RE: Remington Model 597 .22 Mag...

In 2008 after my wife passed away, my son wanted to go to Cabelas as he had never been there. He was in the army. So we went and I was looking for a Ruger 10/22 Mag, but I found out they had been discontinued four years earlier. :( However, just by chance on the used rifles racks there was a Remington Model 597 .22 Mag with a synthetic stock, exactly what I wanted. I bought it for $200 and two magazines. Personally have never liked .22 LR but enjoyed shooting my Ruger Single Six with the .22 Mag cylinder. After I got my rifle home, I looked up some reviews and found that there were some probs with FTF and FTE! It allegedly had to do with the magazines. Now Remington must have thought so too, because they upgraded their magazines...TWICE! ...but still could not fix the problems and eventually discontinued the model. :(
More recently, someone on here suggested I try changing out the extractor to a Volquartsen. SURPRISE! It worked. Today, I went out to Fernley, west into the hills and shot my Remmie. It worked great. I only had two FTF, prob because of my not loading the mag properly and when I reloaded those two rounds separately they worked just fine.
So the Volquartsen extractor worked just fine. I look forward to many sessions in the future shooting what I once thought would be a lemon. :)

I have 2 597’s but 22lr & I guess I got lucky because so far (knock on wood ) they have ran smoothly, I do have a ruger 10/22 magnum & the only Ammo that cycles smoothly is the cheaper grey box of Winchester fmj... the hornady stuff seems to stovepipe . Big difference in performance between the 2 calibers & $$ too. Fun as hell no dougt 🤘🏽

jim

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Good info. I just inherited one in 22mag from my dad. I haven't got it out to the range yet but I will look into doing an extractor swap in the near future

NYECOGunsmith

Obsessed Member
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
In 2008 after my wife passed away, my son wanted to go to Cabelas as he had never been there. He was in the army. So we went and I was looking for a Ruger 10/22 Mag, but I found out they had been discontinued four years earlier. :( However, just by chance on the used rifles racks there was a Remington Model 597 .22 Mag with a synthetic stock, exactly what I wanted. I bought it for $200 and two magazines. Personally have never liked .22 LR but enjoyed shooting my Ruger Single Six with the .22 Mag cylinder. After I got my rifle home, I looked up some reviews and found that there were some probs with FTF and FTE! It allegedly had to do with the magazines. Now Remington must have thought so too, because they upgraded their magazines...TWICE! ...but still could not fix the problems and eventually discontinued the model. :(
More recently, someone on here suggested I try changing out the extractor to a Volquartsen. SURPRISE! It worked. Today, I went out to Fernley, west into the hills and shot my Remmie. It worked great. I only had two FTF, prob because of my not loading the mag properly and when I reloaded those two rounds separately they worked just fine.
So the Volquartsen extractor worked just fine. I look forward to many sessions in the future shooting what I once thought would be a lemon. :)
You're surprised my suggestion worked?!
That makes two of us!
I'm getting old and feeble minded, you just got lucky that I momentarily remembered anything useful.
Glad it's running fine for you, enjoy, they are good guns when well maintained.

.22WMR guns are a lot of fun! Love my Winchester 9422M! Never had a feed or ejector problem with any ammo, but it is a lever action with a tube mag and manual loading/ejection with the lever. There are a few good .22WMR rifles and handguns out there. It would be nice if .22WMR was still almost as cheap as .22LR instead of now costing as much as cheap .223...

Chesk out the Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22WMR 30 round pistol!

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/pmr30/

jim

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
.22WMR guns are a lot of fun! Love my Winchester 9422M! Never had a feed or ejector problem with any ammo, but it is a lever action with a tube mag and manual loading/ejection with the lever. There are a few good .22WMR rifles and handguns out there. It would be nice if .22WMR was still almost as cheap as .22LR instead of now costing as much as cheap .223...

Chesk out the Kel-Tec PMR-30 .22WMR 30 round pistol!

https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/pmr30/
Just inherited one of those as well. If I like it I'll probably pick up the cmr to go with it.