Shepherds Hook?

Jethro

Forum Supporter
I'm fairly new to the AK platform and I've been told that i should replace the Shepherds Hook with a trigger retainer plate, do you guys do this?
I realize anything can fail, Murphys Law and all, but have you ever seen this failure? I'll probably just get the Krebs and consider it insurance.

I've never seen a quality shepherds hook fail. None of my chinese rifles have ever had a failure.
To be fair, the Chinese retainer clip works differently than the one that the majority of other AKs use -- it is shaped and routed differently.

I don't replace it in any of my Chinese rifles, but the Arsenals and Saigas get the retainer plates.

Has any citizen ever been the target of a violation of this?
No, because nobody understands what this “law” is. It has NOTHING to do with “US parts”. It’s a prohibition against making a so called non-sporting rifle with IMPORTED parts. It prohibits an act, not a gun.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
LOL. The only thing I ever see it used for is marketing for selling US-made parts.

Yes, I understand the letter of the law, but I think this is one that is overrated because it's pushed by the people that make the parts.

That said, I know nothing about AKs except shooting my 1968 Sile, NY, original Norinco. I don't play with its parts. :D

Here's the ATF's take on it.
Clear and concise, thanks for sharing.
Other than the stupid “burden of proof” portion, this clearly states that there is no such thing as a “non-compliant non-sporting” rifle or shotgun. It’s the ACT of assembling such a weapon that is illegal.

MAC702

LEGEN...wait for it... DARY!
Forum Supporter
Wow. He basically says: build what you want, there's not much we could do about it, even if we wanted to.

Wow. He basically says: build what you want, there's not much we could do about it, even if we wanted to.
Not to mention the actual verbiage of the so called law specifies IMPORTED parts, not “US made” parts. Years ago there were a bunch of lend lease M1 Carbines imported from Europe. Guys were throwing on folding stocks etc thinking everything was cool because the guns were originally made domestically. They were still 100% imported parts. The ATF didn’t give 2 hoots.