• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ruby Deer....just does.

lasvegasharley

Bearer of arms
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Nice food for your family and great memories made there.

Do have anything to report about the terminal balistics of the projectile used in this hunt?

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Nice food for your family and great memories made there.

Do have anything to report about the terminal balistics of the projectile used in this hunt?
We both shot ours with my old Rem 788 in .308. My buddy's handloads with Speer Spitzers, 150GR always perform great.

Last edited:

gixxer760

Domestic Terrorist aka pa
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
leaving Saturday so excited to get out and hopefully harvest my first, wish i was leaving earlier but want to get my early vote in prior to leaving. Was there water in the creeks up there right now im taking 10 gallons and hopefully filtering any more that i need for 2 people and a pup.

jfrey123

I aim to misbehave...
Staff member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Awesome! I drew a tag out there but didn’t manage to get my (poop) together to make the trip happen. I’m a newb to hunting.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
leaving Saturday so excited to get out and hopefully harvest my first, wish i was leaving earlier but want to get my early vote in prior to leaving. Was there water in the creeks up there right now im taking 10 gallons and hopefully filtering any more that i need for 2 people and a pup.
All the creeks up there are fed by springs and despite the drought, were running stronger than usual considering no snow melt.

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Awesome pics, Fogie! Those does sure look healthy. The drought hasn't impacted them too much it seems. My son has an Area 22 tag so we can't wait to get out there.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Awesome pics, Fogie! Those does sure look healthy. The drought hasn't impacted them too much it seems. My son has an Area 22 tag so we can't wait to get out there.
yep..hers was a monster, never saw so much fat on one. Good luck!

HomeSkillet

Outdoors for the win
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
yep..hers was a monster, never saw so much fat on one. Good luck!
Thank you! You know, in looking at the field dressing pic, I never thought to open a doe up past the sternum. I'm so used to stopping there and then reaching up and slicing the trachea. I can clearly see the trachea in the pic. Much cleaner :)

Is that a gut pile from your doe in the background? Also, in your pic, looks like a solid double-lung shot. Nice!

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Thank you! You know, in looking at the field dressing pic, I never thought to open a doe up past the sternum. I'm so used to stopping there and then reaching up and slicing the trachea. I can clearly see the trachea in the pic. Much cleaner :)

Is that a gut pile from your doe in the background? Also, in your pic, looks like a solid double-lung shot. Nice!
My Pop taught me to open em' from chin to splitting the pelvis..everybody does it a little different. We left seven piles and rib cages under the tree. I always use that tree and next year all is gone.

Fogie

Swimming Pool Monkey
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter