• Chat feature is now enabled for ALL USERS!

Selling NFA items

Thanks in advance.

So I have an NFA Trust and the trust owns a suppressor and two short barrel rifles. I will be relocating to an unfriendly gun state much to my displeasure and I wanted to know how the items can be sold. Or worse case scenario, can they be turned in to the ATF? Any advice will help. I hate do do this but family comes first.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Unless you KNOW your buyer, I recommend having an NFA dealer handle everything. Even if you know your buyer, you'd have to maintain possession of the item until he receives back his stamp, and you may not have that much time (6-12 months).

If any member of the trust is staying in a freedom-friendly state, they can take possession with no paperwork needed. You may want to look into just adding a trusted friend or family member to the trust, also.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
I have purchased a suppressor via private party here in NV. Paid half up front and half upon approval of my stamp. Original owner kept the can until approval of the stamp. He was a member here with multiple good transactions so I felt it was worth the risk.

Otherwise consignment or sale to a FFL here is the right answer.

Last edited:
Thanks in advance.

So I have an NFA Trust and the trust owns a suppressor and two short barrel rifles. I will be relocating to an unfriendly gun state much to my displeasure and I wanted to know how the items can be sold. Or worse case scenario, can they be turned in to the ATF? Any advice will help. I hate do do this but family comes first.
What state are you going to? The SBRs could be converted to pistols and removed from the NFA list and sold to whoever you want. You could actually add the buyer to your trust and they could take possession of an item until the stamp comes back. I would consider it if I had a stamp collector who was interested in my stuff.

What kind of can do you have and where do you live?

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
What state are you going to? The SBRs could be converted to pistols and removed from the NFA list and sold to whoever you want. You could actually add the buyer to your trust and they could take possession of an item until the stamp comes back. I would consider it if I had a stamp collector who was interested in my stuff.

What kind of can do you have and where do you live?
Slight nitpick — nothing ever gets removed from the NFA rolls. Also any SBR doesn’t need to be converted into a pistol, it may also be converted into a non-NFA rifle. Put a 16” upper on your registered lower and sell to your hearts content.

So many inaccuracies in these last couple of posts..... just sell/consign them to a NFA dealer and be done with it. There are several here in town that can help.

Kinoons

Obsessed Member
Forum Supporter
So many inaccuracies in these last couple of posts..... just sell/consign them to a NFA dealer and be done with it. There are several here in town that can help.
Things changed in the last few years?

I guess something can be removed from the registry however there is no need to do so.

Once an SBR is no longer in SBR config it is no longer under the control of the NFA. If you want to take your SBR across state lines without a permission slip just put a 16” barrel on it.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Wait_time___sbr_removal_from_nfa_registry/17-428901/

Last edited:
Maybe you could supply the law that makes them inaccurate?
My last three transfers were done without a class III dealer.

problem with selling/consigning to a dealer is you will lose money on the deal. I sent a message to elldog with more information. I also offered my help if he wanted it.