• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

SA HELLCAT INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

terdog

uber Member
Friday was my last day as I'd given my 2 wks notice. Went out on my terms and felt good. I was feelin a sense of relief as we are moving to Idaho and this was my weekend to relax before stressin out about the move.

Saturday, the GF and I were in Carson City runnin errands, and I wanted to stop in at Sportsmans and just look around.
Initially I was lookin for a 9 mm AR pistol. The guy behind the counter was a real personable guy, and we started chatting. The conversation drifts to the new S.A. HELLCAT.

Now, I'd seen it in the mags, but it hadn't done much for me.
I have a KIMBER MICRO 9 CLG that is my everyday carry. Its been a great gun, dependable and I can hit 6" steel from 20 yds all day long, so it does the job.

He hands it to me.
Ya know, theres never been a gun that I refuse to put in my hand ...

So I put her in my hand and ... WOW. :eek:

First, hard to believe that she packs 13 rnds. It looks like a single stack. Thats my issue with the Kimber. I just don't like how single stacks feel in my hand. The HELLCAT just fits my hand.
The sights are fantastic (for me). Trueglow front and a great white U in the rear. My eyes fall right to them.
I'm startin to like this thang.
Lets try the trigger. OMG! That has to be the best striker trigger I have ever felt. Very little travel, then breaks like glass.
The stippling is good, but could be a little bit more aggressive for my tastes. But good enough.

Hmmmmm. I wasn't planning on buying a pistol today, but ...

Wait, she comes with 2 mags - a 11 rnd & a 13 rnd. . .

I take a minute to see what they are going for on GunBroker. Sportsmans price is $499, about $40 more than GB.

DAMN! Looks like I'm buying a new gun today.

6hrs latter I'm in the box canyon runnin its 1st box through her.

She's not as "snappy" as the Kimber. She feels real good, leaving me with no regrets for bringing her into my realm.

Thoughts of selling the Kimber creep into my noggin as I head home.

TexasJackKin

Breathng Free, at last
Forum Supporter
2019 Supporter
2020 Supporter
I have several guns I’ve acquired under similar circumstances… Just looking, not really looking to buy, but… That’s happened with a Ruger MK IV Hunter, but that seems like a lot (to me) of money for a .22, coupled with the fact, I have no idea how many .22 I already own, so I need one like I need another hole in my head…. We all know how this is going to end… I was able to leave the store without it (for once) but like a moth to the flame…

I have several guns I’ve acquired under similar circumstances… Just looking, not really looking to buy, but… That’s happened with a Ruger MK IV Hunter, but that seems like a lot (to me) of money for a .22, coupled with the fact, I have no idea how many .22 I already own, so I need one like I need another hole in my head…. We all know how this is going to end… I was able to leave the store without it (for once) but like a moth to the flame…
Funny - I've got a Ruger Hunter I've been thinking about letting go. If you are ever down in Vegas and interested, perhaps I can help you out.

EDIT: the wife informed me that selling the Hunter is not an option. What can I say, I like ‘em both so I have to rescind on this ‘cause I spoke too soon and didn’t check in with the Warden first. Apologies & best of luck on your hunt(er)

Last edited:

terdog

uber Member
Great comparison, thanks.

IDK, maybe its me ... when I 1st picked up the P365, I couldn't put it down fast enough.

Then when I grabbed the HELLCAT... well, it was lust at 1st touch.

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
I carry a Kahr P9 for concealed carry , but I have been wanting something else. The 365 , 365XL , Hellcat (optic ready version) , and Glock 48 are the ones I am looking at.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Doesn't sound like one could go wrong with either. I've let about half a dozen folks, from beginners to LEO, women and men, shoot the P365; all of which loved the feel and soft shooting.
However, I have yet to feel up the Hellcat, nonetheless shoot it. Had the Hellcat hit the market a year or two ago, I'd likely be carrying it instead of the Sig.
Sounds like a great pistol!

terdog

uber Member
I too considered the OSP version.
But this was such an impulse buy and they didn't have the OSP.
I reached out to S.A. about getting the OSP slide and optic. they did respond quickly, but they do NOT offer individual slides.

Thats ok to me. I love my HELLCAT.

SL Dangerous

Zombies aren't real
Forum Supporter
Great to hear terdog. I'm expecting a call later today to go pick mine up at the Las Vegas Sportsman's. I got the OSP version even though I doubt I'll ever put an optic on it. 30 bucks more for the option was worth it for me though.

MP15Reloader

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
Great comparison, thanks.

IDK, maybe its me ... when I 1st picked up the P365, I couldn't put it down fast enough.

Then when I grabbed the HELLCAT... well, it was lust at 1st touch.
I too dislike the 365 and the 320. Not out of some stupid belief about sigs needing to stay with hammer fired, but I just couldn’t get over the feel and they seem exceptionally too heavy, more so than glock. They aren’t bad pistols, just not for my liking. I just saw hickok45 talking about the hellcat last night on a video. Gotta look more into it

JTW_Jr

WheelGunner
Curious which glock you are comparing the 365 too for the weight difference , the 43 is the the only one similar in weight, but it holds 4 less rounds.

4x4Brit

Worktruck Driver
I wandered into Henderson Sportsmans today on the off chance they had one. Negative but the gent at the counter said they have been getting a steady flow of them. You can order online but I’d like to put one in hand first. With it’s capacity, very hard to ignore.

terdog

uber Member
Does it bother anyone else that SA makes all their striker guns in Croatia? I find it hard to believe that they couldn't be made in the USA and make a profit.