Ruger American; Savage 64; Savage B22; Savage MKII...

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Forum Supporter
For plinking suppressed; which would an adult be happiest with?

Savage MKII threaded about $270;
Savage 64 Threaded around $225;
Savage B22 Threaded around $315;
Ruger American Rimfire Threaded around $320.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Forum Supporter
Pretty awesome!

I went ahead an ordered a couple of the Ruger American Rimfire with threaded barrels - one in 22LR the other 22MAG - those rock chucks won't see or hear it coming!

I like the way Ruger stole the accutrigger design. Looks like the free floated the barrel too. I'll have no excuse for missing, except - I can blame it on the ammo!

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Few will be able to make comparisons from experience. In my case, I went with a pair of Savage Mk II rifles. I have a long bull barrel model, and the short threaded barrel model for my Gemtech Outback IID suppressor.

The long one has a cheap something-32X BSA scope to qualify for the Thrifty Benchrest Match at Desert Sportsman's, and the suppressed one has a compact Leupold 2-7X for field use. I also used the latter to win a small NRA rimfire match that Revere's Riders did a few years ago.

So, I can't tell you anything about the other rifles on the list, but I'm happy with my Savages. The magazines aren't the best, but no one seems to be able to match Ruger on those. Mine all still work (the original pair of 5-rounders, and a pair of 10-rounders that I bought) but I've had to tweak the ears on two of them to fix them even though I don't know how they got bent as these aren't mags that I drop like in USPSA.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Forum Supporter
I did get to shoot both, with a 30 cal suppressor. Of course that suppressor is heavy and so the rifles are relagated to bench shooting with that heavy suppressor attached.
The trigger is amazing on these, and both are so accurate that I was punching the same hole, albeit the edge of the hole, multiple times with plinking ammo. Not bad!