town. I even moved a baby rattler off the grass at the park on the east edge of Lone Mountain. Told the wife to keep walking along with the dogs while I move this snake. Didn't want the next kid playing on the grass to get bitten by it.

I used to own a snake and have some experience with handling them (just not rattlers). I found a very long stick, just the same.

The most rattlers I have ever seen was in New Mexico, where they lay out on the road at dusk and look like fallen branches. You couldn't help but to run them over there were so many.

SCJeffro

In God We Trust!
A friend of our family is a Rattlesnake hunter in Montana, He has been bitten so many times he is immune to their venom! I have personally seen him reach down and grab a HUGE Western Diamondback with his bare hands!! CRAZY STUFF... He has all kinds of arthritis and joint problems from doing it for som many years!

My parents still have several desktop pen holders and paperweights he made for them with Rattlesnakes that he posed and then set in clear epoxy... They are scarry looking because he usually posed them in coiled up or striking poses then poured the epoxy!

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
isn't vegas at the outer edge of green territory??
someone told me they stayed around certain elevations(lower elevations)
They were plentiful in Ridgecrest, CA.

Same elevation, just on the other side of Death Valley.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
what are people preserving them in whole snake? are the skins easy to preserve?
Soak the skin in a heavy salt solution, and stretch it flat on a board. Leave it in the sun 'till it dries.

Tophog

Biker Trailer Trash
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Straight anti-freeze works too, if I recall.
-
I'm sure you can Google it.