• Become a Nevada Shooters Forum Supporter!
    Click HERE for details!

Reno Peavine Target Shooters: 3 Houses Hit By 223 Rounds

I live in a housing development between Red Rock and Stead Blvd. The sound of gunfire is pretty common coming from Mt. Peavine on the weekends. Last month my next door neighbor's house and 2 houses behind his were hit by a single 223 round each. No casualties just property damage. Police reports were taken. We surmise it came from "somewhere up Peavine".
A friend of mine, who is a retired RPD officer, thinks it may have come from the freeway (395) which is close by. Part of me wants to go the BLM and engage in "shut her down" conversation. The other part of me balks at that because I don't want to play in the hands of the anti-gun crowd. Even though there are no "No Shooting" signs posted up there, the prominent shooting spots don't meet the Washoe County guidelines. What are your thoughts?

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagon Collector
Obviously the stupid "congested area" (poop) doesnt mean anything to ALOT of people. I live in Golden Valley and am bordered by BLM. People think if they cant se a house they can shoot. Trouble is, law requires you to be 5000 feet from a house AS WELL AS being in an area that isnt prohibited.

I spend alot of time in my yard, and especially in the summer months there are TONS of times when I hear gunshots that are WAY closer than 5000'. I report it when I know they are shooting just up the road from me for a few reasons.

1. Because like it or not, thems the rules. If i have to abide by the rules (which I do) so does everybody else.

2. I live right there. When I hear sharp reports from a rifle or pistol, you are too damn close. Maybe you're shooting in a responsible direction, but given by the fact that you take no hed to local law, im gonna assume the opposite.

3. Fires. It DOES NOT feel good to watch a bunch of BLM tankers and fire crews drive past your house on their way into the public land directly behind you that you know is full if numbnuts shooting on a 100* day in knee high cheat grass. I should go out and take pics of the burned areas less than a mile from my house.

For those not familiar with distances...the law is "1 mile", not 5000 feet. I only mention that because there are people who don't know the diff between 5000 feet and 50000 feet (Nancy Pelosi, perhaps?).

Curious why the OP does not seem to consider the retired LEO opinion that it came from the freeway. Unfortunately, shooting from, or near, a freeway is very common in metro areas.

The reason why I'm not too much in favor of the freeway shooting scenario is that the houses that were hit are pretty much in a straight line indicating a stationary shooter. If one was shooting from a traveling vehicle, the houses hit from that scenario would be spread down the street over a large number of feet/yards.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
I’m not feeling like I have enough info to decide on a course of action. If you’re saying the shots came from Peavine but also could have come from the freeway, I’m that as all homes involved are on the east side of the freeway? If so, that’s seems like a fairly incredible distance to fling a .223 into three different doors (from beyond the houses on the west side of the freeway, I mean). Almost smells of something specifically targetted.

I think the BLM would likely refer you back to county or even Forest Service based on past things I’ve read. There was a super active group on fb in the past working to get shooters kicked off of Peavine, and they gained some traction with the county and sheriff’s office. Maybe the sheriff has slacked off in enforcement on Peavine in recent days. I hate to suggest doing nothing, but I’d also hate to see the county come down with some new anti-shooting measures too. Tough call for me.

Cirdan

Very Active Member
Carson City also closed it's range during the week. It's only open on weekends with a range master. Some moron(s) were shooting over the hill (backstop) with rounds impacting over at the dump.

You have to be either a) a REALLY bad shot or b) incredible stupid to shoot over the top of the hill that backstops the range there.

Carson City also closed it's range during the week. It's only open on weekends with a range master. Some moron(s) were shooting over the hill (backstop) with rounds impacting over at the dump.

You have to be either a) a REALLY bad shot or b) incredible stupid to shoot over the top of the hill that backstops the range there.
For those who don't know, the top of the hill at the Carson range is pretty high. I would say would have to angle your rifle at least 30 degrees elevation just to aim at the top. And, the crest of the hill is probably about 600 yards from the tables...hard to make a mistake, repeatedly. The real shame is that shooters could go out there any time and shoot targets. A lot of people have weekend schedules that don't have time for shooting. Now, that is the only time one can shoot there. It only takes one azzhat to screw it up for everyone. I wish they had mounted motion-detection cameras so they could tie the times the shots came over the hill to the people who were there.

Last Friday, a few days before I started this thread, I did take a drive up Peavine to scrounge some brass. To my surprise, there was a WCSO vehicle parked alongside the main access road. The deputy was inside. No shooting was heard at the time. I thought about stopping and starting a conversation about the shootings but didn't. Sometimes LEO's don't want to engage in conversation with the public.

And yes...the homes are on the east side of the freeway.

Last edited:

tdyoung58

Forum Supporter
It's only going to get worse as more and more complexes get built ... Luckily I know some places out in the middle of nowhere ... most 4x4 Rambo's don't dare go cuz they might get dirty