SBR vs. Pistols

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts are regarding SBR vs Pistols. I've got a few SBR's and have preferred them over "pistols." However, this weekend I was able to play around with an AR-15 that had an SBA3 "brace" and I'm starting to wonder if SBR's are still the preferred route. Some platforms work much better as an SBR (CZ scorpion, Scar, etc), but as far as AR's go I'm finding it hard to not be drawn to the pistol crowd. No tax stamp, no long wait times, and no transportation restrictions make it an attractive option. The only issue I see is the ATF reversing their decision regarding shouldering pistol braces, but I'm pretty sure that won't stop anyone from doing so. Thoughts?

I have a couple pistols an AR-15 .556 and Sig 716 in 7.62 both work very well. I have a good stamp collection and it is a pain when you move to a new house and worrying about carrying the paper for what ever items you have. So pistols are one less thing to worry about. If ATF ever decides to reverse their ruling then you can worry about making it a SBR or a rifle or doing a work around....

Grumpyoldretiredcop

uber Member
Forum Supporter
For most folks, an AR pistol is as good as a SBR, without the tax stamp worries. With collapsible braces having been approved by ATFE or more accurately, having been ruled as not creating an unstamped SBR when installed, there aren't many reasons to jump through the hoops for a stamp. Competitive shooting events don't usually allow them (at least IDPA doesn't) though.

I have an M92 PAP pistol.

Love it.

No interest in jumping through all the government hoops and red tape for an SBR. That's why I don't own any "silencers".

That and because if I had one I might be tempted to go commit silent murders, like in the movies, where the gun goes "thwip! thwip!" so stealthily and quietly you could assassinate a cat, in a room full of other cats, and none of them would even wake up.....

;)

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Has anyone, ever, been detained, cited, arrested, prosecuted, or convicted for taking their SBR across state lines without "permission?" I've never filed that paperwork and never will.

I have an AR Pistol. With a Maxim Brace. Love it but always worry about NFA changes. I know they reversed the stance on if it changes it to an NFA item. But they left the shouldering pretty grey and could be interpreted many ways. Of course I have never heard of anyone having issues. But never know If I am going to the range and some jackass may give me issues. I personally decided the better thing for me to do was to just SBR a lower that I use locally. If I want to take it across state line I just swap out the lowers.

CaptKurt

Those who dare, win!
Forum Supporter
I thought that I would hate the idea of an AR pistol and was wishy-washy on the idea of an SBR. I put together a 10" AR9, and honestly I love it. Partially its the PCC part that I most like, but its small, fairly light and honestly fits everything I'd want to do with a short AR.

Now, I cannot honestly imagine doing an SBR, though I have a couple more ideas for AR pistols....8" 300AAC and 4.5" .22LR. Just seems like everything is easier when its considered a pistol.

stitch702

Recovering Gunaholic
Forum Supporter
I hated the idea of an AR pistol. To be honest I wasn’t a fan of the sb braces, shockwave braces, and thorsden tubes. However with the advent of the SBA3 and PDW braces I think it’s become a no brainer. The SBA3 brace has been a real game changer for me. The only way I would sbr is if I’m building sopmod block clones or if the firearm itself handled better as an sbr i.e. scar16, krink clone, slr106ur, etc.

Has anyone, ever, been detained, cited, arrested, prosecuted, or convicted for taking their SBR across state lines without "permission?" I've never filed that paperwork and never will.
Never heard of it. I asked and the agent was even unaware I needed the paperwork.

Never heard of it. I asked and the agent was even unaware I needed the paperwork.
They would never know unless you were stopped by law enforcement and the weapon was involved something. Although police are unaware of most violations of the law and it simply comes down to how unluky you are at getting caught or how well you obey the law... Personally I have way to much to lose to risk things like this.

To get back on track I actually like my Sig 716 pistol in .308 it shoots very well but, I have been thinking about installing a long muzzle brake and a stock sometimes.

AngryRed

Dumb Founded
Forum Supporter
I hated the idea of an AR pistol. To be honest I wasn’t a fan of the sb braces, shockwave braces, and thorsden tubes. However with the advent of the SBA3 and PDW braces I think it’s become a no brainer. The SBA3 brace has been a real game changer for me. The only way I would sbr is if I’m building sopmod block clones or if the firearm itself handled better as an sbr i.e. scar16, krink clone, slr106ur, etc.
Just looked into the SB braces, good suggestion as I'm thinking of building a pistol myself. I've got an 11" SBR which shoots nice with a shoulder stock, but I'm thinking going shorter for the pistol. Any feedback on the various pistol barrel lengths?

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I now have several pistols and "firearms" with either the new SB3 or KAK Gen 2 braces. IMHO they work every bit as well as a stock. I enjoy the fact the if I so choose to sell one, I do not have to jump through the hoops of the Class 3 process. Plus the $200.00 I save on no tax stamp buys a lot of ammo or accessories.

I'm not a competition shooter, so the problem of no pistols by the IDPA or any other game organization does effect me in the least. I just did an update on my carbine certification course for Security officers for the P.I.L.B. I have addressed the pistol issues in that course.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I have a couple pistols an AR-15 .556 and Sig 716 in 7.62 both work very well. I have a good stamp collection and it is a pain when you move to a new house and worrying about carrying the paper for what ever items you have. So pistols are one less thing to worry about. If ATF ever decides to reverse their ruling then you can worry about making it a SBR or a rifle or doing a work around....
I LOVE my P716!!!

Attachments

tdyoung58

NNLP 31st Batt
Forum Supporter
I have three AR pistols in 5.56, 300 Blackout and 9 metric.

I also have a 10.5" 5.56 SBR that requires 3 tax stamps for the receiver, barrel and can.

We rarely shoot the SBR but the 5.56 and 9 metric go out almost every weekend into the high desert