• Welcome to Nevada Shooters!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, buy and sell with in our popular Trading Post and more! Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
  • Attention mobile users! The Tapatalk integration is down until further notice. For the full mobile experience, please simply use your web browser on your mobile device to view the forum. Thank you!

Recommendations for a revolver for petite woman

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
One of my wife's co-workers wants to get a gun for home defense . She has very little experience with firearms, is tiny (maybe 5ft. and under 100lbs. with tiny hands).

I've tried to steer her towards a revolver, as they have a shorter learning curve than an autoloader. She tried my snubnose .38 and had a lot of difficulty with the double-action trigger pull (~9lbs.), some of it attributable to the large grip I put on it,

Next time, I'll let her try my S&W Model 15 as CCW is not a factor at this time. I think a 686 is going to be too heavy for her.

Who else makes a wheel gun with a good DA trigger?

mbogo

Gullwing

1911 pistolsmith
Maybe Ruger LCR in 22M for a revolver.

Also have her check out S&W Shield or Walther CCP (smaller 9mms) which might work well for her.

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
My girlfriend is 5' and 105#. She shoots a Glock 19 very well. It's all in the training. I know a lot of people contend that there's less to go wrong with a wheel gun, but you get 6 or so shots and then it's a (b****) to reload quickly. Again, comes down to training. But if you're going to get training anyway (which she should), then don't start with something that's ammo deficient and hard to reload.

Have her go fondle and hold every 9mm at the gun store and pick the one that's the most comfortable in her hands. Personally, I'd recommend a striker fired gun with no thumb safety, for ease of use. No DA/SA or DAO guns with different trigger pulls. I'd want the most consistent thing she could find.

Once she picks the gun, she can find the guy on Backpage that will give you a free cert to go take a Front Sight class for free. A few people on here have offered the same. If she wants to pay, and go for a shorter class, Chuck Burnett at Invictus Training offers the women only beginner class here and there. It's a good class, and what I had my GF cut her teeth on before going to Front Sight.

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
The problem with .22WMR is they are very loud and emit a big fireball (my Single-Six was loud as hell and my PMR-30 is even louder). The .38Spl. is much easier for a tyro to deal with.

She isn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader, and she doesn't have the grip strength to manipulate the slide on a striker-fired pistol (she has tried on some of mine).

mbogo

titanNV

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Whatever Gullwing shoots is perfect for a woman with small hands... :D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My wife is around 5'-4" 115lbs, but has tiny hands (everything looks huge in her hands, like uh, her engagement ring).

She shoots a S&W Model 66 w/4" barrel, loaded with wadcutters. She has a revolver because she doesn't like complicated mechanical devices. Wadcutters have soft recoil but are still effective self-defense rounds. She also practices with the Winchester "W" Train and Defend ammo.

She prefers the 66 to the 686 because the full underlug of the 686 puts too much weight out towards the muzzle, and becomes tiring to hold after an hour at the range.

vegasdom

Pest Control Operator
Have her go fondle and hold every 9mm at the gun store and pick the one that's the most comfortable in her hands. Personally, I'd recommend a striker fired gun with no thumb safety, for ease of use. No DA/SA or DAO guns with different trigger pulls. I'd want the most consistent thing she could find.
Disagree. Pick the gun for her. This is how my wife ended up with a Kimber 380 that is back at kimber AND she could not hit anything with it including when qualifying for CCW. Had no problems with a Sig P320. I say go Glock 19 or something similar.

SeegarSmoker

Prefers Wheelguns
Who else makes a wheel gun with a good DA trigger?
Last summer I shot a Ruger LCR .38 that belongs to a gal I know. I was actually surprised at the trigger weight and smoothness. Compared pretty favorably to my J frames, and I've done some work on those.

The problem with .22WMR is they are very loud and emit a big fireball (my Single-Six was loud as hell and my PMR-30 is even louder). The .38Spl. is much easier for a tyro to deal with.

She isn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader, and she doesn't have the grip strength to manipulate the slide on a striker-fired pistol (she has tried on some of mine).

mbogo
I would go with a 357 and use 38 ammo, I like the heavier frames, takes more of the recoil out of it, but that's me, and my snubbie is rather old. So any details on trigger wouldnt be accurate to something new. Maybe try her with a sig 320. If she doesn't like the double action trigger pull on a revolver, time to try something else, even if she won't spend much time on it, just find something with a lot of idiot proofing. And as much as I like Glocks, and think Glock 19/23 is pretty much a standard most should have, the whole pull the trigger to break it down, may lead to a ND, but then again, will she ever even brake it Down? Get a slide rocker to help her work the slide (also again, Glock's factory cuts are inadequate) &/or a lighter recoil spring. Just my thoughts.

Glockstore just posted a video about this on YouTube, you might want to check it out.

Don't listen to these knuckleheads and get her any sort of auto. Odds are she will never go and shoot it after the first time. She just needs something that she can pick up and pull the trigger, therefore your original thought of a revolver is fine.

If she starts shooting it regularly then she will then figure out what she likes on her own like the rest of us. But for most woman who do not have husbands who shoot, a gun is a semi-pointless tool. It will sit in a drawer, if it's ever needed she will not remember the safety, or which "button" is the safety. If it's an auto she will probably not have a round chambered and therefore render it useless after she either forgets to rack it or short strokes the handgun she owns but is completely unfamiliar with.

mbogo
I don't think noise or fireball much matters, at the range you wear hearing protection and fireballs are fun. The slight chance that she actually uses it for self-defense, one of the body's physiological responses is to divert blood from your ears.

Don't listen to these knuckleheads and get her any sort of auto. Odds are she will never go and shoot it after the first time. She just needs something that she can pick up and pull the trigger, therefore your original thought of a revolver is fine.
But he said she doesn't have the strength to pull the double action trigger pull on a revolver. I like revolvers, think they are great, but if you can't pull the trigger, what good is any gun? There are however inexpensive accessories to overcome her issues with autos.

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
jmano,s
That's what I was thinking.

A DA/SA revolver is damned near idiot proof. The trick will be finding one with a DA trigger pull she can manage. I'll give her snap caps and try to inculcate safe dry-firing practices.

Teresa,
She couldn't pull the slide back on an uncocked Glock 23 or a Springfield XDS. She can rack the slide on a SiG 938, and 1911s only IF the hammer is locked back first. She had a couple of unintentional double-taps with the autoloaders, and I have concerns about her limp-wristing a Tupperware gun

mbogo

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Sounds like she needs pepper spray and a bible (to pray they don't get her). If she's not going to train with it, she probably shouldn't have anything. This is home defense only, right? Maybe she could run a pump shotgun easier? 410ga or 20ga pump?

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
Keith,

I didn't say she wouldn't get training. I said she wasn't going to spend the time and money to get proficient with an autoloader.

She's originally from NYC and was never around guns. Her personal exposure to firearms has been through my wife and me and I am reasonably certain that she's not interested in a shotgun (even in .410).

mbogo

STV_Keith

Obsessed Member
Big dog then? Seriously, if she is willing to train, I'm still against the ammo deficient revolver. Just can't guarantee 6-8 shots is all she'll need. 3-4 intruders...better be a damn good shot to get everyone stopped with what's in a revolver. I guess anything is better than nothing.

mbogo

Bwana Mkubwa
No dog, she has :cursing: cats. :nonod:

I am taking the 'baby steps' approach.

• Take her shooting a few times.
  • Have her get her own gun.
  • Have her get comfortable and competent with it.
  • Suggest something 'better' when SHE asks.

mbogo

jmano,s
That's what I was thinking.

A DA/SA revolver is damned near idiot proof. The trick will be finding one with a DA trigger pull she can manage. I'll give her snap caps and try to inculcate safe dry-firing practices.

Teresa,
She couldn't pull the slide back on an uncocked Glock 23 or a Springfield XDS. She can rack the slide on a SiG 938, and 1911s only IF the hammer is locked back first. She had a couple of unintentional double-taps with the autoloaders, and I have concerns about her limp-wristing a Tupperware gun

mbogo
Again, recoil spring, slide rocker are temporary and cheap adjustments, as well as working on proper slack racking techniques. I think it's u that has decided that a 'Tupperware' gun isn't for her. And if she can't rack as slide with those mods, I think she needs to go to the gym for a couple months and use pepper spray in the mean time. I've met very few non-elderly women that can't rack a slide with a little work. Also my dad's wise words when I was a kid "if you can't do it correctly, you cant do it all." Seems to point me in direction that this isn't for her, or she needs someone to teach her correctly.

BTW, I put my life in the hands of a 'Tupperware' gun everyday.

My sister is 66 and my niece (her daughter) is 38, neither one can rack the slide on a Glock, much less my Beretta. Both ended up using an old .32 revolver to qualify for their CCW.
My niece turned hers in to Metro it took 110 days to get back, my sister isn't going to bother getting her CCW after all.