• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Ruger 5.7 pistol announced

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
Caught this announcement this morning:

https://ruger.com/products/ruger57/models.html

Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc. (NYSE: RGR) is thrilled to introduce a cutting-edge new platform – the Ruger-57™ pistol. The Ruger-57 is a full-featured handgun wrapped around a standard capacity, 20-round steel magazine, chambered in the high performance and low-recoiling 5.7x28mm caliber.

The most touted feature of this new pistol is its impressive ergonomics. The slender steel magazine is surrounded by a glass-filled nylon frame featuring an optimized texture, making for a natural and ergonomic grip. Despite the longer cartridges, the trigger reach is no longer than many common 9mm Luger handguns. All of the controls are easily accessible, like the 1911-style ambidextrous manual safety, robust slide release and the reversible magazine latch.

The flat-shooting 5.7x28mm cartridge is recognized for its superior ballistic performance. The lighter weight projectiles have significantly less felt recoil than 9mm Luger, allowing quicker sight reacquisition.

Rounding out the package is a windage and elevation adjustable, serrated rear sight and rapid acquisition fiber optic front sight for fast, accurate shooting; Picatinny-style accessory rail; and Secure Action™ fire control which combines Ruger’s reliable and proven internal hammer with a short, crisp trigger pull and a positive reset. To top it off, the slide is drilled and tapped for easy mounting of optics with a separately available optic adapter plate, available at ShopRuger.com.

“The Ruger-57 is destined to become one of America’s favorite handguns,” said Ruger President and CEO Chris Killoy. “This pistol is soft shooting, accurate, powerful and just plain fun to shoot.”

The through-hardened, billet steel slide with lightening cuts features enhanced front and rear cocking serrations. The steel barrel features a black nitride treatment for wear resistance, and the fire control housing is precision CNC-machined from anodized aluminum. The pistol is 8.65″ long and weighs 24.5 ounces. It ships in a lockable hard case and includes two, 20-round steel magazines (10-round, state-compliant model also available).

For more information on the Ruger-57 or to learn more about the extensive line of award-winning Ruger firearms, visit Ruger.com or Facebook.com/Ruger. To find accessories for the Ruger-57 and other Ruger firearms, visit ShopRuger.com or your local independent retailer of Ruger firearms.

Janizary

Geth Prime
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'll admit it has my curiosity piqued.

Of course, now that trading is going to be a giant PITA my curiosity may need to learn some restraint.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Commercial Sponsor
I was trying to figure out what made it significantly different than the FN Five-seveN. Then I saw the MSRP of $800, versus the FN's $1500. Good job, Ruger.

I was trying to figure out what made it significantly different than the FN Five-seveN. Then I saw the MSRP of $800, versus the FN's $1500. Good job, Ruger.

Yep.

And Ruger's are typically good quality firearms, IMO.

Would expect once it's been out for a year that the "street price" will be closer to $650 for a new one.

New FN Five-Seven's rarely sell for under $1100, with a lot of dealers asking for $1300.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Great to see. Now let’s get a Ruger American rifle, hopefully a takedown, in 5.7x28. Maybe even a Rotary magazine to boot?

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
Oh, I'd definitely add one of those to my collection if they made one.
Exactly. The ps90 (or better yet an SBR ps90) is a great PDW for its intended purpose, but as a varmint hunting rifle or a survival type rifle if leaves a lot to be desired. Make an American rifle in 5.7x28 at the same size and form as the 22mag rifle? I’m totally down with that.

I'm a fan of most things RUGER but hey, see that rifle in my avatar? It's a 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator that I put a Timmy trigger and Boyd's stock on. I SOLD that sucker after losing 2 cartridges while hunting when the bolt caught on brush and opened W/O me knowing it happened.
RUGER Customer Service said "Threre's nothing wrong with the rifle. That's the way we designed it." Well the he!! there isn't something wrong with it.
P7312026.jpg Now I have a 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro and that bolt DOES lock when on safe. Plus it STAYS ob safe when I open the bolt by pressing a button at the root of the bolt. Clever.

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
I'm interested enough to go by Ruger's booth at SHOT and have a look at it. Like others, I haven't been impressed by Ruger's semi-auto offerings in the past. Think I'll let the early adopters beta test it for me no matter how good it looks.

From all the YouTube videos I've seen of the RUGER 57 I'm mush more impressed with the 57 than the FN Five seveN, which I have handled.
So from that standpoint I'll order one in a few months when the supply goes up and prices come down.

Eric B.