• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Recommendations on Selling My Gun Collection

I am considering selling my gun collection as I am getting older and I am concerned about Bidens "common sense" gun control crap. It is not fun anymore to own guns for me with all the politics. Time to get out.

My question is what gun shop or who in the Las Vegas area is a good and honest place to sell my guns on consignment or buy the entire collection, including ammo and magazines and spare parts?
I think you can outlast Biden .... it is only 4yrs ...no?

Good To Go

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I know it seems like a lot of work to take pictures and post on this site. I would suggest to ask someone on this site for help to sell all of your stuff.
You will not get much selling to FFL and consignment will take awhile. It is a sellers market so you should do well on this site.
If you put fair prices they will sell fast.
Steve

@OP.
I was in your situation about two years ago..... was in hobby hump and wanted to liquidate my collection.... asked around town about consignment. Was quoted 15-20% fees...

Glad I kept my stuff....and so will you IMHO.

NV2A

How many guns are you considering. As for consignment there is always limited space an FFL has for consignment and they will take 15-25%, depending on the shop. Also if you have unique items you will have limited exposure with foot traffic into that one shop. It would be better to try to sell here or on gunbroker. You can get completed sales info on gunbroker but you have to be registered to do that advanced search. Selling on your own might be more effort but you will get significantly more money for your collection.

Jethro

Forum Supporter
2021 Supporter
While highly unlikely, keep in mind that to do consignment you first have to transfer the guns to the FFL and they become part of there inventory. If the business were to go under creditors would have first dibs on assets and you could be SOL. I believe if you change your mind and want the consigned guns returned you would also have to go through the transfer process as technically they are no longer yours. I believe NFA charges 20%, if you can find a gun store with an account on Gunbroker and excellent feedback if you request that they list there i think you'd make much more than restricting yourself to Las Vegas. As mentioned before, selling on here can be a little intimidating if you've never done it before but it's actually very simple. Good luck with whatever route you choose.

While highly unlikely, keep in mind that to do consignment you first have to transfer the guns to the FFL and they become part of there inventory. If the business were to go under creditors would have first dibs on assets and you could be SOL. I believe if you change your mind and want the consigned guns returned you would also have to go through the transfer process as technically they are no longer yours. I believe NFA charges 20%, if you can find a gun store with an account on Gunbroker and excellent feedback if you request that they list there i think you'd make much more than restricting yourself to Las Vegas. As mentioned before, selling on here can be a little intimidating if you've never done it before but it's actually very simple. Good luck with whatever route you choose.
I have decided I will try selling one of my rifles on Nevada Shooters to get the experience.

Thanks for bringing up good points about the risk of consignment sales through a gun shop. I actually learned something.

Bonez

I have decided I will try selling one of my rifles on Nevada Shooters to get the experience.
I think this is a solid choice, while I hate to see you (or anyone) getting out of the hobby, I think many of us are having similar fears & uncertainty about the new administration. There are a lot of good people here so don't hesitate to ask for help.

You might consider starting with something you know will easily sell here - there are more than a few of us interested in the Knights Armament AR-15's

Good To Go

Summerlin
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I think it would be great for the gun community if you sell them on this site. If you want to make the most money go with Gunbroker.
Gunbroker is very easy and they will sell fast.
I have sold many guns on GB and never had a problem.

USNGoat

Just another dude...
I'd be interested in your PSL if you decide to sell. I mean honestly, I'd be interested in the SKS and the HK91 as well, but it all depends on pricing.

As others mentioned, its going to be best to sell on here and choose one FFL to meet people at for transfers. Easiest for everybody, best prices for you, for the buyers, etc.

It looks like a number of folks have offered to help you, you should be in good hands. Most of the long standing members here are solid people and are always willing to help out :)

I will soon be in the same position (if 5 years is soon). My son that was to get all of them passed away a little over 2 years ago and my daughters have no interest other than a single pistol each. So I will start to look at them, try to figure out a fair price and sell them in a gentlemanly manner when the time comes. My wife and I are thinking of selling all that doesn't matter in the 5 years or so and trade our toy hauler in on a nice diesel pusher and live out our days here and there.

bob

I will soon be in the same position (if 5 years is soon). My son that was to get all of them passed away a little over 2 years ago and my daughters have no interest other than a single pistol each. So I will start to look at them, try to figure out a fair price and sell them in a gentlemanly manner when the time comes. My wife and I are thinking of selling all that doesn't matter in the 5 years or so and trade our toy hauler in on a nice diesel pusher and live out our days here and there.

bob
I am sorry to hear that. I lost a son to a heroin overdose 17 years ago. I have another son. But he doesn't seem interested. I think the writing is on the wall for the 2nd amendment. We grew up in a different world. That world is fading away.

Last edited:
Yes. I am an O Scale Railroad modeler too. The wife says if I should pass the guns, trains and my Corvette are going to get dumped. Well at least I have enjoyed the ride. He who dies with the most toys wins

I will probably try selling one rifle here on Nevada Shooters to see how it works.

The guns I am considering selling are all military type. HK91, Sig Sauer AR10, Knights Armament AR15's, PSL 64, Yugoslavia SKS, Mitchell Arms AK47, Benelli Super 90, Benelli M4, etc. All my rifles are scoped with Schmidt and Bender, Hensholdt, Leopold, Vortex, Zeiss, etc. In some cases the scope cost more than the rifle. Then I have ammo, magazines, and spare parts for some of these rifles I would sell also. These rifles all are targeted by Biden. I want to get out before he cracks down.

Here's my advice as an experienced buyer/seller of many things. I use gunbroker & ebay, but it sounds like you are not setup to sell that way, and it is a bit of a learning curve.

This is a great time to be selling guns and ammo. Demand is sky high, and prices are inflated. You may be surprised what you can get.

First sell everything separately. You will make more money. Package deals are good for buyers.

Assuming you want to get maximum $ for everything, I would do consignments with a gun store. They will be thrilled to get some inventory, and they won't be afraid to get top dollar for your stuff. Consider if you were to sell on gunbroker, they take a cut too, and you have to deal with the hassle of packaging, shipping, and hoping it makes it to the buyer intact.

If you try to list stuff here for today's inflated prices, you will be likely be labeled a profiteer.

First most important step:
Make a spreadsheet with your inventory and a market value as determined by looking at gunbroker recent sales, not what sellers are dreaming of prices, but actual closed sales. Don't waste your time looking at the old "bluebook of gun values". Gunbroker is the new bluebook. You may be surprised how your investment has appreciated.

Once you have the spreadsheet, you will be prepared if someone offers you X dollars for the HK91. You can decide if you want to cut someone a break or get max $.

Rob