Sig-P365

nschiff

Forum Supporter
Got out to the range with mine today. Put 100 rounds through (all I had the time, patience, and mag-loading finger-pain tolerance for...the mag did get noticeably easier to load after the first time, maybe the spring had to seat itself and spread the lube): 50 rounds Federal aluminum case 115g FMJ, 50 rounds 115g Gold Dot LE. No issues whatsoever; it went bang every time and cycled smoothly. The only issue I had is that it's hard for me to push the mag release hard enough to drop the mag without shifting my hand around quite a bit, but I do have relatively stubby fingers.

Primer strike drag was barely noticeable on the plinking ammo, a little more so on the hotter Gold Dots...might be interesting to know how many of the people with firing-pin issues were shooting +P, especially after the initial "bad batch" (not that that excuses it since it is rated +P, but still maybe a factor).

It shoots like a dream; points naturally, super easy to bring to bear on target and bring back after each shot. The trigger is amazing...WAY better than my PF-9 (to be expected from SA striker vs DAO internal hammer, but still) and better than anything else I own except my 1911 (and maybe the Walther P22QD firing SA). Recoil was not bad, even with the hotter loads (again, much better than the PF-9, even accounting for the weight difference). Overall just an amazing little gun, feels more like a full-size than a subcompact when you're shooting it. Overall completely satisfied and will carry it with confidence that it will hold up it's end of the bargain as long as I do my part (although I hope to never have to find out).

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Got out to the range with mine today. Put 100 rounds through (all I had the time, patience, and mag-loading finger-pain tolerance for...the mag did get noticeably easier to load after the first time, maybe the spring had to seat itself and spread the lube): 50 rounds Federal aluminum case 115g FMJ, 50 rounds 115g Gold Dot LE. No issues whatsoever; it went bang every time and cycled smoothly. The only issue I had is that it's hard for me to push the mag release hard enough to drop the mag without shifting my hand around quite a bit, but I do have relatively stubby fingers.

Primer strike drag was barely noticeable on the plinking ammo, a little more so on the hotter Gold Dots...might be interesting to know how many of the people with firing-pin issues were shooting +P, especially after the initial "bad batch" (not that that excuses it since it is rated +P, but still maybe a factor).

It shoots like a dream; points naturally, super easy to bring to bear on target and bring back after each shot. The trigger is amazing...WAY better than my PF-9 (to be expected from SA striker vs DAO internal hammer, but still) and better than anything else I own except my 1911 (and maybe the Walther P22QD firing SA). Recoil was not bad, even with the hotter loads (again, much better than the PF-9, even accounting for the weight difference). Overall just an amazing little gun, feels more like a full-size than a subcompact when you're shooting it. Overall completely satisfied and will carry it with confidence that it will hold up it's end of the bargain as long as I do my part (although I hope to never have to find out).

I've found loading those P365 mags to be a bit difficult as well. Arthritis in the hands doesn't help. I'd recommend investing in a Magula Uplula Mag Loader. I've found it's the best investment ever in loading mags. I can easily load in 500+ rounds in a range session. The only downside is you will have to increase your ammo budget as it's easy to go through a case of ammo.

After reading some of the reports on the firing pin issues some people have been experiencing, I placed an order for an aftermarket firing pin made by Lightening Strike Products. They have fabricated a non-MIM hardened steel firing pin with a hardness rating better than the OEM firing pin. Demand for them is so great that they advised me they are backordered one week. At $99 I figured that's cheap insurance to insure it goes bang.

The other issue some are experiencing is with the trigger bar spring breaking. MAC in his latest Vblog stated he found the defective springs were protruding into the mag well and causing an etching/mark on the back of the mags. I examined my mags and found no marks and upon examination of that spring, I saw nothing protruding into the mag well. I guess mine was assembled correctly. After I receive/install the new firing pin, I plan on cycling another 500 rounds before it goes into my EDC rotation.

I dunno, buying a high end weapon and then spending a hundred bucks to make it reliable.....is just me, or that not how it is supposed to work. I think the p365 may prove to be better as newer generations come along.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
I am not sure that extra $100 on the firing pin is necessary - or even an improvement. I mean, on paper, the metallurgy works out. MIM isn't known to be as reliable as a fabricated piece of steel. But, there isn't any evidence that the MIM part failed because it wasn't solid steel, is there? I get it though, spending an extra $100 on a $500 pistol still puts it as the only micro double stack 9mm on the market - at any price.

I wish my Kahr was as cheap when I bought it 10 years or so ago. I think it was $600-700 then I had to buy night sights for $100 and the tool to install them for another $100 - all for a 6rd 9mm that is nearly identical in size to this 10rd Sig bargain with factory night sights!! :cool:

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
I dunno, buying a high end weapon and then spending a hundred bucks to make it reliable.....is just me, or that not how it is supposed to work. I think the p365 may prove to be better as newer generations come along.
I totally agree....if I had waited for the "third" iteration of the P365, maybe they would have corrected all the problems. For those of us who bought the second release I recognize I have only so many options:

1. Dump it, take a major loss and move on.

2. Shoot it until it fails and keep sending it back.

3. Take proactive measures and replace the parts known to fail and make it work.

If the firing pin and trigger bar spring are the only significant issues, those are easy fixes. Time will tell.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
@5x10 from what I read on the Sig forums, they seem to try to correlate these heavy firing pin swipes with the eventual breakage of the pin. I can only hypothesize that if the primer strikes look normal, then maybe the firing pin is good to go (ie corrected).

I think mine has a May 2018 date (I need to confirm). Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but maybe I'll take pics of the primer strikes and post when I can.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
I forgot where I saw a video posting of someone who showed the firing pin swipe phenomena is not that uncommon and is seen in other brands of firearms. I was surprised to see that. From what I have seen/heard, everyone who owns a P365 is experiencing to some degree a firing pin swipe. My weapon exhibits a minor swipe, but not to the same extreme exhibited by others. If all I need to get this gun running 100% is a new firing pin and trigger spring, I'll do it.

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
Agreed.
Would like to see if that changes the swipe at all.
If you wouldn't mind taking before new firing pin and after new firing pin pics of case head/primer, it would be helpful.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Will do.

I also found the YouTube posting from the guy who demonstrated the firing pin swipe phenomena is not just exhibited by the Sig P365. Apparently the Shield and the Glock 43 have shown primer drag marks as well.

Last edited:

Sledge

stuck in the 80's
Shot 3 pistols the other day. One was the Sig. I'm sure you can guess which row it was. The little thing shoots great though. I've got 210 rds through it so far. The place I bought it from said it was a late May build. Hopefully they fixed whatever the problems they were having with them.
thumbnail (28).jpg

Ricci

uber Member
Forum Supporter
Shot 3 pistols the other day. One was the Sig. I'm sure you can guess which row it was. The little thing shoots great though. I've got 210 rds through it so far. The place I bought it from said it was a late May build. Hopefully they fixed whatever the problems they were having with them.
View attachment 31965
Took 4 out yesterday, Kimber micro 9, k6 revolver, CZ Tac sport, and of course my carry Shield 9. The micro and the shield both look like row 2 in your pic-some drag. The CZ perfect strikes. All using AE 124g and HST. Starting to believe drag is a characteristic more common in sub pistols with some obviously more pronounced like the 365. The Shield is vetted as far as I’m concerned approaching 1000 rounds of flawless function, the Kimber is new but heading out this morning to bring the round count up. It ran flawless with a few erratic ejections bouncing off the canopy and a few off of my Nevada Shooters cap. That I can fix if it keeps up past 500 rounds.

Sledge

stuck in the 80's
Took 4 out yesterday, Kimber micro 9, k6 revolver, CZ Tac sport, and of course my carry Shield 9. The micro and the shield both look like row 2 in your pic-some drag. The CZ perfect strikes. All using AE 124g and HST. Starting to believe drag is a characteristic more common in sub pistols with some obviously more pronounced like the 365. The Shield is vetted as far as I’m concerned approaching 1000 rounds of flawless function, the Kimber is new but heading out this morning to bring the round count up. It ran flawless with a few erratic ejections bouncing off the canopy and a few off of my Nevada Shooters cap. That I can fix if it keeps up past 500 rounds.
I'm going to go shoot my Shield this week and see if I notice it too.

Gunhand

Firearms Instructor
I have a P365 and took it to the range a couple of weeks ago. It shoots very well and extremely accurate. No fails to feed or fire, but I started to have a problem with the slide not locking to the rear after the last round was fired. I have the two 10 round mags that came with the gun, and two factory 12 rounders. I switched magazines, and the problem would still occur. I brought it home, cleaned it and the magazines, and I need to take back to the range. Of course unless it continues, it will be going back to Sig.

5x10

Retired X-Unit
Forum Supporter
Finally got a chance to make it to the range with the new Lightening Strike firing pin installed. If you're familiar with how Glocks breakdown, it's very similar in design. Shot three different type of ammo, Blazer Brass 124gr FMJ, Winchester RA9T "147gr Ranger" and Hornady Critical Duty. All exhibited the same firing pin swipe. I didn't notice any markings from the trigger spring to the back of the magazine as was mentioned in the Military Arms Channel. I cycled around another 200+ rounds of both FMJ and defense loads using both 10rnd and 12 rnd mags without a hiccup. Consistent lock back on each empty mag, no FTF/FTE. The P365 continues to be scary accuracy and I was tagging my steel silhouette center mass flapper from 20yrd out. I picked up a IWB Vedder Holster to try it out. Looks like it's going into the EDC rotation.

Attachments

titanNV

NRA Endowment Member
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Supporter
View attachment 31965
Row 1 (top row) for sure!