• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

RPR vs Howa Bravo vs LRR

I’m getting into the long range plinking and I see the Ruger Precision Rifle, the Howa Bravo 1500, and the Thompson LRR all at similar price points. Does anyone have experience or preferences with one over the other?

I’m leaning to the Howa Bravo or RPR, but really with no personal experience with these I’m may just see which one has the best Black Friday deal.

Chaos

I have had the RPR for 2.5 years and put 5000 rounds through it. On my second barrel. .5 to .75 MOA and enough adjustment to fit anybody. It is a great Precision Rifle and there are a lot of upgrades out there if something is not exactly how you like it.

I just got a Howa KRG Bravo that uses the Howa 1500 action and am absolutely in love with it. Sub MOA all day with factory ammo. If you go this route I suggest getting the Howa Bravo so you can take advantage of the KRG chassis, its pretty awesome. Am shooting relatively cheap hornady american gunner factory ammo and making consistent hits at 1100yds. I also own a RPR but its a .223 caliber that I bought as a “trainer” it also a very solid rifle.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I’m getting into the long range plinking and I see the Ruger Precision Rifle, the Howa Bravo 1500, and the Thompson LRR all at similar price points. Does anyone have experience or preferences with one over the other?

I’m leaning to the Howa Bravo or RPR, but really with no personal experience with these I’m may just see which one has the best Black Friday deal.
What did you decide?

I got the RPR in 6.5 CM. I was going to get the Howa but I found some really good deals on Gun Broker. I put a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 on it and a BT10 Atlas bipod on it. I’ve been pretty happy with the gun and the set up.

I got the RPR in 6.5 CM. I was going to get the Howa but I found some really good deals on Gun Broker. I put a Vortex Viper PST gen 2 on it and a BT10 Atlas bipod on it. I’ve been pretty happy with the gun and the set up.
I got a RPR chambered in 5.56 and I love that rifle. Solid guns. 7DCE1A16-050D-459D-91FA-171ACBC6DB37.jpeg

I sent my rifle back to Ruger this week. neither of the Magpul magazines would lock into the receiver. They would fall out while shooting and wouldn’t always strip the next round from the magazine if I wasn’t pushing up on the magazine while running the bolt. Hopefully the gun comes back soon because it is pretty fun to shoot.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
Don't know if it's related, but my Ruger GSR uses AICS style magazines, as does my Savage 10 GRS. The Savage will work with both the AI and the Magpul brand AICS mags, but will not work with the Ruger brand mags; the bolt just goes right over the top. The Ruger works with all of them. Weird.

I got my RPR back from Ruger. They said the magazine latch was missing a pin. I imagine it was left out when they disassembled the gun for the Cerakote. Anyways, it’s fixed. I took it out shooting today and no issues. I’m happy.